Do you work another job in the summer?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by kellyr, Dec 7, 2012.

1. kellyr

kellyr Rookie

Dec 7, 2012

I'm wondering if most teachers teach summer school, pick up another job, or just enjoy their time off....

I'm trying to decide what I'll do. :cool:

3. orangetea

orangetea Connoisseur

Dec 7, 2012

I usually teach summer school, but I'm not teaching it this summer because I would need to take a week or two off in July.

4. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Dec 7, 2012

I work a 2nd job year-round.

5. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Dec 7, 2012

I need my summers off. I try to spend them reading, vacationing, and sleeping.

6. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Dec 7, 2012

Nope, full-time mommy! Before I had kids, I did work another job all year.

7. mcqxu

mcqxu Comrade

Dec 7, 2012

I didn't work this past summer because I was taking 9 credit hours. I'm not sure yet about this coming summer.

8. Cicero

Cicero Companion

Dec 7, 2012

This will be my first summer, but I am thinking about picking up a retail job if I can find one. I haven't done the best job at saving money throughout the year so far, so I don't know if I will have enough to live comfortably through the summer (on 10 month pay with the last payment in May).

9. lucybelle

lucybelle Connoisseur

Dec 7, 2012

Just started my second "summer". And nope, I will not be working. The reason I love teaching so much is the chance to travel during vacations. My first "summer" I went on a road trip through eastern USA. This past "winter" break I went to Germany. This "summer" break starting now I'm going skiing in the USA, going home for a week (in the USA), and going to some beaches here.

I live like a pauper all year long to afford my summer vacations! So I freaking live it up! :)

10. kellyr

kellyr Rookie

Dec 7, 2012

Wow some of you have second jobs year round??? What do yall do, if you dont mind me asking?

I'm at school so flipping much with coaching I can't even imagine another job! But I'm not coaching any sports after the Xmas break, so I will be getting off at 3:30! Woohoo!

The thought of making extra $$$ in the summer is very tempting...

But the thought of having time to go to the gym, take my daughter out of daycare and go on lots of fun trips, make crafts and tend to my garden.....all of that is EXTREMELY tempting....

11. CindyBlue

CindyBlue Cohort

Dec 7, 2012

I worked summers (teaching summer school, working at a book store) to pay off school bills and kids' college expenses, then took a summer off for the first time in 30 years and loved it so much that I hope never to have to work in the summer again.

12. Rockguykev

Rockguykev Connoisseur

Dec 7, 2012

I haven't worked a Summer yet and hope I never have to. I wouldn't mind terribly doing summer school but we haven't had it in years due to budget cuts. I definitely don't want to have a non-teaching job though. Been there, done that.

13. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Dec 7, 2012

I don't have a job in the summer. I always use summer to work on all the house projects I don't have time to do during the school year.

Most years my summer vacation is 6 weeks, and that's not taking into account the workshops and professional days. I'm also in a very small town, so there aren't many jobs anyway.

Last summer was unusual because we had 12 weeks off. That seemed like forever, but I still had plenty of house projects to keep me busy.

14. kellyr

kellyr Rookie

Dec 7, 2012

Aww good for you! Glad you got some time to yourself!

15. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Dec 7, 2012

Used to for many years, but not since I got my latest permanent SLP job. Hopefully, I'll never have to again.

16. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Dec 7, 2012

I work at a teacher store. I have a hard time making it on $32,000 alone with my student loan payment. My 2nd job gives me money to do fun things (when I have time!). I pick up more hours in the summer.

17. PinkCupcake

PinkCupcake Cohort

Dec 7, 2012

This past summer I worked as a nanny for a boy and girl ages 6 and 10. The extra money was nice, but I didn't have as much time for things I planned as I thought. I don't think I want to take another summer job. I have two trips planned for next summer.

18. EMonkey

EMonkey Connoisseur

Dec 7, 2012

I use the summer to work on my house, go to PDs, and goof off.

19. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Dec 7, 2012

No, no, no! :)

20. PolarBear

PolarBear Rookie

Dec 7, 2012

My wife works for a major rental car firm at the Airport as a Return Agent during the summer. Pays really well, and offers some generous perks (like a company Car for a nominal fee). She also works a few hours every weekend with the same firm, and flips to full-time during longer breaks and vacations. (Did I mention we have a daughter in college?). This keeps her in the scheduling cycle and perks throughout the school year.

