Do you WOW the kids on the first day?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by heavens54, Aug 26, 2012.

1. heavens54

heavens54 Connoisseur

Aug 26, 2012

If yes, how do you do this? I'd like to make a good first impression and do something that makes them say, "WOW, we will have fun learning this year in this class." Any ideas? My grade is fourth.

3. HistTchr

HistTchr Habitué

Aug 26, 2012

I don't really do anything different on the first day compared to other days in my class! I usually have students fill out information sheets, then I go over the syllabus, show a short video about why we should study history, and then give out a "syllabus quiz" that students begin in class and finish for homework. I like to have a "business as usual" attitude on day one. That's just my style, though!

4. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Virtuoso

Aug 26, 2012

I teacher middle school, so I want the "wow" to be more like "Wow, she really means business." I throw the fun stuff in later.

5. njteach41

njteach41 Middle School Social Studies Teacher

Aug 26, 2012

is the video on why we should study history and online video... i was actually looking for something like that

6. HistTchr

HistTchr Habitué

Aug 26, 2012

Yeah, it's on Youtube. I have shown it for the past couple of years and the kids have really liked it. Here's the link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vgmNkYUL_Cw

Last year I gave students post-it notes after I showed the video. I had them each write down one reason why they thought it was important that they studied history in school. I typed up all of their responses and reviewed them on the 2nd day of class before getting into my first intro lesson.

7. oldfashioned

oldfashioned Comrade

Aug 26, 2012

Congratulations on being newly credentialed and hired!

As for the "WOW" factor in my class, I like it to come during and especially after the learning, so the kids say, "Wow! I'm really working hard and learning a lot!" Or, "Wow! Look at the great progress on my post-test compared to my pre-test." If your students don't notice and say these "Wows" on their own, you should definitely point them out.

8. njteach41

njteach41 Middle School Social Studies Teacher

Aug 26, 2012

thank you so much, that is a great video :)

9. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Aug 26, 2012

We have a half day the first day of school, which leaves us about 20 minutes to really do anything. The first day is normally an intro to the class, pass out syllabus, procedures, etc.

10. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Aug 26, 2012

No, my seniors thought I was mean after the first day :lol: I like to just lay out expectations and get moving into the work. They will soon figure out that the class is pretty fun as long as they participate.

11. Mathemagician

Mathemagician Groupie

Aug 26, 2012

The only WOW I plan on the first day is "Wow, why did all of my old math teachers keep this a secret from me!" This is WolframAlpha.

12. jwteacher

jwteacher Cohort

Aug 26, 2012

I always try to make a lasting first impression, so yes, I wow them the first day. But I don't lay up on classroom management.

13. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Aug 26, 2012

We were talking about this the other day. I do want them to want to come back. ;) With the younger ones, sometimes day 2 is harder.

14. heavens54

heavens54 Connoisseur

Aug 26, 2012

What is WolframAlpha?

15. Mathemagician

Mathemagician Groupie

Aug 26, 2012

http://www.wolframalpha.com/

It can solve almost anything we do in HS math (well except word problems)...systems of equations, any types of equations, computations, integrals, derivatives, factoring, graphing, etc. I tell them I almost never have my graphing calc with me, but I always have a laptop, the site is free, and it can do much more than the calculator. I always add in that I do check work since they can't use it for tests, but it is great for checking answers and making tedious calculations simpler.

It also shows the steps for many of the solutions.

16. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Aug 26, 2012

So true! I want them to want to come back the next day, so I try to make the day fun and engaging. But let's face it, there's a lot of practicing routines and procedures.

Last year, at the end of the first day, one boy came up to me and said, "I like kindergarten better." So, I guess I didn't 'wow' that one!

17. Mathemagician

Mathemagician Groupie

Aug 26, 2012

Be sure to find the little fellow this year to see what he thinks about second!

18. iteachbx

iteachbx Enthusiast

Aug 26, 2012

I don't do anything too special on the first day- it's too hectic! We do tons of wow things throughout the year, I'm not too worried about first impressions. The first day I'm all about setting the tone as far as expectations for academics and behavior go.

19. HockeyFan13

HockeyFan13 Rookie

Aug 26, 2012

Thanks for sharing this video! I was planning on having a discussion about why we study history but having this video will make it much better.

20. HistTchr

HistTchr Habitué

Aug 26, 2012

No problem! :D

21. treefrogs

treefrogs Rookie

Aug 26, 2012

Tried to the first day of school my first year, didn't quick go as I planned. I think having two different types of plans is good. That way if your day isn't going as expected you can change to a different type of strategy.

I like to give students the purpose of the class. Overall, I think creating an engaging lesson is more important than an entertaining lesson. I really liked the history video; I wish I had a social studies class this year. :D

22. Cerek

Cerek Aficionado

Aug 27, 2012

Since I am in a new school and new grade, I did decide to give the students a little "WOW" factor on the first day. I did it by using the "magic trick" in this video....

"I Can Read Your Mind"

The kids loved it! :D I didn't tell them the trick. Instead, I told them I would give a reward to the first person that could bring in a written explanation of how it worked. ;)

23. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 27, 2012

Honestly, it's not something that I worry about.

We're getting right into the material, talking about the logic necessary for geometry.

24. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 27, 2012

I work hard to reach, teach and connect with kids every day...my students will go home happy and energized about our year together, just as I will...but not because of any razzle dazzle...I'd like to think its because together we create a welcoming, caring and accepting classroom where all are valued.

25. Miss84

Miss84 Comrade

Aug 27, 2012

Yes! And being that they are young-just exaggerating every little thing (i.e. storytime) gets them really excited!