Do you think this could happen?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Loveslabs, Nov 3, 2013.

1. Loveslabs

Loveslabs Companion

Nov 3, 2013

We have three spots open for the school board where I teach. Two of the candidates are campaigning on the promise that they will cut teacher pay in order to restore certain amenities. Their premise is we should only be payed for the hours we are with the children actually teaching.

They do not think we should be payed for planning time or meeting time. They have even gone so far as to say we should not be payed for the 40 minutes 2 times a week the students are at specials.

Someone said to them that teachers need time to plan. Their response was, " They chose their career, so I guess they should have thought of that before they went into education."

Also, they have stated we would no longer be provided with health insurance benefits because we are only part time employees.

Does anyone really think this could ever happen? Has anyone ever heard of this happening in a school district?

3. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Nov 3, 2013

Holy crap. God willing, those idiots aren't actually given any type of authority.

4. Shanoo

Shanoo Habitué

Nov 3, 2013

I can't say whether that could ever happen, or has ever happened, but I can say that it would never fly here. Ever.

Here, teachers bargain collectively with the province for the big things (pay, tenure, job security, maternity leave) and then teachers in each school division bargain collectively again, this time with the school division, for the smaller things (sick leave, how jobs are filled, etc). School board members have NO say in our salaries and if they tried, they would have a huge fight on their hands.

I guess I just don't understand how the public (assuming those two candidates get elected, therefore saying the public agrees with their platforms) can expect a quality education for their children when they're all but forcing the best teachers to leave? I certainly wouldn't stay in this profession if I were to be paid an hourly wage, called a part-time employee and have my medical benefits taken from me.

5. bison

bison Habitué

Nov 3, 2013

Do you have a union?

6. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Nov 3, 2013

I have to imagine that a couple weeks of teachers working by the rule would immediately reopen negotiations. Can you even imagine what a trainwreck it would be if teachers were given an hourly wage and then just (rightfully) refused to work outside of those hours?

Actually, if they turned teachers into hourly employees, here in the United States it would be illegal for teachers to work outside contract hours.

7. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Nov 3, 2013

The more I think about this, the funnier I find it. If you only pay teachers for the time they are with kids, then you can't require them to work outside of that time. You can't require them to plan lessons, you can't require them to grade, you can't require them to go to meetings... Anything teachers are required to do, they would have to be able to do with the kids in the room. And as an added bonus, it would be illegal to expect them to do anything if the kids WEREN'T in the room. Teachers would be fully within their rights to open up their classroom door at the moment the first bell rang and to leave at the closing bell.

I hope this doesn't happen to know, but I'd love to see it happen somewhere, just so that people like this would have a firm example of why it's such a crappy idea.

8. HorseLover

HorseLover Comrade

Nov 3, 2013

That would be like only paying business men for the time they spend in meetings

9. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Nov 3, 2013

Nothing would surprise me anymore.

10. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Nov 3, 2013

I actually would love for this to happen in my district. It would be hilarious to see the outcome. And the immediate backpeddling.

11. bonnjer

bonnjer Rookie

Nov 3, 2013

Let me guess...these candidates have never been teachers?

I've always wondered how it is that you can serve on a school board, but never have been in education. That be like me serving on a board for doctors or business...even though I have no knowledge of those professions.

12. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Nov 3, 2013

I suppose anything can happen. But will they be able to hire and retain quality teachers?

13. Loveslabs

Loveslabs Companion

Nov 3, 2013

Yes, we do have a union. It makes me angry that these two women have run a positive race so far. Many people are supporting them. Suddenly, they bring this up. It is almost like a last ditch effort to get any votes from people on the fence. On one hand they rave about the wonderful teachers in our system, and then they basically say we are overpaid and it has to stop. It is rather disheartening!

14. AdamnJakesMommy

AdamnJakesMommy Habitué

Nov 3, 2013

I'd be like: hey I'm not getting paid during planning--this must be tantamount to an hourly person's lunch break... Okay, well since I'm hourly now, I'm clocking out-- off to the tanning bed.

That's about as stupid as saying burger king employees shouldn't be paid for time they aren't serving customers...stupid.

15. EMonkey

EMonkey Connoisseur

Nov 3, 2013

I would advise having teachers start to show up at all their speeches and give feedback to their plan. I also would advise response on all posts about it. I also would advise speaking to those who are on the board and find out if they are going along with it and explain if they do go along the teachers and as soon as parents see the repercussions parents also will be working to vote them out at the next election. You might also at the meetings just keep asking "don't you know anything about the rules of contracts and bargaining?"

You might work on the slimy type of employee management they obviously have done in order to think this would be acceptable treatment of any employee. It is an either or either they are slimy managers or they have absolutely no experience managing employees.