I also work for another major rental car firm at their Corporate Office, also out by the Airport. Doesn't pay as well as the wife's gig, but is an enjoyable, low stress way to earn quite a bit of extra money during the summer. I will also occasionally work for them on weekends when asked.

21. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Dec 7, 2012

In the past I've worked at ESY (summer school for sped students). It was a great summer job. It was low stress because the ratio of kids to teachers/aides was extremely small, we got paid for planning so no work at home, and the pay was excellent. I worked 12 hours a week (3 hours 3 days a week of actual teaching, plus an hour of paid planning a day) and literally made almost what I did normally for the regular 40 hour workweek. I could double my paychecks in the summer working 12 hours a week :). That was in my previous district... it would be amazing if I could do something similiar here but I'm not sure I'll be that lucky twice! I'll try to get some sort of job either way. I need the money and I'd be bored silly not working for the entire summer. The greatly reduced schedule/stress level was plent of "break" for me.

22. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Dec 8, 2012

I sometimes teach for the community college.

I tend to do a lot of PD in the summer.

23. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Dec 8, 2012

That's how I feel...I wouldn't want to take on something full time in the summer, but working even 30 hours per week is a break for me!

24. Accountable

Accountable Companion

Dec 8, 2012

I like to work with my hands, so I used to work summers with a small sub-contractor as a carpenter's helper. We installed cabinetry in schools, hospitals, etc. The pay was low but I was there for the camaraderie. The company's gone now but I learned lots of skills that I use puttering around the house.

25. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Dec 8, 2012

:thumb: and I work on my list of 100 books to read!

26. Kat53

Kat53 Devotee

Dec 8, 2012

In the past I've done seasonal work for The New Teacher Project. If you live near a major city where they have a program, they have some good opportunities. Right now they have a couple of work from home opportunities which pay around $22-25/hr. It helps if you've had some sort of leadership positions (facilitating PD, coaching teachers, etc). PM me if you want more details. I have highly enjoyed my work with them.

My current job is 12 months so I work summers. In the past I've taught summer school.

27. readingrules12

readingrules12 Aficionado

Dec 8, 2012

I have taught summer school a few times when $$$ was really low. Now finances are okay, so no work for me except some coming up with some new lessons for the new school year.

28. FourSquare

FourSquare Fanatic

Dec 8, 2012

Thank you! I just applied for their summer facilitator job. I think this looks fantastic. :woot:

29. Curiouscat

Curiouscat Comrade

Dec 9, 2012

I have never worked in the summer. We live well below our means so it isn't necessary. I wouldn't mind teaching summer school in my system, but the drive is too far for just 2 hours a day. The school systems close to hi e don't offer summer school.

30. Kat53

Kat53 Devotee

Dec 9, 2012

Cool!! Hope it works out!

31. heavens54

heavens54 Connoisseur

Dec 9, 2012

Where on the website can you find the seasonal work? I didn't find that. Interesting web site. I've never heard of this program.

32. Emily Bronte

Emily Bronte Groupie

Dec 9, 2012

I used to. I might work summer school this summer, but I am not sure if I really want to just yet.

33. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Dec 9, 2012

I have considered it, but rejected the idea because:
    1. I am old and need to "rest up" for the school year (HAH)
    2. I spend most of my summers getting ready for the upcoming school year - professional development & planning, etc. (this is VERY true)
    3. Summer is when I clean my house! LOL

34. melnm

melnm Companion

Dec 9, 2012

I taught summer school the year I was pregnant with my first kiddo. I do some seasonal work in the spring but hope not to have to ever work summers. That is time for me to spend with my kids.

35. FourSquare

FourSquare Fanatic

Dec 9, 2012

:lol: Right?! I just did a load of dishes AND made lunch for tomorrow. This is quite an accomplishment for me! :yawn:

36. kellyr

kellyr Rookie

Dec 10, 2012

$32000? Geez I could not make it on that. I'm a first year teacher in an extremely poor district. For teachers with no experience, you start at $46,000. Plus the cost of living here is not too bad. I can't believe there is such a huge difference in pay in different areas. (I'm brand new to the teaching world...I am a career changer)

37. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Dec 10, 2012

I work for Praxis grading all through the year. This summer I mowed lawns. I hated it, but made great money. My son had signed a contract with a foreclosure company and we mowed their lawns and weedeated. It was hard work, but I felt better than I have in years.