Do you want to ban the Silly Bandz?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by SpecSub, May 27, 2010.

1. SpecSub

SpecSub Comrade

May 27, 2010

I know for our students, they are the biggest distractions ever. The kids play with them on their wrists during instruction, fight over them, lose them, etc. Do you see the same problems?

3. hac711

hac711 Companion

May 27, 2010

the most annoying things ever...especially when they trade them. And I work in a boys school!!! I wouldn't think boys would care so much about bracelets!!

4. BioAngel

BioAngel Science Teacher - Grades 3-6

May 27, 2010

Its been okay in my school so far--- but I think parents should be the ones making the decision for their children. Schools should notify parents about this distraction and if the students still show up with them, well that tells you about what great parenting is being done.

I see a lot of my students having them but they know I would take away all of them from the whole class if it was an issue--- and NO they would not be getting them back.

What DID become sort of a distraction/issue with my students were those erasers that come in different shapes, like animals, pizza, sushi, etc. I take them away and after the class leaves, they get tossed in the trash. Parents who are paying $2-3 for a tiny eraser are crazy.

5. Mrs. R.

Mrs. R. Connoisseur

May 27, 2010

I am both a teacher and a parent. My daughters (age 6 and 8) each have silly bands. They purchase them with their own money, and we have had discussions about when it is appropriate and in appropriate to trade/show them to other kids/etc.

Really, these things are less distracting than other things that have been popular over the years. That could be because I teach seventh grade and the girls mostly wear them like jelly bracelets.

6. tracykaliski

tracykaliski Connoisseur

May 27, 2010

Fortunately we haven't seen them in our school so far. Hopefully they'll die down by the time school starts in the fall again.

7. TampaTeacher2Be

TampaTeacher2Be Comrade

May 27, 2010

We have also not had a problem with them in my school, but I am in a middle school as well. My kids all wear a ton of them on their wrists, and a few have started linking them together to make necklaces, but they don't really take them off or trade them. At least, not during classes. We also haven't had any stolen/missing issues.

8. VANewbie

VANewbie Devotee

May 27, 2010

I don't think they should be banned but I am SICK of them. I tell my kids if I catch them playing with them I will cut them off.

9. sevenplus

sevenplus Connoisseur

May 27, 2010

I'm beginning to get irritated by them, but I treat them the same way as any other jewelry. If they are off the wrist and being played with, I have the student put them in a backpack.

Do you really think it is okay to throw away and/or destroy a student's property? I totally understand confiscating them, and even making a parent come pick them up, but I don't agree that it is within our bounds to take and discard/destroy things that don't belong to us.

10. VANewbie

VANewbie Devotee

May 27, 2010

Its just a joke. I would never do it. lol

11. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

May 27, 2010

I've had one problem...not so bad, in my opinion.

12. sevenplus

sevenplus Connoisseur

May 27, 2010

Gotcha. :)

Still wondering about the teachers who throw them away.

13. VANewbie

VANewbie Devotee

May 27, 2010

One of my teammates throws them away. My kids know not to play with them. They know that teachers see and know EVERYTHING so they do not even trade them.
    They are still pretty annoying.

14. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

May 27, 2010

NO- the day that silly bands presented themselves as a potential problem, I let my kids know that it was about wearing them or keeping them out of sight...not playing, trading, shooting them like rubber bands...My kids know when I mean business and they LOVE me at the same time (as I ADORE them)....

15. msmullenjr

msmullenjr Devotee

May 27, 2010

I had to look them up to see what you guys were talking about.

16. MrsHoot

MrsHoot Comrade

May 27, 2010

Our grade banned them. We had problems with them being used as rubber bands and shooting/hurting other students. We decided that they stay at home. Interestingly enough... I was talking to a friend who works in a school in the city, and she has figured out that the kids in the older grades are using them to signify different sexual behaviors.... Ahh!!! She is in a pretty rough school though.

17. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

May 27, 2010

Kids will be distracted by one thing or the other. If not Silly bands, then something else.

This too shall pass. Banning them only adds to their appeal.

Summer is around the corner. It will be to hot to wear them, and they won't see so many friends on such a constant basis.

It will die down on its own, like every other fad has.

18. monsieurteacher

monsieurteacher Aficionado

May 27, 2010

I have to say, someone got me a package of these (but they weren't called silly bandz, they were called animal shaped elastics)... then I read a multitude of posts about these silly bandz on both this site, and another site I frequent. I saw the picture with them modelled on a kid, and thought they were the stupidest looking things I'd seen in a long time...

When I saw them in the package, I thought they were so cool though... I had no idea what they were for, but elastics that go back to an animal shape after being stretched out? How cool is that???

I'm not sure what my point was... but this package that I was given on the weekend was the first I;'ve seen of them... I agree with Alice (although, if they are being used as anything other than bracelets, I would be tempted to confiscate them, just as I would with any other type of toy.)

19. fantasticfirst

fantasticfirst Rookie

May 27, 2010

I had a student punch two other students over Silly Bandz yesterday. The rest of my kids keep them on while they are in school. They know that if they trade anything in my classroom it becomes mine.

20. shouldbeasleep

shouldbeasleep Enthusiast

May 27, 2010

They aren't much of a problem at our school. Popular, yes. But they seem to leave them alone.

