Do you tutor your own children?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by ozteach, Nov 12, 2012.

1. ozteach

ozteach Comrade

Nov 12, 2012

I don't mean homework help, I mean actually working through curriculum with them to help. My son is going into Year 7 (7th grade, first year of high school here). He doesn't do very well in Maths, but for some reason I don't seem to be able to tutor him. Partly it's the difficulty of finding a time when he's not tired, his homework is done and I'm available. Partly, he just doesn't seem to think I know what I'm talking about. We've used a Maths tutor for our daughters over the last few years of High School, but that's because I want someone to help them who is currently teaching.
    So, my question is: would you pay someone (about $70 an hour) to tutor your child in a subject you were capable of teaching yourself? The money's not the problem, it's more the idea of it that bothers me!

3. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Nov 12, 2012

I don't have children, but I know people who can't tutor their own children because the kids just don't work well with them outside of the parent relationship.

Years ago I had a parent who homeschooled her two daughters until 8th grade, when she sent them to our school to take the advanced classes. Her son had been in public school since first grade. Se said that he never was able to separate "mom" from "teacher", and she just couldn't homeschool him effectively. Public school was best for him.

Seems like your tutoring situation might be working the same way.

4. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Nov 12, 2012

One of my children had a horrible science teacher. Horrible. Teaching incorrect "facts" and grading inconsistently. If my daughter was to pass the end of grade test, I had to teach her the material myself.

5. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Nov 12, 2012

There's much to be said for homeschooling in the right circumstances, but there's also a very great deal to be said for not having to make every. last. one. of your mistakes in front of your parent.

6. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Nov 12, 2012

I really struggled with math in school. Despite the fact that both of my parents are teachers, they finally broke down and just got me an outside tutor because she couldn't take the constant fighting and stress. My mom still says it's the best money she ever spent!

7. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Nov 13, 2012

Sometimes an outside person can explain something in a different way then you do. If you are helping him with his homework and he still needs more tutoring, then your explanations might not be enough or he needs to see and hear it explained in a different way.

8. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Nov 13, 2012

I can't. I can't even always get through his homework effectively. Ironically though, when I visit the school, he lets me help him easily. With his current school not having the resources or proper training enough to really deal with his issues, in the back of my mind I have to consider the possibility of homeschooling and the only way I think I could actually make it work is to teach him AT school. Yeah, that's probably not going to go over very well. It's really that he sees home as home and school as school.

9. lucybelle

lucybelle Connoisseur

Nov 13, 2012

Does he have a friend or older sibling that could help?