Do you use a marble jar for good behavior?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by dave33498, Jun 11, 2004.

1. dave33498

dave33498 Guest

Jun 11, 2004

Do you use a marble jar for good behavior? Is it really effective?

Thanks,

Dave

3. mommaruthie

mommaruthie Aficionado

Jun 11, 2004

compliment jar

i have not used this myself but have heard it works.

4. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Jun 11, 2004

I have a marble jar for our "word of the year". Usually it's ain't. At times it's been can't or brung. For the positive behavior we have BUGS (Being Unusually Good). I saw it here on a strand . At Dollar Tree I found these cool bug rings. I put 50 in a gold fish bowl and made a tower. (Round base and dowel purchased at art store painted green and purple.) For every extra special good thing I see, or compliments from others they "catch" a bug and put it on the tower. When we catch them all, they get free time. It works well.

Christy

Last edited: Jun 26, 2004
  5. hescollin

hescollin Fanatic

Jun 11, 2004

Marble/Ticket Combination

Combination marble and tickets work great. A marble jar for over all class behavior. If they are good for a sub teacher, --no bad reports. They earn ten marbles or so. If noisy in the hall lose marbles. Tickets for idividual behavior Teacher gives each student five tickets during Monday morning opening. = If caught being good, sitting and ready to do an assignment without being told earn a ticket. 100% on spelling or other special assignment. Lose a marble for speaking without being called on, not working on assignment, talking to neighbor and etc. Marbles earn parties. After reading a read aloud book, party is a video same story. Reading afternoon, bring blankets and pillows and lay on the floor and catch up on AR reading. (include mystery readers who drop in and read a short book, Principle, secretary, janitor, parent, fire chief, city librarian, school librarian and etc) Serve popcorn and students bring bottle water or juice --no pop at parties. At our soup party --our read aloud book was "Stone Soup" we made soup in an electric roaster, students brought food to go along with "Stone Soup" Tickets earn free computer time on Friday, play electric "Battleship" good strategy game, students love it, listen to a short story recorded and use Walk-mn get for $5 at Wal-mart. Petunia in Kansas

Last edited: Jun 27, 2004
  6. jenniatek

jenniatek Companion

Jun 26, 2004

Oh Christy I love the bug idea! Too cool!
    So do you put the bug rings back in the jar and start over once they're all on the dowel?

7. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Jun 26, 2004

Hi, Jennifer! Once all the bugs have been "captured" we turn them loose in the jar and start over. It's so easy and fun to do.

Christy

8. Sheree

Sheree Companion

Jun 27, 2004

I use a marble jar with my first graders. Like some of the other replies, I only use the jar for classroom behavior. Like, if the whole-class behaved well during an assembly or special event. Or if the class had a great time during one of their daily specials. Or if I need the class to bring back a letter or report signed in a timely matter, I will offer the class a chance to earn a handful of marbles if the letter is returned signed and brought back the next day. That really works! The kids get really excited! Now, in the beginning of the year, my students can choose their rewards for filling the jar. Most of the time it is a pizza or movie and popcorn party. A marble jar is a great way to reward the entire class but I think you still need to have way to monitor and reward individual behavior. Sheree

9. ellen_a

ellen_a Groupie

Jun 27, 2004

Christy I love the bug idea! I'll have to keep it in mind!

Ellen A.

10. sandimreyes

sandimreyes Comrade

Jun 27, 2004

I've also heard of dividing the class into groups and using a marble jar for each group. First group to clean up gets marbles, quietest group during read aloud gets marbles, etc. First group to fill their own marble jar wins something, then jars are emptied and started again.

For whole class behavior, I use party points.
    10 party points = popcicle party; 20 = ice cream party; 30 = pizza party. Each time a party is won, all party points are erased and they must start from 0. The only way to earn a party point is to receive a compliment from a staff member. A compliment from the principal or asst. principal is worth 2 party points.