21. maya5250

maya5250 Comrade

Sep 11, 2010

They have become a problem at my school. The 6th grade boys used them to shoot "birdies" at each other. :|

22. Joyful!

Joyful! Habitué

Sep 11, 2010

Our kids just love to trade them. They love to talk about them. They love to show them to us. There will always be a few kids who make everything in to a drama and hassle. Soon they will be replaced by the next silly bandz. I find them harmless. (I had not heard about the colors signifying certain behaviors, though a couple years ago in our area regular rubber bands signified certain behaviors). If the worst distraction I have in my class is a piece of plastic, I'm good. :)
    Sorry to all of you who have had real difficulties, I would likely want to eliminate them as well.

23. SoReady2Teach

SoReady2Teach Comrade

Sep 11, 2010

Ugh, silly bandz. So far they haven't been a major issue for my classroom. I always give the kids a warning if they are constantly taking them off their wrists and causing a distraction for themself. I have only taken up a few and I always give them back at the end of the day.
    I don't get the big deal about silly bandz. But I bet someone said the same thing when my friends and I couldn't get enough of the slap bracelets and giga pets. Ahhh those were the days. :)

24. yarnwoman

yarnwoman Cohort

Sep 11, 2010

Not a problem at my school. My students all know if they are playing with them they are then mine. I am also ASB advisor and I am thinking of handing them out as a random acts of kindness treat.

25. stevesgirl

stevesgirl Companion

Sep 11, 2010

The first thing our new principal did was to ban Silly Bands. The kids were wearing different colors to represent different, um, things they did with each other. I teach in a K-6 school :(

26. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Sep 11, 2010

I laid down the rules about the silly bandz last year with my class. Wear them or put them away. Period. never ever had a problem with them.

this year they seem a bit passe. Wide rubber bracelets are in this year.

27. TeacherApr

TeacherApr Groupie

Sep 11, 2010

Are these the ones that are shaped like various things such as animals and military objects, etc? If so, I have had NOTHING but problems. I consider them a toy and toys are not allowed at school. I have banned them from my classroom.

28. pumpkincup

pumpkincup Rookie

Sep 11, 2010

They drive me nuts! On and off, on and off. On our third day of school I told them that they need to keep them at home.

29. UVAgrl928

UVAgrl928 Habitué

Sep 11, 2010

I didn't have problems with them last year, but this year I have seen more of them. I take them when they are a problem.

30. DHE

DHE Connoisseur

Sep 11, 2010

I take them away when they are a problem and me and several other employees have talked to the principal about having them banned. We are having a school-wide assembly Monday and I think this is one of the things that will be discussed.

31. Muttling

Muttling Devotee

Sep 11, 2010

Most kids have them in my school. It's never been an issue in my rooms and this is the first complaint I've heard of them.

32. Jmbmartinez12

Jmbmartinez12 Rookie

Sep 11, 2010

Our principal banned them after the first week of school They were a distraction and we already had parents call about them being taken, stolen, etc.. We consider them toys and we ban toys at our school

33. skittleroo

skittleroo Connoisseur

Sep 11, 2010

I just hate light up shoes.......but not sure we should be able to ban them. If they are a distraction for the child/ there a consequence.

34. skittleroo

skittleroo Connoisseur

Sep 11, 2010

yeah I did hear that. I don't know. I haven't seen them be too much of a problem. Of course I teach kinder:angel:

35. cruiserteacher

cruiserteacher Comrade

Sep 11, 2010

They drive me nuts! I have already taken them away from one student (twice!) He took them off my desk. So, he got them taken away for good now. The school has decided that instead of banning them, students cannot link them together as necklaces and they may only be worn on their wrists. They also are not allowed to trade them at school, which I always told the kids they could trade them at recess, but now they're not allowed. This is the school's final attempt before banning them altogether. If they are taken away, they office keeps them.

36. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Sep 11, 2010

We don't have a problem. I think they are kinda fun, actually. They have to be the cheapest reward I've seen in a while. Our kids just wear them, they don't play with them.

Although, my daughter came home the other day with a new one and told me she owed the boy who gave it to her a dollar for it. I told her to give it back.

37. MelissainGA

MelissainGA Groupie

Sep 11, 2010

If they get caught with them they are to take them off and put them in their back pack (school rule). If they get caught with them a second time after that they are taken and kept until their parent comes in to get them (also a school rule). So far I have had to take them from one student.

38. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Sep 12, 2010

This wasn't such a big deal last year. This year I've seen them on more kiddos, but they tend to keep them on. If I see they have them off their wrist, they have one warning to put them back on then the next time I see it, they're mine. The kid then has to come back and get them at the end of the day. Last year and at the beginning of this year, it was those breast cancer bracelets that said "I :love: boobies" on them that all the students were trying to wear. Our P did ban these.

39. myKroom

myKroom Habitué

Sep 12, 2010

I had a boy on Friday that wore so many of those stupid things that he had indentations on his wrist and started complaining that his wrist hurt!! I told him a better choice would be to wear only 5 of them and put the rest away.

My rule for any jewelry is if they play with it, it becomes mine for the rest of the day! If I take Silly Bandz I will wear them because otherwise they get lost or stolen by the end of the day, and it helps me remember to give them back! They learned quick when I started taking them and wearing them on my wrist that I was serious!