Do you write in print, cursive, or a combination of both?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Em_Catz, Jul 3, 2014.

1. Em_Catz

Em_Catz Devotee

Jul 3, 2014

I prefer to write in print because it's easier to read and looks neater on the page then a bunch of cursive scribble.

HOWEVER, when I write in print for more than 10 - 15 minutes, my hand starts to cramp up and I have to switch back to cursive.

I guess writing in cursive comes more naturally to me because from third grade on, we were taught that "Cursive is king" and that writing in print was somehow wrong and immature.

I remember the torture of spending an hour everyday for MONTHS tracing dotted cursive letters over and over in third grade. I'd get bored and start making random loops, which would get me in trouble.

How about you all?

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 3, 2014

Combo for personal writing.
    Print in class for student focus charts, etc.

4. Maryhf

Maryhf Connoisseur

Jul 3, 2014

I typically use a strange hybrid. I can't use cursive in school anymore because my students can no longer write or read it.

5. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Jul 3, 2014

My district chose to continue to teach cursive, and while I don't require cursive in their work, I believe they really need to know how to read it because so many use cursive.

My own handwriting is not great unless I really slow down, but I usually write in cursive for myself, and print if someone else will be reading it.

6. Jerseygirlteach

Jerseygirlteach Groupie

Jul 3, 2014

I've always felt more comfortable with print, so I print. In the classroom, I couldn't use cursive anyway because my kids don't know how to read it.

7. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jul 3, 2014

I mostly print, but some letters end up connecting.
    Since I taught 5th for so long, I used my regular writing. When I went to 2nd, I very rarely wrote anything by hand since I used my ActivBoard so much. I did make sure to print the little that I wrote. Kindergarten was a struggle for me. I always printed, but I learned D'Nealian, so as much as I tried not to give my letters 'tails', sometimes they had them. They would then tell me that I wrote it incorrectly. I finally had to tell my kids that "I'm sorry. I try really hard to write the letters correctly, but I learned a different way in kindergarten. I'm trying my best!"

8. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Jul 3, 2014

I write cursive for personal use, but I print at school because the kids can't read it anymore.

9. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Jul 3, 2014

For personal use it's a combination. At school, it depends on what grade I'm working with.

10. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jul 3, 2014

My handwriting is a cursive/print hybrid.

When writing on the board in class I try to print because many of my students were educated in other countries and did not learn cursive.

11. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Jul 3, 2014

Mainly cursive, sometimes combining it with print...at school, for the kids, I do use print.

12. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Jul 3, 2014

Cursive. All the time.

13. bros

bros Phenom

Jul 3, 2014

It's a horrifying combination of both. It's print letters with the flow of cursive. It's a great example of severe dysgraphia at work.

How would you describe this (Sample is from 2006-2007)?

[​IMG]

14. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

Jul 4, 2014

I have not written in cursive since it was required in school, which I think ended around 4th grade. We learned it in 3rd and then were required to write it in for the rest of the year to "practice." I can't remember 4th, but I know for sure I was back to printing in 5th. My handwriting in general is very sloppy so I type whenever I can. I can print neatly, it just takes a really long time for me to handwrite things if I want it to look nice.

15. geoteacher

geoteacher Devotee

Jul 4, 2014

I intentionally use both at school. So many students begin to lose the ability to read cursive by the time they get to me. I think that's a shame because so much of our history is written in cursive.

16. Go Blue!

Go Blue! Connoisseur

Jul 4, 2014

My handwriting is atrocious - everyone always thinks my students have forged notes/passes when I write them - so I only write in print for the benefit of mankind.

17. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Jul 5, 2014

I always print very neatly.

I use cursive so infrequently that I often make mistakes when I'm writing because I forget how to properly write the letters.

Another teacher asked me one day, "Wait a sec...is that a font or your actual handwriting???"

I guess I'm a perfectionist.

18. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jul 5, 2014

I honestly don't have to write by hand much. When I do, it's more cursive than printing, but kind of a combo of both...whether for my work/school notes OR on my own free time (such as when jotting a grocery list). For fun, I did tk a calligraphy writing class once, but have no need to really use it.

19. Bunnie

Bunnie Devotee

Jul 5, 2014

My regular style is a combination of print, script and calligraphy.

When I was in 5th grade I convinced my teacher I write much faster in print then script. Which was true.

While teaching everything is in print. Most everyday stuff is in print too. Only when I'm taking notes or writing for a long period of time do I write in script. And of course when I sign my name.