Do you work other jobs?

Discussion in 'General Education Archives' started by Mjohn78, Apr 21, 2006.

1. Mjohn78

Mjohn78 Rookie

Apr 21, 2006

We all know teachers starting out dont make much money...So do any of you current teachers work other jobs to make extra money? Does your husband/wife's salary help? Or do you just "live within your means"?

Thanks

3. ViolaSwamp

ViolaSwamp Habitué

Apr 21, 2006

I subbed for several years and managed to do it nearly everyday the full 7 hours. I waitressed from 2-5 days a week. Now I just teach and tutor a little on the side ($40 an hour).

4. TeacherC

TeacherC Connoisseur

Apr 21, 2006

I sub and my husbands pay helps. However, I am a little worried about that month and 1/2 over the summer...I would love a short-term full-time job!

5. wikteacher

wikteacher Rookie

Apr 21, 2006

Yep. I also work as a certified nursing assistant in a local hospital's OB department. I work at least 4 twelve hour shifts per month, usually more though. And I work at least full time hours there in the summer. I also fill in ocassionally at a local family daycare. I can't pay all my bills on my teaching salary.

6. MrsMikesell

MrsMikesell Cohort

Apr 21, 2006

When I first started teaching, I was single and made less than $15,000 a year. With over $600 a month with rent, car payments, insurance, gas and all of that, I ate a lot of Ramen noodles!

Kelly :)

7. ponton670

ponton670 Rookie

Apr 21, 2006

work other job

I used to teach summer school for added money but after a few years decided I needed the summer off. Now I work at a grain elevator during harvest in the fall. I work in the office after school and then on the weekends. The pay is good and I use the money for Christmas and then rest goes in the savings for emergencies during the year. Another perk to this job is it is where my boyfriend works and if I didn't work I probably woulnd't see him much between Labor Day and Thanksgiving!!!
    I don't think I would be able to do much else during the school year--my school job keeps me too busy to do anything else.

8. AChancetoTeach

AChancetoTeach Comrade

Apr 21, 2006

This will be my first year to have a "teaching salary". I've been a stay-at-home mom/student for the last 10 years and therefore lived on my husband's salary. We've done alright, just try to live within our means, no credit cards, etc. If we can't pay for it now, we don't buy it.

9. kimrandy1

kimrandy1 Enthusiast

Apr 21, 2006

When I was a new teacher, I had to work two jobs in the summertime - a retail position in the evenings and weekends and a camp counselor position during the day. We didn't get paid year round, just during the school year. The camp position alone was enough for me to live on, and I saved the money from the retail job for Xmas and emergencies. Then I got married, and with two salaries, but just one mortgage, we did well. And the district started offering a full year pay schedule, too, so it got a lot easier to manage the summer. However, then we had kids, and the daycare bill was HUGE, so I had to take on a couple of tutoring kids, and I did that for several years. We're finally at a good place financially, and it only took me 15 years of teaching to get here!
    Kim

10. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Apr 21, 2006

No, I don't work any other jobs. I might consider working in a retail job if we lived in a larger city, just because I enjoy having something to do. However, our town is VERY small and there aren't really any jobs around. By the time I drove TO a town where they had jobs, I'd be spending everything I made in gas--especially now--so I just stay put during the summers and holidays.

My husband's job is less than part time. (He's in charge of all the housework, too.) His money is enough to cover the utilities and an occasional "fun" item or two. My job covers everything else. We live within our means--for the most part--and live in an area with a lower cost of living. We're such a small town, that teaching is actually in top 5 highest paying jobs!

11. Mjohn78

Mjohn78 Rookie

Apr 21, 2006

That stinks, I was hoping to hear everyone was getting by on their teaching salary alone..LOL Im leaving my current job because I want more time to spend with my son...Not to work 2 jobs..

Hopefully I can live within my means..

12. hojalata

hojalata Comrade

Apr 22, 2006

I think it totally depends on what state you start teaching in. I teach in MI and a first year salary is $38k. I think that's plenty to live on! Of course, I don't have any kids. I guess it's not so much when you have kids. But, I think anyone could do it-- if they set their priorities and were willing to not have the big screen, Nintendo, all the newest stuff, etc...

13. Teacherella

Teacherella Habitué

Apr 22, 2006

Here in NJ, the starting salary with a BA is around $42,000 in most districts. It's about $3,000-5,000 more with a MA. But, the cost of property and homes in NJ is incredibly hard to keep up with. $42,000 or more sounds like a great starting salary, but it doesn't get you far in NJ! It totally depends on where you live.

