Do you use salon or drugstore shampoo/cond. brands?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by TennisPlayer, May 17, 2009.

?

Salon vs. Drugstore Shampoo/Conditioners

1. I only use shampoo/conditioners that salons would sell and notice a difference

2 vote(s)
    8.3%
  2. I pretty much only use the drugstore kinds, whatever is on sale

9 vote(s)
    37.5%
  3. I use both expensive and non-expensive and just alternate days

8 vote(s)
    33.3%
  4. I don't think expensive shampoo/conditioner matters and I'd rather save the money!

5 vote(s)
    20.8%
  1. TennisPlayer

TennisPlayer Cohort

May 17, 2009

I've used both but lately I'm using either Bath and Body Works' shampoo orange ginger because I like the smell or other less than $5/bottle kinds like Pantene.

Do you see a difference with expensive brands? I have used Biosilk in the past but it's too expensive to me to have all the time.

3. buck8teacher

buck8teacher Devotee

May 17, 2009

I like the shampoos from Sally's. They are salon quality pretty much just cheaper. My best friend is a hair dresser and so I get any product I want though pretty inexpensive though, b/c she gets it at the supply store.

4. emmakate218

emmakate218 Connoisseur

May 17, 2009

I totally notice a difference with Biolage. I love that stuff, but it's expensive. I use a particular type of Pantene that I discovered works super well for my hair.

5. sue35

sue35 Habitué

May 17, 2009

I use one of the worst, cheapest shampoos. Prell. I love it! I used to use some fancy salon type but I noticed no difference. I used Prell growing up and went back to it. I get more compliments on my hair now than when I used the fancy stuff:)

6. cityfrog6

cityfrog6 Comrade

May 17, 2009

Redken All Soft Shampoo and Conditioner is my favorite. My hair never has felt so soft since I have been using it. Maybe it's also that I learned how to properly round brush my hair so it is smooth.

7. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

May 17, 2009

I switched to biolage (sp?) which is a salon brand, but I get it at the drugstore. It's like $15 a bottle.

I have VERY oily hair and it's for oily hair. I was hoping that by using this stuff, I would be able to wash every other day instead of every day, but have found my hair is just as oily as before. When this runs out, I will go back to regular drugstore brands... (except that I have two sets of the stuff, one at my place and one at my SO's place, so I will be using it for months and months, since I alternate when I am home and there.)

8. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

May 17, 2009

I use bath and body aromatherapy. It's about $10 a bottle and I love it! (usually get it on sale or with coupons though) I don't consider it a salon brand though...

9. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

May 17, 2009

I usually buy the $6-7 per bottle stuff at Target or wherever. The brands I get most often are Dove, Herbal Essences, and Pantene.

I don't really notice any difference at all in shampoos of any price, from Suave or V05 to Biolage or some other salon brand. Where I do notice the difference, however, is in the conditioner. The super cheap stuff always leaves my hair feeling gross and extremely tangly. The mid-priced stuff that I get (Dove, HE, Pantene, etc.) leaves my hair feeling soft and very easy to comb through, which is why I get it.

Smells are also very important to me because I have a very, very strong sense of smell. If the shampoo smells bad or too strong, I won't get it no matter how fancy it is or how it makes my hair feel. Anything that's labeled "milk and honey" just about makes me vomit because it smells awful to me. I once bought a fancy salon brand with that scent and I was so pissed once I started using it and got a whiff. My favorite scent is anything minty, like melaleuca/tea tree oil.

10. txmomteacher2

txmomteacher2 Enthusiast

May 17, 2009

Right now i am using Tresseme. I too have very oily hair, I have to wash everyday. I used to use Suave but it started to make hair feel really gross. I switch around alot.

11. Kat53

Kat53 Devotee

May 17, 2009

I have really curly, thick hair. I use a ton of conditioner and can only brush it when it is wet and coated with conditioner. If I used an expensive brand I would be spending a fortune, since I literally use 2 full handfulls of conditioner with each wash.I use Garnier Nutrisse or Pantene Pro V.

