Do you Web 2.0?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by mdee, Nov 1, 2009.

1. mdee

mdee Rookie

Nov 1, 2009

I would like to use Web 2.0 applications in my classroom, but when I search Web 2.0 applications there are too many to choose from. It's overwhelming! I find so many of them are not applicable to using in my classroom. The few I have used are wordle, sumopaint and bubble.us. Wordle is fun to use with writing, sumopaint is a very cool paint program, and bubble.us is a program for creating a graphic organizer. Each of these I discovered by talking to other teachers. So, do you have a Web 2.0 application that you like to use? What do you use it for?
    Thanks for sharing!!!

3. ancientcivteach

ancientcivteach Habitué

Nov 1, 2009

Hi!

Think to yourself, what do I want my students to do or learn, then look for an application that meets those needs.

Technology shouldn't be an add on - what is something coming up, some learning activity that can be replaced, preferably bettered through technology?

Give us a list and I'm sure we can help you come up with some applications.

4. BioAngel

BioAngel Science Teacher - Grades 3-6

Nov 1, 2009

I use Moodle to include discussion forums (something like this one) and blogs (we're discussing our plant experiments right now).

I also use pbworks.com to make free class wiki's (we'll be researching questions we have about plants and use the wiki to post our answers).

I use a program called Jing to take screen shots and edit to add in my own notes, etc. Students can then use Jing to take their own screen shot and add their own ideas. It can do videos too which is useful for students who have been absent (videos with voice).

Another tool I haven't used but is very cool is VoiceThread. I've seen kids use it to do virtual book reports, which then allows other students to either type comments or use a mic and record a comment.

I have more of my favorite links (should update it some time :whistle:) at my site: http://www.scienceeducator.net/apps/links/

5. mdee

mdee Rookie

Nov 2, 2009

You made my day!

Thank you for all of your ideas. Your site is wonderful. I bookmarked several of your Web 2.0 apps!!
    Much appreciated.

6. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Nov 2, 2009

I have a site that describes tech tools: http://edutechiegal.wordpress.com (I haven't updated it in awhile, honestly, Twitter has replaced blogging for me).

But, it all depends on what you need/want your students to do, then finding a tool to enhance learning.

7. mdee

mdee Rookie

Nov 5, 2009

You're the Best!!!!!

Dear ku_alum,

I can't thank you enough! I bookmarked almost every one of your sites. I have a smart board and so many of the sites lend to using the smart board interactively. I really appreciate you sharing all of this with me!!

8. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Nov 5, 2009

Cool! I'm glad my site is helpful. I wish I still took time to update it. Maybe over the winter break.

9. mariah

mariah Rookie

Nov 5, 2009

I teach in the computer lab so I will be using web 2.0 more and more. So far this year, I've used Wordle, Glogster EDU, Kerpoof, and GoogleDocs.

10. mdee

mdee Rookie

Nov 6, 2009

Mariah, I checked out these great links. Wordle is awesome and I've used it. Glogster is new to me. I love it! Kerpoof seems easy enough and I have used Google Docs before. Thank you so much for sharing these with me! I really appreciate it!

11. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Nov 6, 2009

Yes, please!

12. vannapk

vannapk Groupie

Nov 7, 2009

Yes, I think web 2.0 is essential to becomming a more effective and efficient teacher. I teach pre-k so the applications I use may be different than the those that teachers of other grades use. You can see my favorites on my Web 2.0 page for teachers. I also have a moodle page for our district teachers and we use wimba too, two programs our district provides for us.

13. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Nov 7, 2009

Thank you for sharing so many great sites, everyone! I've been trying to incorporate more of this stuff, so these were super helpful!

:)