Do your kids have a huge problem with responsibilty (getting projects done, homework,

Discussion in 'Fifth Grade' started by Peachyness, Oct 26, 2007.

1. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Oct 26, 2007

Today, I had two things due: 10 questions about their planet that they had to answer that was part of their planet project (this was assigned beginning of October) and a short summary of a space research project that they would like to research.

We spent quite a bit talking about both projects.

Today: I had a good handful turn in the questions and a smaller handful turn in the summary.

I asked, what happened? Their responses: "I lost the paper", "I didn't get it", "I forgot", etc.

I felt like banging my head on the wall. Honeslty, I feel like I need to hold their hand for EVERYTHING!!! It's like I'm back in kindergarten.

I talk and go over and give examples and they gave examples... what more can I do!?

I told them that they needed to figure out how to be more responsble because when they get into junior high, it will be VERY tough and stressful.

ARGH!!!!!

3. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Oct 26, 2007

I'm seeing the same things! It's awful. My students just spend 15 class periods working on a research paper (5 paragraphs) on an explorer. They spent 4 class periods in Social Studies going to the computer lab and using books to get information and then we spent 11 writing class periods working on it. They were given the websites and books to get information from and even had the books to go back to for information the whole time they were writing. We developed a rubric for them to follow and I made a checklist that broke down what needed to be in each paragraph. Still, after 15 class periods working on it, I had students who handed nothing or next to nothing in. They really need to have their hands held for just about everything.

4. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Oct 26, 2007

Well, it's good to know that it's not my kids. What's annoying is that the other teacher didn't have this problem. She does have the gate class tough, but still. My kids had the advantage to see what her kids did for their projects. We used her class as an example of what they could do. And what did I get, "can I do volcanoes?" "I didn't get it." blah blah blah.

5. sue35

sue35 Habitué

Oct 26, 2007

I totally understand!! Today their science folders were due. It was for an entire 9 week unit. I had one child come up to me and told me that he didn't have it or anything in it because, "he has not had the time to get it" Not have the time!?!?!? You had 9 weeks!!!

The fact is, this is when the kids start to care more about social aspects of life. School isn't as important to them so they don't do the work. I am almost amused at the excuses I get. Nothing I do is working, I give detentions, now they want detentions because it is "cool". I do other things and nothing happens. Ugh!

6. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Oct 26, 2007

Well, won't they have a rude awakening when report cards come out! What's great is all of this is documented in their agendas, which must be signed by parents and their work is sent home in a folder, which is also signed by parents. That way, parents can't give me the excuse, "well why didn't you tell me that my chidl is failing!" HAH!!!

7. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Oct 26, 2007

Same story here. I have on average 3 people who do not turn in their assignments every day. We did a science project, and I made it worth about half their grade (I go by points, and it was 200 points) because their science grades were not great. Well, I had one who did not turn it in!!! I required a parent signature on the assignment, and his mom signed it. It was a research project on Endangered Species. When he didn't turn it in, I wrote in his Agenda for days that it had to be in TOMORROW. Never got it. I asked him why and he said he didn't have the internet or a library card. I had to inform him that library cards are FREE.
    I have 12 failing math. About 5 of those are due solely on missing assignments. Any failing grade in my other subjects (1-4 max in each) is completely due to missing assignments.
    I am SOOOOOO happy that I start conferences on Monday. I get to say, look! Your kid is FAILING because he has 18 missing assignments, and I notified you via his/her agenda every time! Not my problem, it's yours!!
    Of course, I will say it nicely!

8. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Oct 26, 2007

Our progress reports just went out last week and I've already had a few shocked kids. Of course, they had NO IDEA they were failing. The fact that I asked them for the same assignments 10 times and wrote letters home about it apparently meant nothing. We have trimesters so report cards won't be going home until after Thanksgiving, but I can already see that my conferences in December will be interesting!

9. desari

desari Rookie

Oct 26, 2007

What you guys are saying is totally enough for me to keep on my daughter who is in fifth grade. But at the same time I give a little leway for her to learn that she needs to be responsible and independent with her school work. The hard part for me as a parent/teacher is to know how to balance that out.

the procrastination factor is one of the few parts I am not looking forward to when having my own classroom.

10. pat72

pat72 New Member

Oct 27, 2007

I am glad I'm not alone. My students are not getting the idea that practice makes better. I review, review and review the same things in math over and over and they keep making the same mistakes. There is such apathy on their part. When you play games they act wild. So until you get them to maintain order there is little time left to play. I know this is partly their age but at the same time very frustrating!