12. nklauste

nklauste Comrade

May 17, 2009

I use TIGI Catwalk Curls Rock shampoo and conditioner. If I don't use stuff meant for curly hair, then I end up with a mess of hair that I can't do anything with.

13. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

May 17, 2009

I have used Dove since it first came out and very rarely veer from it. I have psoriasis, so I will use Head and Shoulders shampoo 2-3 times a week to help a bit. I refuse to use my prescription for it because it makes my hair nasty.
    I have used Redken on and off, but I still like Dove better.
    I used Pantene prior to Dove coming out, but have been told it is awful for your hair. My cousin does my hair and never said anything, but I went with a friend a few years ago while she got her hair done and her stylist said if you microwave it, it will pretty much turn into a candle. I never tried it, but am curious.

14. Dzenna

Dzenna Groupie

May 17, 2009

For a while I was using Suave, and anything from the 99 Cent Store.
    My hair looked great and felt great, but I color my hair and it was fading too fast. The color was light and my grey spot in the front coming through. I went back to expensive salon shampoo.

15. Kat53

Kat53 Devotee

May 17, 2009

Pantene is very waxy. I have been told by stylists that it is good for my hair(thick,curly) but it would probably not be good for fine hair since it would weigh it down.

16. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

May 17, 2009

I use both types of brands. Currently, I have several brands of shampoos/conditioners in my bathroom, so I alternate.

17. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

May 18, 2009

I'm addicted to their curl cream, and I've been thinking about trying their shampoo and conditioner. It's worth it?

18. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

May 18, 2009

Sounds like my hair. I like L'Oreal Nutri Gloss (or something - it's pink). It works really well! :)

19. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

May 18, 2009

I have super thick hair and have tried all kinds of shampoos & conditioners. But, I always return to Finesse.

ANyone remember this shampoo...Gee, Your Hair Smells Terrific.

I heard it's sold in the Phillipines.

20. jillybean

jillybean Comrade

May 18, 2009

I just read a artice on this and it said you should spend more money on shampoo than the conditioners. Has anyone heard on this?

21. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

May 18, 2009

A stylist once told me to always use shampoo for color treated hair - even if you don't color it - because regular shampoos are like detergent. I've bounced back and forth between Frutis, Suave, and Biolage for oily hair (OMG the OIL)... and the only thing that's working for me is Head and Shoulders 2-in-1. I only have to wash my hair 3 times a week!

22. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

May 18, 2009

Anyone remember Salon Selectives that came in dark pink bottles? It smelled like crisp apples!

23. MissWull

MissWull Cohort

May 18, 2009

I buy my shamp/cond at Target...I get:

Pantene
    Herbel Essence

I get those two most often, I love Pantene...but sometimes it just seems too expensive at the moment, haha. I just bought Treseme, but don't think I will again...it's just not working for me.

24. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

May 18, 2009

The conditioner is more important for my hair than the shampoo. I usually get a cheaper shampoo like Suave. I have 2 different Aussie conditioners right now and they are working well. I use the 3 Minute Miracle and Aussie Moist on alternating days.

25. Ranchwife

Ranchwife Companion

May 18, 2009

When I had colored hair, I used Biolage and Biogenol. Once, I tried switching to a nonsalon shampoo/conditioner and my hair became dry, lost its shine, had no life. As soon as I switched back to the "good" stuff, my hair was fine again. Now that I have short hair with no colorants in it, I use Jonh Frieda Brilliant Blond shampoo and conditioner (not a salon brand) and love it.

26. mrsleapfrog

mrsleapfrog Companion

May 18, 2009

I use Redken for curly hair in the green bottle.

27. nklauste

nklauste Comrade

May 18, 2009

Even though it is expensive, I LOVE it! I am basically making do with less of other things to be able to afford my shampoo and conditioner. I love the smell and with the shampoo, conditioner, and cream (I believe it is called curl booster, it is lotion-like) I find it has the perfect amount of curl and hold. I get comments from girls daily that they love my spiral curls and want to know if it is natural. (it 100% is)

28. Kat53

Kat53 Devotee

May 18, 2009

I use the Curls Rock Creme. I like it but I think I overdo it sometimes because it makes my hair sticky. I only use one pump.