Do you think this principal is really interested or just being nice?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by workingwithkids, Jun 19, 2016.

1. workingwithkids

workingwithkids Rookie

Jun 19, 2016

A little background info: I taught for 4 years and then took two years off to evaluate whether I wanted to stay in teaching. I took a paraeducator position for 3.5 years to gain more experience with special education (I knew very little). The entire time, I was a paraeducator, I was applying for teaching jobs with no offers.

Last December, I received an interview for a third grade teaching position at a title 1 school. The principal had already spoken to the principal where I was a paraeducator and said at the end of the interview that she was very impressed with me but they had to give the position to a displaced teacher.

Last week, the secretary for this school called and set up an interview for me for a kindergarten or first grade position (she said they were interviewing candidates for multiple positions to see where they were the best fit).

I show up to the interview and find out it is for a ppcd position. I am surprised but do an okay, not great, job on the interview. At the end of the interview, the principal tells me that they will be interviewing several other candidates that have more experience than I do but she really wants to find a position for me at her school.

Do you think she is just being nice or that she is really interested in me?

3. pommom

pommom Comrade

Jun 19, 2016

"but she really wants to find a position for me at her school."
    that statement is a very positive thing, she didn't have to say that all. But I would for sure still be applying and interviewing for other positions.

BioAngel likes this.
  4. mckbearcat48

mckbearcat48 Cohort

Jun 19, 2016

If I weren't the cynical former lawyer I am, I would be happy to hear that line. But since I think people are by default lying, it could be that she is being nice. Either way, what you can take from it is a positive reaction from the interviewer.

5. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jun 20, 2016

The school called you for the interview. Seems you've made an impression and they are looking for a good fit. That said, keep applying everywhere.

What is ppcd?

6. pommom

pommom Comrade

Jun 20, 2016

preschool SPED (in my area it is)

7. workingwithkids

workingwithkids Rookie

Jun 21, 2016

Thanks for your response, I am continuing to apply for other positions but I really want her school. I have been on several intervews where I was glad I didn't get the job but I was crushed when I didn't get it in December even though she told me at the end of the interview that they were giving it to a displaced teacher.

8. workingwithkids

workingwithkids Rookie

Jun 21, 2016

Thanks for your response. I hate to doubt people's intentions but I was burned by an assistant principal last year. My district does a long interview (50+ questions where they count how many trigger words you use to answer each question) when they want to hire you. This ap gave me the long interview and told me how well I did and he was happy to have me join his team. He asked me to come back the next day to meet my grade level team and the principal. I happily agreed. The next day, I called to see what time to come meet my team and he told me they decided to interview some more candidates. I was really upset.

9. workingwithkids

workingwithkids Rookie

Jun 21, 2016

10. Clay Morgan

Clay Morgan Rookie

Jun 21, 2016

I like to try to find the positives in such statements, but it can be difficult can't it.

Seven principals at two job fairs said they were going to contact me for interviews. Never happened. Sometimes, I think people are scared of telling someone thanks but not thanks.

The flip side is he could be quite sincere. You just never know.