Right now, I'm a graduate student getting my MAT in Elem. Ed., but I work as a substitute teacher and a part-time nanny. My husband works full-time and we could live off of his salary alone, but we choose to have me work part-time for emergency money or just so we can save up.

14. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Apr 22, 2006

My husband and I have a small cleaning business on the side. It's good money...averaging out to around $25.00/hour...we don't work by the hour, but by the job. It's worth it, but can raise havoc with your weekends! Still better than doing retail or something that takes up 8 hours per day.

15. katerina03

katerina03 Devotee

Apr 22, 2006

I have been cleaning houses on the side for about 5 years while I was in college and student teaching. It was great because I could schedule my customers around my classes and all. Plus the money was so good. I could work only 15 hours a week (cleaning homes) and make $200 dollars. Now that I have a long term sub job, I can't do the side jobs anymore because I need my weekend free for lesson planning and all that fun stuff :( I had to find someone to take over my customers and it feels good to just be a "teacher".

16. gigi

gigi Groupie

Apr 22, 2006

I guess I work two jobs, I teach full time 3 days a week, and sub the other two when called. I work all summer at a summer camp, this will be my 9th summer there. Someday I will get back to having summers off, but for now with 2 in college, no can do.

17. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Apr 22, 2006

Once I'm hired, I should be starting in the early $40K/year range (since I'll have my MA & 2 credentials). Once I've been teaching for 2-3 years & get settled to the point where I know everything backwards & forwards, I plan to get into real estate part time. If I do well in real estate, who knows, I just might quit teaching & do real estate full time! I also currently have an internet business on the side.

18. awaxler

awaxler Comrade

Apr 23, 2006

It's sad that most teachers must work second jobs just to get by. I always found it funny that people go into teaching so they can spend more time with their family only to find themselves working most weekends preparing for the upcoming week or taking required classes...and then find themselves working during the summer to be able to continue to pay the bills.

Personally, I do work a second job, but it is my own business and it directly relates to teaching. I have several teaching websites that sell education ebooks that I have written as well as a newsletter and blog that publishes weekly teaching tips. In fact, Amanda sells much of my work right here on this site.

Believe it or not this is not difficult to do (though it can become quite time consuming). In fact, I am hoping that one day in the not-too far-future that my side business wil become my full-time job.

The best part about doing this type of work is that you are still doing what you love to do...

I have written a special report about how to do just what I did and you can download it for free right here: http://www.teaching-teacher.com/teachermoney.pdf

Hope you like it...

Best Wishes,
    Adam Waxler

19. MisterG

MisterG Comrade

Apr 25, 2006

I guess it depends where you live. In Vegas, my fiancee and I were both teaching and combined...60k wasnt paying all the bills. Now we are in southern MN and her salary is a little higher (32k I think)...and we would be fine if I hadnt purchased my motorcycle, lol. But Im working as a para during the day and at a Wal Mart at night. Out of the house from about 8 am till 10:30-11pm.

20. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Apr 25, 2006

I agree J newbie! our salaries are about the same here in NY. As a first time home buyer with a mortgage over 320, 000 it is manageable, but cutting corners is a must.

21. Mjohn78

Mjohn78 Rookie

Apr 25, 2006

You think after 2-3 years you will know everything about teaching? Not saying it cant happen, but that sounds sorta hard to believe..LOL I have been doing my job for 8+ years and I still learn new things..

Also just curious as to why you would do all the schooling you are doing if your not even sure you want to teach..seems like real estate is your main goal. Just wondering?

22. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Apr 25, 2006

Just a side comment MissFrizzle...it amazes me how much more homes cost in other parts of the country. A 320,000 home around here would be an absolute mansion and only doctors and attorneys and the like can afford them. The average "nice" home here is around 150.000(and no I don't have one of those...mine is a cottage on the lake that most people would have as a summer home!

23. Rosieo

Rosieo Enthusiast

Apr 25, 2006

Grammy I would love to live in a cottage on a lake...lucky you!

24. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Apr 25, 2006

Well, it's not a fancy cottage by any means. It's old and has creaky floors and old cupboards that I have painted my cat's pictures on! The living room is rather large and has the original wood floor . That's my favorite part of the house. We have always lived modestly and in some strange houses. This one felt like home the minute I walked into it. I feel as though I've always lived here.
    I would love to have a new home right on this site, but that ain't gonna happen!

25. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Apr 25, 2006

Grammy, your cottage sounds lovely... I mean it! I love country type homes, and you are right you definitely get more for your money in other parts of the US that's for sure. I have property the size of a postage stamp! LOLOL
    BTW, your cabinets w/the cat's pictures sound adorable!

26. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Apr 25, 2006

Grammy, in case your wondering why I bought.. It's becuause 300K plus was considered a bargain a year ago.. these little fixer uppers are going for mid 400-500!!!!! It's pathetic

27. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Apr 25, 2006

Wow! I just can't get over that! We bought this house 10 years ago for 30,000!!! We have a huge yard and the lake is right behind us.

28. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Apr 25, 2006

Grammy I'm packing my bags and heading out your way!!!!!:)

29. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Apr 25, 2006

O.K. just look for "the middle of nowhere!" It's Little HOuse on the Prairie, so bring your bib overalls and we'll get a campfire going for ya!

30. jpre-k teacher

jpre-k teacher Companion

Apr 25, 2006

I never used to work additional jobs before, but I'm planning to go back to school next year. This year I've started teaching private English lessons twice a week. I miss the extra free time, but the extra money helps in my quest to save for tuition fees! I am determined not to get another loan if it is at all possible.

31. Teacher379

Teacher379 Companion

Apr 26, 2006

I was thinking about a second job next school year....I know of this preschool that offers hours up to midnight...I was thinking about seeing if they have any positions open...I know I'll be tired during the day, but even if I do it 3 out of the 5 days will help me. It's easier too, because I could have my daughter with me, I wouldn't have to worry about childcare for her.

32. Pecas

Pecas Companion

Apr 26, 2006

I am trying to figure out what to do with myself over the summer. I have applied for some summer school teaching jobs, but they are only half a day and 4 days a week. I have no kids, and my husband works 40 hrs at his job, so I would get really bored, I think. I also want to work a job that doesn't require weekends or late nights, because I want to work the same hours he does and still be able to travel to our family's cabin on the weekends. Any ideas??!?

33. Mrs.SLF

Mrs.SLF Comrade

Apr 26, 2006

Try being a camp counselor at a day camp. You would only have to work during the day (unless it was a specialty camp) and you would have weekends off. I loved being a camp counselor!!! It was so much fun and you get to do great and innovative things with your campers! Good luck!

34. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Apr 26, 2006

I work part time at a teacher supply store (very dangerous) and hope to get a second part time job over the summer so I have something to put in savings. Right now it's simply paychek to paycheck and still tight.

35. Pecas

Pecas Companion

Apr 26, 2006

I wish I had more options like the two you have mentioned. We live in a Semi-Small town and are pretty limited for job opportunities. I stopped by the public library this afternoon and picked up an application. I am excited about possibly working there, but I am pretty sure they will only pay me minimum wage, which around here is terribly low. I wish I was back in my home-town...so much more to choose from and they paid so much better, too!!!

36. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Apr 27, 2006

I know that everyone learns something new everyday no matter if they've been in the same profession for 20 yrs. I'm talking about knowing the basic procedures. For example, I want to be an RSP teacher & I've been told by numerous teachers that it takes about 2-3 yrs to fully know the basic procedures, like how to hold an IEP meeting, the types of documents involved, deadlines to do types of procdures, etc.

A far as real estate being my main goal or not, I'm the type of person who loves learning all kinds of new things. My mother always told me to keep learning even when I'm 80 yrs old. If you ever saw my resume, you'd be surprised by all the variety of things I've accomplished (for my age). I also have an internet business & my notary public certification! I think I'm a multi-faceted person. My mother also taught me to learn all I can because you never know what you'll have to end up doing in life. The more one knows, the better!

37. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Apr 27, 2006

Speaking of cost of living, in my area, a modest 2-3 bedroom, 2 bathroom home sells for 550K - 799K.

38. hanvan

hanvan Connoisseur

Apr 28, 2006

Thats horrible!

39. hanvan

hanvan Connoisseur

Apr 28, 2006

I am surprised too! An average home here cost 150-200,000 and thats a 2000ish sq. ft house, 3-4 bedrooms, 2 baths etc. Nothing over the top but it won't break the bank either.

40. Pecas

Pecas Companion

Apr 28, 2006

Houses in my area are going from 190,000-300,000, which isn't bad, but they are not nice houses. We live in really old area and it seems no one takes care of their historic houses. The area we want to move to has houses priced from 240,000-400,000.

41. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Apr 28, 2006

My house is a 2 floor, 2 family home with two bedrooms and one bathroom on each floor. It was built around 1900 and really isn't in spectacular condition (it's not falling apart, but could use A LOT of updating). It was appraised about a month ago at $350,000. You really can't get anything decent for under $300,000. My friend's parents' house is a 3 bedroom, 2 bathroom, good-sized home, but it is on a very small plot of land. It's a little newer (probably built in the 1970s or so) and was appraised last year at $550,000. The prices really are ridiculous!