Do you think this is wrong

Discussion in 'Middle School / Junior High' started by Htrbaby7591, Aug 3, 2012.

1. Htrbaby7591

Htrbaby7591 New Member

Aug 3, 2012

Last year I was a student teacher for a sixth grade class. Anyways, one day one of the students asked to go to the bathroom during a lesson. The teacher said no. About 15-20 minutes later (still in the lesson) he asked again. She still said no. About 5 minutes later he peed his pants. I noticed because I kept watching him to make sure he was ok. No one else had noticed what had happened yet, because he was hiding it. Anyways, I went up to him and asked him if he had an accident (obviously). He said yes and I took him to the nurse. Did I do the right thing or what??

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 3, 2012

You did the right thing.

When setting up your own classroom, keep this in mind. Have a restroom policy...:(

4. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Aug 3, 2012

Why do you think that might have been the wrong thing to do? What did your cooperating teacher say at the time? Why are you raising this question now, a long time after the event occurred?

5. Htrbaby7591

Htrbaby7591 New Member

Aug 3, 2012

Sorry I worded the question weird. I mean after that event, I'm wondering how to handle bathroom procedures

6. Ms.SLS

Ms.SLS Cohort

Aug 4, 2012

A lot of people do things like a limited number of bathroom passes for the week/quarter/semester. So, kids can go whenever they need to, but if they use their passes up, they're out of luck. This cuts down on (at least some of) the non-emergency visits, but allows kids to go if they need to.

7. Mathemagician

Mathemagician Groupie

Aug 4, 2012

I think it's wrong to prevent them from using the restroom if they need to use it. My only rule is one person is out at a time with a pass. Now if I notice someone is constantly going during my class (like everyday), then I might talk to that person after class to see if they can go at another time to prevent all of the missed class time.

8. Rebel1

Rebel1 Connoisseur

Aug 4, 2012

You did fine.
    Did you talk with the teacher about what happened?
    We live and learn and to bring this question up now is all right because a lot of us teachers can read and rethink our ways of handling the children in our classes, when this issue comes UP.:whistle:
    I know sometimes "SOME" teachers get into their "MY RULES" kind of attitude that they forget that some children just MIGHT have potty issues. Each child is different, and it depends on the age group too. This happened to a student in our school this week. His statement to the teacher, "Look what you did to me!" It was not the teacher's fault because another child was in the bathroom, and according to the child's guardians, he tends to wait until the last minute.
    Rebel1

9. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Aug 4, 2012

This is my policy exactly. I have enough to do without playing bathroom police. Sometimes you just have to go! I address it with the individual student if I feel it's being abused.

10. Aussiegirl

Aussiegirl Habitué

Aug 5, 2012

Our team does this. Every marking period, each student receives a set of passes - one per week of the marking period. They can use them all at once, or use them sparingly. After they are gone, they rarely get permission to go to the bathroom. Personally, I allow a student to give one of their own passes if they choose to do so. I've also had kids need to go, but forgot their passes. I've let them go with the proviso that they give me one of the passes later. I've never had someone forget to do that! I was shocked.

11. lbradley1718

lbradley1718 Comrade

Aug 5, 2012

I taught Kindergarten last year, so I pretty much never denied my kids restroom privileges .

12. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Aug 5, 2012

My basic policy is that you cannot use the restroom during actual instruction. Students can use the restroom during practice times or warm up, but I try my best to keep kids in the room during instruction.

Now, if a student had an emergency, I would let them go. But my lessons are usually short, so I don't really have this problem too often.

13. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Aug 5, 2012

I'm with Math and Band.

14. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Aug 5, 2012

I work with an extremely strict teacher. She won't allow them to go for the first 90 minutes of the school day. However, I have several family members with IBS, and I know that holding it is not always possible.

Personally, I let them go twice a day as long as I am not teaching.

When I was in MS/HS, they had a common policy. There was a passes page in our agendas. There were 6 passes per period per semester. Once those were gone, they were gone.

You have to have a policy- especially at the middle school age- because they will take advantage of a 'go whenever you want' policy.

15. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Aug 5, 2012

I taught middle school and never had a bathroom policy. Go if you need to.

16. DOBY

DOBY Rookie

Aug 26, 2012

I taught 6th grade and will be teaching 8th grade math this school year. The kids will take advantage of always go to the bathroom when they want to. With my 8 graders, I will let them have 3 bathroom passes a month.You gain 5pts extra credit if you don't use it, if you go more than 3 eg 4 times you loose 5pts,5 times =10pts....etc. In that way they are learning to make good choices. If a student have to go, it must be an emergency otherwise they know to go passing period.

17. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 26, 2012

I will never tell a kid he cannot use the bathroom. I may ask him whether he can wait a minute or two, but I will never say no.

If I think he's playing games, I tell him to use the bathroom in the dean's office and come back with a pass. On occasion, the kid has said yes, and done just that. The others smile and get back to work.

18. sumnerfan

sumnerfan Comrade

Aug 26, 2012

I had to go to passes this year. Last year my room felt like a revolving door for nurse and bathroom visits. And of course, they all swore it was an absolute emergency. The passes really have helped to cut down on unnecessary visits. The kids still ask to go to the restroom, but most change their mind when I ask for a pass. It shows me that they were taking advantage of my kind nature.

19. Shanoo

Shanoo Habitué

Aug 28, 2012

I always let my kids go. If it's an inconvenient time, like during instruction, I'll ask them if they can wait, or if it's an emergency. If they say emergency, they go. If they say they can wait, they wait.

I find a lot of my kids are fairly honest about it. Most say they can wait.

20. lucybelle

lucybelle Connoisseur

Aug 28, 2012

I have 3rd-8th my policy is no bathroom in the first 10 minutes nor last 10 minutes of class. I almost always let kids go unless I'm in the middle of instruction. After a while you start to notice which kids always ask and are trying to just leave the room. To them I say "ask me in 10 minutes". If they really need to go, they'll ask in 10 minutes. If they don't, they'll forget.

21. pvcpa

pvcpa Rookie

Aug 29, 2012

Allow students to go to the bathroom. We never deny a student. If a student is abusing the issue then we address the issue with that student.

the teacher who denied a student the use of restroom and that student had an accident would be written up in our school, especially in a 6th grade class.

22. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Aug 29, 2012

We have a new administration this year. One of the changes they've instituted is a policy of no passes during class. They are going so far as to keep most of the bathrooms locked during instructional time (and unlocking during passing periods and lunch). For true emergencies and female issues, we have been instructed to send students to the nurse. They must return with a pass from the nurse's office, otherwise they will be written up for truancy. The kids aren't happy about the policy, but they are getting the message.

For those who aren't familiar with the school environment where I teach, it's an urban school with lots of drugs, violence, gangs, and prostitution. The unsupervised bathrooms were where most of the bad stuff happened. I think that the policy is extreme, but I also feel like extreme measures were necessary because our school has been getting worse over the past couple of years. I hope that administrators will loosen up the policy as the year goes by and as the students demonstrate better behavior.