Do you think this is an appropriate poster?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by waterfall, Aug 14, 2011.

1. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

Aug 14, 2011

My friend showed me a really cool website where you can make your own posters. I'm making little 8x11 ones with each of our "community traits" on them. I typed in "responsibility" under images on bing, and one of the first pictures that came up was a dog scooping up his own poo with a little caption that says "You made the mess...you clean it up." I thought it was funny, but would anyone think this is innappropriate for an elementary classroom?

3. PCdiva

PCdiva Connoisseur

Aug 14, 2011

I think its funny! I think the kids will think its funny too! HOWEVER, I don't think I would hang it in an elementary classroom...I think there will be many people who think it is inappropriate.

4. Cerek

Cerek Aficionado

Aug 15, 2011

That IS a funny poster, but I think it might be a bit inappropriate for an elementary school room. It might not have been so bad if it were drawn rather than photoshopped, but would probably still be pushing the limit a bit.

Hey, at least it wasn't as bad as the old man with the lion. :lol:

5. teach24iam

teach24iam Comrade

Aug 15, 2011

6. time out

time out Comrade

Aug 15, 2011

Here's the image the OP is talking about:
    [​IMG]

It is funny but I know there will be a few parents who might not like it for the classroom.

7. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 15, 2011

Some kids might think it's funny...others my find it disgusting...so might administrators. The fact that its a photo makes the 'pile' just a bit too realistic...ick.:(:eek:

8. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 15, 2011

I don't know whether it's appropriate or not, but I would imagine it will be disruptive.

I think I would avoid it simply because some of the kids will make a bid deal out of it, and I wouldn't want to invite the problem.

Also, I know I wouldn't want to be the kid sitting next to that poster, looking at it every day.

9. Lynnnn725

Lynnnn725 Connoisseur

Aug 15, 2011

I agree with all the others! It is funny though! lol

10. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Aug 15, 2011

I think it's funny! Could you cover the poop with a sticker or something? I mean, everyone could still infer what it is but it might not be as bothersome.

11. CFClassroom

CFClassroom Connoisseur

Aug 15, 2011

ehhhh....

When I first read the post my initial thought was, "The kids would get a kick out of it, but I would probably stay away from anything that could be controversial with parents or administration."

AFTER seeing the image I would respond with a very big, "HECK NO!" It's extremely graphic and IMHO the "that's kind of funny" feeling I got from reading the initial post was replaced with a "that's really gross."

Sorry.
    After seeing the image

12. John Lee

John Lee Groupie

Aug 15, 2011

If you can create your own poster, just eliminate the picture of the poop and put something else there. Superimpose the word "mess" or something over the poop, photoshop the poop, black out the poop--you now have a poster AtoZ approves of.

13. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 15, 2011

It's not about having a poster 'AtoZ' approves of. The OP asked if the experienced teachers on these boards thought it appropriate for school.

14. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

Aug 15, 2011

Aw I wish I would have thought about putting a sticker over it earlier. I already made one with some kids cleaning up a park instead. Boring but I don't have to worry about it. I found some really cute ones for the others.

This is the website, if anyone is interested in making some:
    http://bighugelabs.com/motivator.php

You can create your own and then pay to have them printed as large posters, but if you just want a page-size one they'll let you print it out for free. I didn't want any bigger than that anyway since these are just to go on top of our rules we'll create in the back of the room. If your printer can handle cardstock, that would probably look really good. I'm going to try to laminate mine.