Do you toot your own horn at work?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Jerseygirlteach, Dec 23, 2014.

1. Jerseygirlteach

Jerseygirlteach Groupie

Dec 23, 2014

If you accomplish something like getting a project funded through Donors Choose or something, do you make a point of letting your principal know? Or is that crass and one should just keep it to oneself?

What do you think?

3. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Dec 23, 2014

Letting him/her one-on-one is wonderful. Personally, I'd want to know! At a staff meeting in front of everyone--not so much.

During my district-wide VP meetings, there are people who go on and on about what they're doing at their site. It gets annoying. Generally, I don't speak at the meetings unless I'm being directly asked a question.

4. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Dec 23, 2014

I'd definitely tell my P, but she's very approachable and we have a great relationship. I could say something at our staff meeting without sounding too much, because our school is very small so these meetings are very informal. But honestly there is only one teacher that would be interested in knowing, so I'd probably just tell her personally.

5. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Dec 24, 2014

Via email, sure ... I feel like my P would be genuinely happy for me and our students.

I'd tell a few other teacher friends because we like supporting each other.

Beyond that, no.

6. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Dec 24, 2014

I have generally kept those things to myself. If it just benefits my class, I don't need to toot my own horn. If it benefits other classes, as well, I tell those other teachers.

One year, many years ago, I wrote a large grant and won a computer lab with 30 computers and several laser printers. The P had decided she didn't like me any more and announced to the whole school what a wonderful person she was to get us the lab. I guess that kind of helped me decide not to share things.

7. GTB4GT

GTB4GT Cohort

Dec 24, 2014

I am not the type. I already have confidence in my administration so I keep the interaction with them to a bare minimum level. They are busy and so am I. However I am not as extroverted as others so I understand how others may handle things differently.

8. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Dec 24, 2014

I would send a quick email. It's not tooting your own horn so much as just letting them know what's going on in your classroom.

9. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Dec 24, 2014

it depends upon the climate. At a school where I used to work, I wouldn't share with a few people because they'd turn around and make the win their own. Or they'd find a thousand negatives in what I shared.

At my current school teachers have always been encouraged to share good news with everyone at staff meetings. This could range from getting a grant to running a marathon for the first time. Sometimes the principal will share for you if you don't :)

10. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Dec 24, 2014

We always have 'celebrations' on our staff meeting agendas, which would be an appropriate time to share something like that. It's part of our school culture to celebrate each other's accomplishments.

11. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Dec 24, 2014

No, I don't. Donors Choose usually emails the principal and any other teachers that are signed up at your school.

12. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Dec 24, 2014

I don´t toot my own horn.

13. Go Blue!

Go Blue! Connoisseur

Dec 24, 2014

No. Never.

14. Jerseygirlteach

Jerseygirlteach Groupie

Dec 24, 2014

I don't think they email the principal. They didn't last time I had a project funded. She didn't know about it at all until she walked into my room, commented on the packages, and I told her where I got them.

How would DC get my principal's email address? If they're going to tell her anyway, I won't. But I worked hard to get funding and I would like her to know.

15. LisaLisa

LisaLisa Companion

Dec 24, 2014

It depends on the circumstances. If it's something that benefits my students or the school in general, then yes. I'll also tell other teachers in order to encourage them to participate in similar workshops, grants, etc.
    I might tell the principal about a personal accomplishment if the timing is right. They have too much to deal with already.

16. Rockguykev

Rockguykev Connoisseur

Dec 24, 2014

They do contact the school, usually by fax I think. My secretary always knew things were coming without me saying anything.

To the original question, I don't really tell anyone. If the project is worth people knowing then others will find out and tell them. I think it is sad that we don't share our successes much at my site but that's the way it is.

17. Go Blue!

Go Blue! Connoisseur

Dec 24, 2014

Then this is all that matters.

18. FourSquare

FourSquare Fanatic

Dec 24, 2014

I don't email about DC. DC contacts the school, so she always knows anyway. Then she sends a nice little email each month with staff celebrations. DC grants are usually included in that.

There's nothing I could think of that she wouldn't ultimately find out without me saying anything, so I don't share.

19. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Dec 24, 2014

I have no problem e-mailing my admins about successes-it's the only way they would know about them because they rarely walk through to see things on their own. I don't always let them know about DC projects though-I'm always afraid they will want to inventory the items for the school.

20. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Dec 24, 2014

Don't DC items stay with the classroom if the teacher leaves?

21. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Dec 25, 2014

No. Don't have time for that. DonorsChoose sends an email to the office anyway to let them know a package is coming, and sends emails to every teacher in the school who is also on DonorsChoose. No point in pressing it further.

I may mention it if it's something I think the whole staff can use or an idea that some other teachers might be interested in.

22. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Dec 25, 2014

Only if the principal agrees to let it go with the teacher.

23. iteachbx

iteachbx Enthusiast

Dec 26, 2014

I keep it to myself. Certain items, like my Hokki Stools and 3D printer obviously raise questions and of course I explain where they came from. I know other teachers at the school who are on Donors Choose get an email.

24. FourSquare

FourSquare Fanatic

Dec 26, 2014

I have never NOT taken anything with me to a new school that I obtained on DC. I feel like I did the work of getting that stuff, so it's mine. The only thing I might leave if I ever go to a different school is my guided reading table....cause I just don't have anywhere to put that. :lol:

25. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Dec 26, 2014

Well that policy is also part of the reason I don't tell the principal everything I got from DonorsChoose. But I doubt she'd let me leave alive with my set of 25 Chromebooks I got. :lol:

I just remember when one of our teachers was leaving, my principal brought it up that technically she needed permission to take some piece of technology with her to her new school that she got from DonorsChoose, and the teacher was like "Uh, no, yeah, I'm taking this. Bye." The principal didn't push it. LOL. That teacher was a real powerhouse.

26. FourSquare

FourSquare Fanatic

Dec 26, 2014

All of my stuff has been fairly little...document camera, math manipulatives, literacy games, etc. The one big thing I got was a full size carpet and I rolled that baby up and hauled it to my apartment. I'd do the same with that table, but that's not as easily hauled. :p

I'd have no problem walking out with every single Chromebook, though! You can fit those in your car. I doubt most principals would even notice, let alone fight you. Nobody has time to sincerely file a complaint/sue you/whatever.

27. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Dec 27, 2014

I got things for years that were considered mine and then we had a principal for a few months who wanted everything inventoried for the school. I'm not sure how the new principal feels about, do I just keep it as quiet as possible.;) DC says that's the way it should be, however, it's ultimately up to the school policy.

28. LisaLisa

LisaLisa Companion

Dec 27, 2014

29. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Dec 27, 2014

I am 100% certain my principal wouldn't ask one of our teachers to leave their Donors Choose materials at the site.

We have several teachers at our site who've had projects funded. I love Donors Choose!!! :wub:

30. iteachbx

iteachbx Enthusiast

Dec 27, 2014

I don't think my principal even knows the policy regarding the materials. I would definitely take the Hokki stools with me. Making those projects for Donors Choose and getting them funded takes time, energy and commitment that not all teachers have. Not to mention most of my donations came from my own family and friends! I have to say I don't agree with that policy. I would probably leave behind my small reading rug just because it would be a hassle to take it and it's not in mint condition anymore anyway.

31. otterpop

otterpop Aficionado

Dec 27, 2014

No, not unless specifically asked where I got things, and even then I would be careful with my answer. Getting grants funded is something I do on my own time for my own class.

32. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Dec 27, 2014

I've never done donor's choose, but just in general I definitely wouldn't e-mail the principal to brag about some sort of accomplishment. I feel like even if the accomplishment was truly great, the fact that I was bragging about it would make me look bad regardless. I do talk about how well my students are doing in my evaluation pre/post conferences, because I feel like that is the appropriate time to have those discussions. I also always frame it as, "I'm so proud of my students because…" rather than saying, "Oh I've done such a good job teaching this concept because…" Even if I were talking about my students' data, I wouldn't feel comfortable sending an e-mail or popping into the P's office to say something like, "Hey my kids are doing great on their aims web fluency!" or something like that.

33. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Dec 28, 2014

Yeah, same in regards to family and friends donating to my projects. However I have also had a lot of parent donations from students' families. Our P's explanation is that these parents donated to projects for the good of their children and their school. :dunno: