Do you use a hook in class?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by adeeb, Apr 25, 2015.

1. adeeb

adeeb Rookie

Apr 25, 2015

I stumbled across this article, which summarizes a section of Doug Lemov's book, Teach Like A Champion. I haven't read the book, but I found the article very interesting. It basically states that great teachers use the Hook technique to engage their students at the beginning of the lesson in order to retain their attention.

Do you use a hook in class? If so, what type of hook do you use?

3. otterpop

otterpop Phenom

Apr 25, 2015

I sometimes use videos to start a lesson.

4. Tyler B.

Tyler B. Groupie

Apr 25, 2015

My goals at the very start of a lesson is to help students build connections to past lessons and their lives. I also foster curiosity, and I tell them what I want them to learn.

5. HistoryVA

HistoryVA Devotee

Apr 25, 2015

I always start with a post-quiz "Warm Up Question" that attempts to draw a connection between the lesson and the students' lives. For instance, if we're going to discuss the industrial revolution, I'll ask what invention they believe has changed America the most in the last 50 years.

6. readingrules12

readingrules12 Aficionado

Apr 25, 2015

I think hooks are one of the most beneficial ways to get your students' attention. I often use a hook, but not always. I can tell the difference in my lessons. I have my students' attention much better when I have a good hook then when I don't have one.

I often use a prop, a quick story, or some other attention getting device that fits with the standard that I am teaching. When I find one that works well, I tend to use it the next year as well.

7. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Apr 25, 2015

It depends on the topic. Sometimes I show a video or something to get their attention. One day this week, I played the Muppet version of "Jabberwocky" to get them thinking about context clues. I will always go over a list of things they should be able to do by the end of the lesson using "I Can" phrases.

I'm probably really different than a lot of teachers in that I encourage interaction and silly talk instead of a warm-up activity in between classes. It increases class rapport as well as their rapport with me, since I'm usually thick in the conversation as well. It takes strong transition skills, but they usually follow me from free chat into the start of the lesson.

8. blazer

blazer Connoisseur

Apr 25, 2015

I started a lesson on the environment with a year 10 (9th grade) by playing a video of the Osmonds' Crazy Horses. The next 20 minutes was spent discussing the 1970s and the fact that their grandmothers were probably Donny fans! None of them picked up on the idea that 'Crazy Horses' referred to cars polluting the atmosphere!

I have also used Blondie and 'Atomic' as a hook for atoms. Again modern kids can't seem to look beyond the superficial!

9. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Apr 25, 2015

Sometimes I use one to tie them upside down from when they need to calm down.

Kidding.

I definitely use hooks/anticipatory sets/provocations/engagements/etc. (they have so many names)

It usually just happens naturally, I'll start with a story, or ask them to imagine something, or show them a really cool demo. Always gets them hooked and often thinking. The rush from that is immediately dampened though when they need to do work. Still worth it though.

10. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Apr 25, 2015

My district calls it the Link. I always try to do something, but obviously sometimes it's easier than others.

11. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Apr 25, 2015

Although one thing I always find useful, if all else fails, is to link to something in the future. "In sixth grade, you are going to learn how to [do something]. We might not be quite ready for that yet, but to do that, you'll need to know..."

I think my kids like knowing what they'll learn in the future more than knowing what they need to know now!

12. adeeb

adeeb Rookie

Apr 25, 2015

Wow, thank you all for the responses; this is very interesting! For those that said they only use a hook sometimes, I'm curious: Why is that? Is there a reason you don't use a hook every class?

What types of videos do you use?

I really like this technique!

Does this mean that the hook didn't work as you expected? How did the videos impact the lesson?

Yes! This always worked on me when I was a student!