Do you twitter celebrities?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by McKennaL, Dec 5, 2009.

1. McKennaL

McKennaL Groupie

Dec 5, 2009

I went to dinner last night with a friend.

He mentioned that he has a twitter account...*I* am SO out of this-and don't care to join in the LEAST!!

But our dinner was interupted by..... Lance Armstrong.

SERIOUSLY?????????

You REALLY need to know that he has been traveling so much that it took him 5 minutes that morning to remember what city he was in????

From time to time I will read the gossip magazines. Mostly on my breaks at the grocery store. Yet I feel a little... a cross between who cares/this is probably all made up or PRODUCED anyway/though they put themselves out there...it's none of my business/who gives a dang??????

But then to suscribe to a person's "page" (or whatever it's called) so they can tell you that they are watching tv/scratching their butt/deciding what to have for breakfast... Really???? do you NEED that? Is that WORTH stopping YOUR life to read about someine that doesn't know YOU or that you have NO chance in the world of EVER really knowing?

i seriously don't get this.

(Sorry if I offend anyone)...it seems SOOOO jr. highish. So "Tiger Beat"-like. And I gave THAT up in the 8th grade.

I don't UNDERSTAND this need for INSTANT communication (texting - e-mails on your blackberry - twitter) other than emergencies or messages involving one's own children (as a matter of the child's safety and well being).

Can't people live in the MOMENT??? Must they always grasp for what MIGHT be glimmering on the other side of the fence (That life in someone ELSE'S world might be more important/glamourous/interesting than the company you are immediately in???)

He was telling me it was so.....addicting and up to date.

Is that GOOD? I finally had to ask him to put it away after the 4th or 5th e-mail and 3rd or 4th tweet came in.

Are you suscribed to someone?

Can you explain the draw? I don't GET it!

3. McKennaL

McKennaL Groupie

Dec 5, 2009

He said to me... "Weren't you the one who said...it's rude to not answer the cell phone when someone calls. I corrected him.

"I SAID that I know that you (he) check your cell phone the MOMENT it rings...and then CHOOSE if you will answer it. So that when I call, and DON"T reach you I realize that I was noticed and deemed unworthy of being answered. SO I grimous at my phone and stick out my tongue at you. - If it's important I leave a message...but usually i figure just seeing that i called will mean- call me when you feel like it."

Recently he said...

"I tried to text you...and it came back that you are not equiped to receive texts? Seriously??"

My phone takes calls. It has voice mail for important messages (capability of holding about 10-15 messages), an alarm clock - THAT I use (but only one feature of I don't know how many capabilities - that i don't even bother to discover), and they insisted I have a camera on the phone (there weren't any WITHOUT a camera). The pictures are terrible/useless - and I only took one of my dog looking sad- and set it as a wallpaper with the caption "Come home to me!" ...Since I stay at school way too late.

What more does one REALLY need?

4. scienceteach82

scienceteach82 Cohort

Dec 5, 2009

No...I don't follow them...and think it's stupid. I had a free twitter app on my phone and tried it for a little while...but it's just dumb.

5. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Dec 5, 2009

I don't twitter. I have never twittered. I WILL NEVER TWITTER!

6. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Dec 5, 2009

McKennal, you said EXACTLY what I think. I loved your analogy to Tiger Beat!!! I don't get it either.

7. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Dec 5, 2009

Wow. I admit to following a couple of celebrities (Stephen Colbert especially), but mostly because they are the ones who spew random, silly stuff. It's an extension of their entertainment value in my eyes. Lance Armstrong? Meh. I DEFINITELY don't have Twitter on my phone and tend to keep that device off or on vibrate when out with friends.

8. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

Dec 5, 2009

I don't twitter anyone.

In fact, my cell phone has recently been relegated to the same bag as my spare bike tubes, CO2 pump, and multitool. The only time I use it is when something on my bike breaks and I need a ride. Which is never.

9. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Dec 5, 2009

I use Twitter for professional development.

I follow and am followed by only educators. It is absolutely, without a doubt, one of the best things I have done for my teaching career.

Need an idea? Presto!
    Want to share a new tool. Viola!
    Want to know what an educator you admire thinks? Bingo!

I'm not using hyperbole when I say that Twitter has given me the colleagues that I WISH I had in my school. But, I feel like my members of my Twitter PLN (professional learning network) ARE my colleagues.

I use Tweetdeck to manage Twitter (the Twitter page on the web isn't easy to make use of).

I do not follow any celebrities. Only educators that post about education.

I turn my phone off when I'm at work, when I'm at dinner, etc. I use texting to communicate, but not like teenagers do.

10. scienceteach82

scienceteach82 Cohort

Dec 5, 2009

ku, I like your idea for usage. That makes a lot of sense.

11. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Dec 5, 2009

I use Twitter much like KU does (she and I follow lots of the same people!), and I have about 6 really close friends that I follow as well. I don't follow any celebrities but I'm not a celebrity kind of person.

