Do you use a basal?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by MelissainGA, Aug 4, 2010.

1. MelissainGA

MelissainGA Groupie

Aug 4, 2010

Our admin. took up the basal readers at our school. Everyone is upset because even though we didn't read every story there is some quality literature that we had numerous activities to be able to teach our skills from. That isn't allowed now. We have to use a totally different set of materials (which we have to use our allotted copies to copy by the way).

Should we be upset?

3. smurfette

smurfette Habitué

Aug 4, 2010

Nope, haven't been forced to at this school. I generally get kids who range from reading 2-3 years below grade level to 1 year above. An OGL basal just doesn't meet their needs. I do have to keep them in my room, though.

4. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Aug 4, 2010

What program did they replace it with?

5. smurfette

smurfette Habitué

Aug 4, 2010

Sorry, missed the question about you being upset. I would probably be miffed if I felt that I was meeting everyone's needs with the basals, and that they were taken away because other teachers were not performing. One thing I hate is when admin sees a problem with some teachers and imposes a rule on all teachers, even the ones who were doing the right thing. They need to work with those teachers who are not doing the right thing rather than punish everyone.

6. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 4, 2010

So you replaced one formatted program with another? This doesn't seem like a change in philosophy, just a change in resources. Supplement your new program with 'quality literature' in the form of trade books and design activities around the new reading material and the kids' independent reading.

7. MelissainGA

MelissainGA Groupie

Aug 4, 2010

Smurfette,

I had 100 percent of my students pass state testing in Reading using what I was using. Now I am having to "reinvent the wheel" without having anything really to reinvent it with.

8. jde3399

jde3399 Rookie

Aug 4, 2010

We have a basal and do use it, but it is not the only thing that is used. We use the basal as a base line to try and expose mainly the lower students to this reading material but with support (choral reading, echo reading, etc) but then we suppliment other material to meet the individual needs of each student.