Do you use any sites to help write your teacher comments?

Discussion in 'New Teachers' started by BioAngel, Jan 18, 2009.

1. BioAngel

BioAngel Science Teacher - Grades 3-6

Jan 18, 2009

I tend to need to say alot of words in order to a get a simple main point made. So I decided this quarter, when I'm suppose to write shorter comments, that I'd get some help online with writing my comments.

I used this site: http://www.kellybear.com/TeacherArticles/TeacherTip67.html

I'm wondering if any other new teachers have used some good sites to help write their comments.

Also, do you do alot of copying and pasting or are you brave and dedicated enough to do individual comments for all of your students? I have 3 main comments--- great, good, and needs improvement with male and female versions and I just change small details around for each.

:)

3. trayums

trayums Enthusiast

Jan 18, 2009

I don't have any sites that I use to write my comments, but I do reference the ones that I have used from previous years. I don't think I ever recycle though because I always feel I can write them better and don't want to use the older ones I guess. I rarely copy/paste because I am always afraid parents are talking to each other about their comments etc. and I'm sure I'm not far from wrong hee hee. Anyway as we all know it is very time consuming, but I like giving parents a good picture of their kiddo anyway... :)

4. teachin4ever

teachin4ever Cohort

Jan 18, 2009

We don't get to write our own comments on our report cards. The comments are already on there for us and they correlate with a number. We just write the number on the comment section.

I'm not sure I like that though. I'd almost rather write my own because you can't really offer an explanation with your comment.

5. BioAngel

BioAngel Science Teacher - Grades 3-6

Jan 19, 2009

I have two sets of twins and they're the only ones I really change--- I don't think it's a big deal with you use a template, as long as you're including everything that you need to include. I know for a fact my parents are talking to one another, but I haven't heard any complaints yet.

This is my first year writing comments, but I refused to look at the first semester comments to see what I wrote. I started out with basic templates and then I'll change them around as needed. Some of my students have done alot better this semester and I make sure my happiness of this is shown.

6. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jan 31, 2009

I have a book that I used for about the first 5 years of teaching- it's a small purple book, a lot of teachers have it, really good comments for so many kinds of kids/situations....now I kind of just get in the 'comment-writing' mode..

7. teacherforlife

teacherforlife Rookie

Feb 8, 2009

yes

When I was a new teacher I used a reference book for comments. I was a bit anxious about how to phrase some comments and I found it very helpful. Now I have been writing comments for so many years I pretty much have my ideas ingrained in me.