Do you use an Ipad in the classroom?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by heavens54, Jul 21, 2013.

1. heavens54

heavens54 Connoisseur

Jul 21, 2013

If yes, mini or regular Ipad. What do you use it for and how do you use it? I'm considering buying one now so I get to know it before school starts, but since we don't get a paycheck for August (ugh) I'm only willing to do it if I can justify by using it in the classroom a lot. Comments?

3. EiffelTower

EiffelTower Comrade

Jul 21, 2013

I ended the year with using the ShowMe app a lot on my iPad. We created math tutorials and recorded book discussions to post on Edmodo for their classmates to hear.

4. beccmo

beccmo Comrade

Jul 22, 2013

I used it as a separate computer to take attendance. I also used the Educreations app to create tutorials that I could post to Edmodo. There were some sound apps I used for my physics class. I used the Science 360 app to find video clips. When my classes were working on assignments I sometimes played music.

5. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jul 22, 2013

I use a regular iPad at school, but I bought it primarily for personal use. I don't know I'd buy one if I was thinking only school.

6. First School

First School Rookie

Jul 22, 2013

I think the idea of having iPad in a classroom can be a great classroom tool. iPad is a tool that can provide unique pedagogical practices in our student-centered classroom and will help teachers create a classroom environment that fosters innovation and creativity.

7. heavens54

heavens54 Connoisseur

Jul 22, 2013

Yes, but how to implement?

It would be for personal also. I am just not sure how to have it help me enrich the learning experience in my classroom. I know that it has the ability, but looking for apps, websites, strategies as to how to incorporate it with my lessons. Thanks.

8. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Jul 22, 2013

I bought one for myself with the intent of using it mostly in the classroom. Honestly, the awesome apps I wanted to use were almost all too inconvenient to use regularly. For example, Class Dojo. I never got proficient enough to find the kid's icon and mark the demerit or reward without halting instruction.

the one app I use all the time is ClassCards by Rick Morris. I use it to randomly select students to call on. I say, "James is up next, then Amy, Dawn, and Dean." This way they know they will be called on and really listen, but aren't shocked by getting cold called. Believe it or not, I was not calling on kids equally without the app.

All in all, I love having iPads for the students, but don't think I'd buy my own if I didn't want it for personal use.

9. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Jul 22, 2013

I have an iPad, but I've held back on using it in school (I'm trying hard to keep some of my personal items... well, personal.)

But I did download My Library, so I'll have my classroom library on there. I did use Evernote for a student last year on his iPad, and I think it's really helpful to have a recorded lecture for students who are absent a lot.

Aside from those two things... there isn't a whole lot the iPad can offer that I can't use my school tablet for instead.

10. heavens54

heavens54 Connoisseur

Jul 22, 2013

I don't have access to a tablet, only a desktop. We also do not have wireless at our small school. So getting an Ipad with 3G would help me show some presentations. And ppts. I think I'll be getting one soon.