11. wig

wig Devotee

Oct 27, 2007

I have fifth and sixth grade. After growing a bump on my head that is reminiscent of a unicorn from banging my head against the wall, I have learned to do the following:

• Always have checkpoint dates. For instance: for a research report, some part of it is due every few days, I t doesn't matter how much you do in class, without those checkpoints, for some of them it is not going to happen.
    • For missing assignments in general, their name goes on the board with the assignment. If I do not have it by Friday morning, I send an e-mail to the parents and make a copy of the e-mail for the student. My parents know I will do this. For those without e-mail access, I call.
    • No games the minute they lose self control. They get a paper assignment instead. If it is only a few, they get the paper assignment.
    • Same consequence for cooperative learning groups. Not contributing or causing problems? They are out of the group.

Truthfully, there are always one or two that never do "get it". But most of them do by the end of the first quarter.

12. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Oct 27, 2007

I follow some of the above guidelines from Wig.

However, in 4th, we try so hard to instill responsibility... but still, a few lose homework and classwork deep within the "realm" of their desks. They lose recess, a homework grade, and sometimes other privileges beyond that. With some, it doesn't click. With others, it does.

13. Jeky

Jeky Comrade

Oct 28, 2007

Hi! I'm new here and this is my first post....I have lurking for awhile but I finally registered.....
    Anyways, everything all of you are saying is EXACTLY how my fifth-graders are. No matter what I do, I have about 4 students who just manage to do nothing. It drives me crazy. They are inside every day at recess for not bringing in homework. I think part of it, however, might have to do with my class as a whole. I have a very middle-of-the-road group; not really any super high or super low kids. This makes it easy in a way; I don't have to differentiate nearly as much. However, I think it might be a factor in their motivation. I don't really have any kids who are super high achievers. I'm a first year teacher, by the way, and this whole thing is driving me crazy. I'm glad to see that other fifth grade teachers are going through the same thing though :)
    See ya around!

14. noreenk

noreenk Cohort

Oct 29, 2007

wig, i completely agree! i did a book report check today and about 1/3 of my students have no hope of being done by Wednesday's deadline. next time i know to do a mid-way point check instead of just a few days before so that I can let parents know that their child needs to step it up.

my lowest student is (unsurprisingly) my least responsible. funny thing is, mom has cancelled and/or simply not shown up to four parent conferences. i wonder where my student gets it from...

15. SnowDaisy822

SnowDaisy822 Companion

Nov 4, 2007

I'm having this problem as well. Up until now my kids haven't had to do any homework so this is their first experience with it. We fill out homework sheets every monday and most of them lose theirs by Thursday. Every day, only about half of my class turns in their work on time. I hand out missing assignment sheets almost every week. I've sent out progress reports and required parent signatures on each of them. The first time I had a lot of irate parents, but this last time they weren't as bad. I'm doing report cards on Friday so a lot kids are going to get a wake-up call. I have 3 kids who haven't turned in anything to me all year. It's so sad!

My other problem is that our 6th grade teacher decided that she wasn't getting homework turned in so she stopped assigning it. So all of my work through the year goes to waste when they go to her. Grrrr....

16. Jeky

Jeky Comrade

Nov 4, 2007

The worst thing ever: Having to make extra EXTRA copies of missing assignments a week after they are due. I feel like I should just make two class sets of every assignment at a time: one to pass out first and then one to pass out a week later after half the class "loses" it.
    GAH!

17. SnowDaisy822

SnowDaisy822 Companion

Nov 4, 2007

I hate that!!! Then the kids and parents get irritated when you don't have time to go copy it right then or you forget! Grrr!!!!!

18. Jeky

Jeky Comrade

Nov 4, 2007

Yeah! Or when the parents send me a note saying, "Please give so-and-so all the work they are missing so they can catch up". I'm like, "Okay, let me just go make ONE copy of every assignment we've had for the past two weeks....cool!"

:grumble:

19. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Nov 4, 2007

I usually make a couple of extras of everything. But I really, REALLY hate it when, on the day an assignment is due, they say, "I never got it"

20. Deeena

Deeena Cohort

Nov 4, 2007

Peachy,

Have you tried "charging" the students for extra copies? I know you use class money as a reward, so maybe if you have them pay for a new copy it would help them to keep better track of their things.

21. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Nov 5, 2007

:eek: I LOVE that idea!