For times when I feel that they've been super well-behaved, I will surprise them with some kind of treat from the treat cabinet ( I have the largest treat cabinet in my school, so there is ALWAYS different stuff in there I can use ). They never know when these are coming, so they always have to try to be good AND if most of the class was wonderful, but somebody was just really misbehaving, I will exclude that child from the treat. I try NOT to do that and to wait for times when I can reward the entire class, but that's not always possible and sometimes, I truly want to make a point to a particular child that they are not being a good member of the team.

Rewards for good behavior has been a huge debate for years and people feel very strongly one way or another. I say...do what works for you...I happen to believe in it, if it is done correctly. I use a lot of different behavior systems that involve rewards.

11. annteach2

annteach2 Rookie

Jun 27, 2004

Marble jar

I too love the bug idea.
    I used to use the marble jar reward system but I found I wasnt consistent. Now I give each individual child a paper gumball machine with 12 gumballs in it (the amt in it can be changed) . Every time a student does something well I tell them to color in a gumball. (Can also be used for a whole group reward once in a while). When their gumballlll machine is full they can chose a reward (prize box, free icecream or chips, or lunch in room with a friend and the teacher). I dat eeach gumball machine and I tell kids that if theyever color in a gumball w/o permission they have to start all over again! I haven't had a problem yet (that I know of anyway).

12. crystal

crystal Rookie

Jul 4, 2004

I have used a paper clip chain. I bought a large container of the plastic colored paper clips. When the whole class behaved or a student did a good deed for the class, we earned some paper clips for the chain. The chain began at the top of the white board on a bulletin board strip and when it reached the floor, we had a celebration. Usually, it was a popcorn party or a special treat of some kind. I like using the paper clips because we formed a pattern with the colors, so the kids were really excited to tell me which colors to add to the chain.

13. jhuffman

jhuffman Rookie

Jul 23, 2004

Yes, I do in my 4th grade classroom. If my students receive a compliment, I put in several. One thing I really love is putting up 3 fingers as we walk to Specials or lunch in the hallway. If I hear talking or if they are misbehaving, I take a finger away. They usually get 3 marbles! They love this and usually do it with me. For coming in from recess I do it, etc. When the jar is full we vote on extra recess time, a special movie, a pizza party, etc. It has really worked in my classroom. Some other teachers "say" they use marbles, but simply put points on the board, which works just the same. I happen to like the fact that the students can hear the clank of the marbles being dropped in, especially when it is silent during independent work time - THEY LOVE IT! Let me know how it goes! :)

14. Teener

Teener Companion

Jul 23, 2004

We use marbles, bugs, or whatever "collectable" item you wish. They are called Power Points. The students can earn them for various things, such as: 100% of homework turned in that day, 100% attendance, earning a Bule Cougar Paw (school wide behavior system used for special area classes, ie music, art, pe. The students can earn a blue cougar for good behavior in the special class or a white one for poor behavior), getting a compliment on their behavior from another staff member or other adult, showing compassion for other students, 100% of library books returned on time, etc. There are countless things you could put on that list. Just choose the ones most important to you and your class. Then assign point values to each thing -- compliment = 3 points, etc.
    After earning a set number of points they earn a Power Hour (movie and popcorn, pizza, etc -- let them choose the reward, just make sure their choices are things you can live with!!) I set my point system up so that to get the 1st power hour they had to earn 25 points, 2nd = 50 points, and 3rd+ = 100 points.

We also kept a tally chart to count the marbles as they were added (so we don't have to recount them each time we add more). This was a great way to incorporate counting by 5's.

I hope this helps.

15. latybug

latybug Rookie

Jul 27, 2004

Marbles

I have used a class marble jar for about 14 years now. My fourth graders think it is funny when..." I have lost my marbles." They get the pun. They get rewarded with a popcicle or popcorn party. I also do "I can behave myself." cans. Each group gets a can and when caught doing good things their group gets sticks. The group with the most sticks at the end of the day gets candy, a sticker or line up first all day the next day. Days that haven't gone well usually means that I haven't past out any sticks or given any marbles. You wouldn't believe how quiet the students get when you get the marble jar out and start taking their marbles. It works better than telling then over and over to be quiet or turning out the lights. Its kinda funny watching then try to get each other quiet.