My friends and I text message quite a lot. It's quick and easy communication, and it's non-evasive.

I don't get offended if someone doesn't answer the phone when I call. Who knows what they are doing at that time? Maybe they are in an important meeting. Maybe they are in the restroom. Maybe they are in the middle of a deep discussion with their child or spouse. Maybe they are eating and don't want to be rude to their guests. I don't take it personally. That's why I like texting more. You read it when you get a chance and you respond when you can.

12. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Dec 5, 2009

It took 2 attempts to "get it" with Twitter.
    But, now that I "got it" it is phenomenal.

If anyone wants to get started with using Twitter as professional development, I can help. All it takes is getting connected to the a few of the right people and then your online PLN grows to whatever point you want it.

13. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Dec 5, 2009

ku, that makes a lot of sense and I can understand why some would have it for professional use. I had never connected it to that before. I still don't see myself using it though. I can barely keep up with things as they are.

14. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Dec 5, 2009

I don't have a facebook account.

I don't twitter.

I don't text.

I do email; it's a great way to keep in touch with family and friends when I'm awake and the only one up-- that's 5:30ish am and that's the time I can most count on to really think.

I've spent more than my share of time in doctor's offices, so I've read more than I need to about Jon and Kate and the rest of the PEOPLE people. But those magazines were hit only after I had already read Time or Newseek, and before I got to the point where I wanted to read Cancer Today or whatever it's called.

My own life is full. I really don't want or need to know the intimate details of anyone else's.

15. GoldenPoppy

GoldenPoppy Habitué

Dec 5, 2009

Exactly how I feel.

16. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Dec 5, 2009

McKennaL, I am in my 20's and I hate hate hate a LOT of this stuff. Now, I do have Facebook and a cellphone.
    Cellphone-I was dragged into getting the cellphone, and while I use like maybe 100 minutes of it a month, it is nice to know I have it in case of an emergency (I've used it several times now when my car broke down on the freeway). I DON"T text.

Facebook- I got it way back when it was used only by college students. It was simple back then and I liked it. Now, it's blown up and anyone, everyone can use it. I still have it because it helps keep in touch with my college friends. I can see their pictures, and PM them. But, I don't like how it's so big now.

Twitter- man I hate that name. I don't see any use for it. If I want professional advice, I'll come here or got to my real life colleagues. THough, I'm glad you guys have found a great way to use it! That's just one more tool that I don't need.

I like the simple life. I am NOT on my phone texting all day. It's so interesting to be standing at the college, waiting for my class to start, and seeing everyone on their phone texting. No one talking to each other.

17. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Dec 5, 2009

Texting is so out of control! The girl who crashed into my son was on her phone texting!:mad:

18. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Dec 5, 2009

I hope she felt really stupid!!! Is your son okay?

19. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Dec 5, 2009

Yes, thank goodness he's fine! She had enough money to pay for a cell phone with a texting package but apparently not enough to buy auto insurance! GRRRRRRR

20. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Dec 5, 2009

Ugh, geeeez. Well, this is going off-topic, so I'm sorry OP!!!! But, that is so annoying. I get so mad at people who can barely afford to put good healthy food on the table for their kids or nice clothes, yet they can buy cellphones. Tsk....

21. MuggleBug

MuggleBug Companion

Dec 5, 2009

I follow a couple funny celebs on Twitter just because they're entertaining - Stephen Colbert is good, Neil Patrick Harris. I also follow Bob Harper (Biggest Loser trainer) because he will occasionally post fitness challenges and tips (he's busier now but he used to do it daily). I follow some of the pro dancers from Dancing with the Stars because I like to hear about the behind-the-scenes stuff when the show is airing.

I don't ever post anything on my Twitter but I do like to read some of their stuff.

22. oldfashioned

oldfashioned Comrade

Dec 5, 2009

Ku, I am intrigued by the way you are using Twitter to improve your teaching. Although I am not interested in following celebs on Twitter, Twitter is a huge social phenomenon, and even though I am an old fashioned old dog in my 50's, I do believe in keeping up with technology and social phenomena, because you never know when it'll help you better relate to your students or provide an opportunity to improve as a teacher. Would you mind PM-ing me with the names of the educators you follow? Many thanks!

23. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Dec 5, 2009

Done!

24. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Dec 5, 2009

25. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Dec 5, 2009

Twitter- man I hate that name. I don't see any use for it. If I want professional advice, I'll come here or got to my real life colleagues. THough, I'm glad you guys have found a great way to use it! That's just one more tool that I don't need.

I get some professional advice here, some from my colleagues. But, I find my Twitter PLN to be full of educators that are on the cutting edge of technology, are open to change, love their job. I can find some of that here, some of that at school ... but my Twitter folks have revolutionized and rejuvenized my teaching.

26. oldfashioned

oldfashioned Comrade

Dec 5, 2009

Thanks for PM-ing me, Ku! Hope others can follow your lead and use Twitter for more than just entertainment.