Do you use a good Common Core math textbook?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by newteech, Oct 13, 2014.

1. newteech

newteech Rookie

Oct 13, 2014

My district is in a math adoption year. We are looking to purchase some new math textbooks/workbooks that are based around the Common Core.

Hopefully these books will make kids explain/tell how they solved a problem. Just like they will face on the Smarter Balanced.

Thanks for any suggestions.

3. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Oct 13, 2014

I've been in 5 schools in the last 18 months. The best I've used is a workbook called On Core. It didn't really make them explain a whole lot. I used Engage NY in K and I think it has more of what you are looking for when it gets to upper grades. Google it. It was free.

4. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Oct 13, 2014

We are using Origo. It is ok, but we were without a text for three years, so I already had a ton of resources. Engage NY is really good, but I've found I have to modify a lot of it. I can't manage to do everything they say to do in the timeframe they give.

5. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Oct 13, 2014

We use EnVision. It's aligned to common core, but I can't tell you how well... I CAN say that teaching 4th grade math to the Virginia standards, I find myself using the fifth grade resources more than 4th grade, though.

6. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Oct 13, 2014

My district recently adopted EnVisions. Most teachers seem to really like it.

7. heatherberm

heatherberm Cohort

Oct 13, 2014

I used Engage NY in my student teaching and some in subbing and while it does definitely have to be modified - it's insane what it expects you to go through in a day - there are a lot of really good examples and activities with it. And like giraffe said, it's free.

8. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Oct 14, 2014

We use Math in Focus and I am not a fan. I pull ideas, but never have the kids use the books.

9. otterpop

otterpop Phenom

Oct 14, 2014

We use Everyday Math. I don't like it as much as I had hoped I would, mostly because if difficulties aligning it with CCSS.

10. mathmagic

mathmagic Enthusiast

Oct 14, 2014

Yeah, it is an easy-to-follow rhythm and hits most of the standards (and they added additional online-only resources to cover the ones they realized they hadn't hit to supplement the already released curriculum). A team in our district went through and dove even deeper and created an entire alignment/pacing guide, as well as leveled assessments that better allow us to see where students are vs. many of the Envision topic assessments that are often multiple choice or don't require application of the understanding in new situations.

11. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Oct 14, 2014

We are using Go Math as a RESOURCE. not loving it...

12. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Oct 14, 2014

I teach at a private school and we do not worry about common core, however, I heard that the math program that we use (Singapore Math) aligns quite well with Common Core. I haven't done the research, though. But I really love teaching math using our program.

Edit: did a quick google search and found that they offer a Common Core version of the program.

13. wanttoteachmath

wanttoteachmath Rookie

Feb 13, 2015

Great question. I'm currently researching math texts for a 1st - 8th grade adoption. Anyone have any new experience now that we are more than half way through the school year?

14. newteech

newteech Rookie

Feb 14, 2015

Based on the recommendations in this thread, I asked the publisher for a sample of EnVision.

It is great and I'm using it often.

15. FourSquare

FourSquare Fanatic

Feb 14, 2015

Our 3rd-5th uses Envision. They have not complained.

16. readingrules12

readingrules12 Aficionado

Feb 15, 2015

We use EnVision. It is okay. We were hoping there are better textbooks out there as we were thinking of improving our math series at our school.

17. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Feb 15, 2015

I'm going to assume that, if you're looking into purchasing a new series, you probably aren't using the newest edition of the EnVisions program. Is this correct? I don't know what the older editions are like. Perhaps your school is using the newest edition but is dissatisfied with it. In order to clarify my previous recommendation for EnVisions, I'd like to note that my recommendation was based on the newest 2015 CCSS edition.

18. Miss84

Miss84 Comrade

Feb 15, 2015

We use GO Math...but just the textbooks and not the whole kit (centers, online resources). Not a fan.

19. readingrules12

readingrules12 Aficionado

Feb 16, 2015

You are correct. Our EnVision series was purchased in 2010.

20. suzy7677

suzy7677 Rookie

Feb 22, 2015

I have heard that neighboring districts have adopted Singapore math as the new edition is heavily aligned to the Core.

21. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

Feb 22, 2015

I no longer teach elementary but I did last year and it was my school's first year using Go Math. We were not big fans. Way too much to cover for each section in the time frame we had (an hour each day). The tests are 100% word problems but the homework workbook pages only have 2 word problems. That was just one thing I didn't like about it, but it really stood out to me as a big negative. I just didn't get why they would make it so the homework didn't align with the tests well at all.

22. MissJill

MissJill Cohort

Feb 22, 2015

Not liking go math either.

23. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Feb 22, 2015

Hating Go Math....if its any indication of the PARCC exam it's going to be bad.:(

24. anna9868

anna9868 Habitué

Feb 24, 2015

In one district I often sub they also use Math in Focus. I guess the teachers are required to use all books, textbook, workbook and have to explain it exactly like in the book . Everywhere I go teachers are complaining about it. Even I can see how it often doesn't make sense, from my occasional math lessons that I have to give.

It's now 2nd year that the district is using, and from going from one classroom to another, I constantly meet teachers and aides who are still not clear how to explain many concepts in that Math in Focus way of teaching. Sounds pretty crazy, I only sub in elementaries, you would think at this level adults should be pretty good at explaining things to the kids instead of constantly wondering: "what do they want us to do in this problem?" , "I can't get used to doing the addition this way!"

And that's the home district I pulled my son out of 3 years ago! again and again, I have a proof that it was a good decision.

25. karebear76

karebear76 Habitué

Feb 24, 2015

My district went with EngageNY on the advice of the math coach (a former elementary teacher who will return to classroom after the grant runs out). Some grade levels piloted Go Math and really enjoyed it, but there was resistance. I find EngageNY to be cumbersome and difficult to navigate, but I haven't used it much. It is way too difficult for my SWD.

26. MissMae

MissMae Rookie

Mar 7, 2015

We use Engage NY in my District. I really like how everything is laid out. The lessons are very detailed, but we are not expected to follow everything it says to do. My only complaint is the language of some of the worksheets/tests, and that sometimes lessons are not aligned to the follow-up work, so modifications need to be made. Also, it doesn't cover EVERYTHING. I have heard the Kinder teachers complain about what is expected of students so young, but isn't that the whole point of CCSS? Some teachers think its too complicated and too much inquiry for students who need more direct instruction.