Do you use personal book boxes? I have a question for you.

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Becky123abc, Aug 29, 2008.

1. Becky123abc

Becky123abc Rookie

Aug 29, 2008

I've read about using the personal book boxes in my classroom library. I have them set up. School starts Tuesday.

I was thinking about putting 5 books in each box to start with.

How do you go about allowing students to pick new books for their boxes? how often do they change them? I don't want the kids to waste their reading time picking out books...

Thanks so much for any input

3. Goldie

Goldie Companion

Aug 29, 2008

Books for book boxes (I used ziploc bags) come from their guided reading groups along with maybe several others at their reading level. We add to and take out books on a Friday as I didn't do formal groups on that day. It seemed to work for me. I was teaching first grade. They kept their book bags in cubbies as we didn't have desks.

4. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Aug 29, 2008

My kids have them. We call them Browsing Boxes. At first they are only allowed to have 5 books in them. One from the school Library, 1 Guided Reading book, and 3 from our classroom Library. They also keep their Reader's Notebook in them, so we try to keep the number of books down that they have at a time.

5. Becky123abc

Becky123abc Rookie

Aug 29, 2008

Thanks to Goldie and Miss W!

6. Youngteacher226

Youngteacher226 Enthusiast

Aug 30, 2008

I use personal book baskets (boxes) as well. It makes the most sense to me to have them in the classroom. The way I do it is have the "book shop" for books on their book shop days. So, if Johnny's book shop day is Mondays, then every Monday, Johnny knows to come in and book shop for new books for the week. Because my kids only book shop once a week, they are to get enough for the week so about 10 or more.
    Now, as far as what books they are to choose...I teach them to choose "just right" books meaning books that are just right for them (on their independent levels). All the baskets in my classroom library are labeled with levels so Johnny will know that he should choose books of his choice from the level J baskets. As far as "look books" or books of interest, they do not put those books in their book baskets becasue reading workshop is about the kids reading books on their "just right" levels, not books of interest. So I designate BEAR time or DEAR time in my classroom everyday for kids to read those kinds of books (books about bugs, biographies, poetry books).
    Along with their "just right" books, they carry their reading response notebooks in their, a pencil, post-its to stop & jot while reading and their writing folders. The reason they keep their writing folders in their as well is because writing workshop is usually right after reading workshop so it's just easier for transition purposes for them to have all their materials with them during this time.

7. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Aug 30, 2008

I am going to start the year off with a few books for each child. The librarian helped me think about what each child would like. The Daily 5 recommends putting a variety of books at a variety of levels so you can observe and see what the kids were reading.

I do home visits, so I know Emma will want books about cats 8, and Alex reads Magic Tree House, Cameron will want books on How Things Work, and Tami reads Baby Mouse.

I would CALL each child this weekend. Even if you just leave a message, you can say,

"This is Miss __ your new _ grade teacher. I am looking forward to the school year and just wanted to say hello. If you ever need to reach me, please do X."

If you DO reach them, you can spend about 5 minutes talking to the child and find out what kinds of books they like.

The kids and the parents will appreciate the extra effort!!!

After the first week, I will teach them how to book shop.

8. Beezus

Beezus Cohort

Aug 31, 2008

I need to teach mine how to book shop this week, too. If you don't mind (new teacher here)....exactly what do you cover when you do this? I know I need to go over Just Right Books (and I have bookmarks to give them when I do this)...is there anything else I need to go over with them??

Thanks for the help!!!