Do you use journals in your K classroom?

Discussion in 'Kindergarten' started by cml88, Sep 8, 2012.

1. cml88

cml88 Companion

Sep 8, 2012

Do you use journals in kindergarten and if so how and what for?

I was thinking of having my kids use one of their notebooks as a journal where they responded to the "Question of Day" daily. For example, on the first day of school our question of the day is "How do you feel today?" Under the question I have written down '"Today I feel _____________". So my idea is to have the students copy the statement "Today I feel ...." in their journals and then draw/write their response. I wanted others opinion on this and also wanted to hear how you use journals in your classroom?

3. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Sep 8, 2012

Yes and I think that's a great way to start. I love journaling with the kiddos because it can really be a great way to track their progress in writing throughout the year. You will probably have to write what they dictate in the beginning, but then they start sounding out words and writing themselves-it's great to see that progress.

I will say that sometimes I like to just let them write about any topic they want to as well instead of giving them the prompt.

4. flowerpower31

flowerpower31 Comrade

Sep 8, 2012

I use them with my class. It's our "Morning Bell Work". Each morning, at least for now, they have to draw a picture of something (what they did over summer, favorite food, etc.). As the year progresses, I'm gonna require them to begin writing words and sentences to go with the pictures.

5. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Sep 8, 2012

We use them as well. In the beginning, the students are mostly drawing pictures and dictating a sentence or two.

I am going to save my journals so that the parents and students can see growth.

6. bondo

bondo Cohort

Sep 24, 2012

They use them for copying what is written on the board in the morning. The get more freedom as the year progresses. As others have mentioned, its a great way to track progress. Also, you can see exactly what each student is doing well and struggling with.

7. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Sep 24, 2012

I use them...we did a math activity in them last week..but mostly the write responses to their story at carpet time.