Do you think they'll call back?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by Jerseygirlteach, Jun 28, 2012.

1. Jerseygirlteach

Jerseygirlteach Groupie

Jun 28, 2012

Eek, now I'm nervous. Next week, I'm going on vacation with my children and my mother. Note: It would not be possible to come back during the week. I know it might not have been the best idea to schedule a vacation when I'm looking for a job, but I worked hard this year and really felt like my kids and I deserved a break. Plus, my mother is paying and this is when she was going. :)

So, of course, I just got called for an interview for next week. I told her my situation and begged her to schedule me for this week or the week after next. She said she couldn't get in touch with the people right now and they wouldn't be available for the rest of this week but "not to worry" because she'd work it out and call back next week and leave a message with my husband.

Do you think they'll schools try to accomodate people who aren't available to interview when they want them to be? Or, do they just get tossed aside?

I'm really going to be devastated if this stupid vacation ruins my chances of getting a job.

3. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Jun 28, 2012

If the lady thinks you are a strong candidate, I'm sure they'll try and reschedule you. Fingers crossed.

I was in a similar boat when looking for my first job...I went away the first week in August with my bf to the Outer Banks...I never thought I'd still be looking for a job when I booked the trip. But it all worked out in the end. My dad called me if I had any phone calls and I just contacted Ps from my cell phone from NC. Good luck!!

4. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jun 28, 2012

I'm thinking you're in NJ..the market is tough...they will be able to schedule other candidates for the week you are away...you 'd be in the position when you come back to have to really rise above all the other candidates who were available...also, schools want to make a good and quick decision during the summer...not all the office staff are in, administrators take vacations, the board office who handles hiring paperwork might not be fully staffed all summer...all in all, you should hope for the best, but keep sending resumes out to every district within a reasonable commute as this one may not pan out given the NJ hiring climate and summer schedules...:sorry: It was probably a secretary who called you to schedule the interview...it's not up to her to decide who is a strong candidate or not. Hopefully she'll be able to get in touch with the hiring team and they will be able to accommodate you...good luck to you and enjoy your vacation.:love:

5. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Jun 28, 2012

Would it be possible to do a phone interview if necessary? As long as their timeline isn't by the end of next week, I don't think it would be a huge problem to have the interview the next Monday, (but again, I don't know their timeline or the interviewers). I did have an interview postponed once because they called me while I was on my honeymoon and wanted me to come in the next day. I explained why I couldn't make it, and the rescheduled me for the day after I got back. I ended up getting that job.

6. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Fanatic

Jun 28, 2012

Agreed

7. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Jun 28, 2012

I would hope that they would call you, but I wouldn't count on it. And when you return from vacation, I would definitely call them back to see when they can schedule you.

8. Jerseygirlteach

Jerseygirlteach Groupie

Jun 28, 2012

Thank you for the honesty. Well, that makes me really sad, but there's nothing I can do about it at this point. :(

9. BumbleB

BumbleB Habitué

Jun 28, 2012

I went on vacation last summer when I was job searching, and two different districts called to set up interviews while I was away. They usually prefaced by asking me "when are you available to interview?". I explained that I was out of town and told them when I was returning. I scheduled both interviews and there was no problem. They should understand that candidates don't just sit by the phone waiting for a call, we have lives. Any (understanding) district will have no problem with scheduling an interview when you are available.

P.S. Make sure that schools have your cell number. That is how I communicated with potential employers when I was away from home!

10. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Fanatic

Jun 28, 2012

But we also need to understand that there are plenty of exceptional candidates who are sitting by their phones who would be there the day of the phone call for an interview if contacted. Before I got my job I treated the job search like a job. I would not consider making myself unavailable during business hours because that is how much I wanted a job.

11. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Jun 28, 2012

I went to Europe last summer for two weeks. I got called for a couple interviews while I was there. Both told me to call when I was back in the US. I called them both back but only scheduled one interview. The other school had moved on.

12. Jerseygirlteach

Jerseygirlteach Groupie

Jun 28, 2012

After I finished school, I spent that entire first summer looking for a job. The one I found was an interim position so I was back on the job search the following summer. I did get a position that year, but in the end I was RIF'd so I spent another summer looking for a job. Now, I've been nonrenewed by a district who nonrenews non-tenured teachers and then leisurely takes the summer to decide who they want back.

I've worked for 3 years straight, pouring my heart and all my time into my teaching. I have two young kids who want and deserve time with their mother so I decided to go on vacation for a week with them because they're my job too.

Believe me, there aren't too many people walking around who want a teaching position for the fall more than I do. School districts may not care about my situation but please understand, I absolutely treat my job search like a job.

13. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jun 28, 2012

I don't know what the market is like where you live, Bumble, but here in NJ, there are literally hundreds of resumes for every opening. Schools can afford to set their own hiring timeline and can be very selective. Unless a candidate has specific needed qualifications/experience or some other compelling background on their resume, districts tend not to 'sit around all day' either when it comes to interviewing and hiring candidates...I hope for the OP's sake that the district is somewhat flexible.

Enjoy your trip, Jerseygirl...you and your kids do deserve this time. I've got my fingers crossed for you.:love:

14. donziejo

donziejo Devotee

Jun 28, 2012

School Districts know that teacher's go on vacations. School Districts are comprised of people that go on vacations themselves. I once got a call while I was in Big Lots and did an interview over the phone when I explained I was out of town. Your kids are only little once so you're right. The plans were already made so why ruin your vacation, mom's vacation, and children's vacations. Keep positive thoughts. There is every chance they will call back.

15. BumbleB

BumbleB Habitué

Jun 28, 2012

I understand the market is competitive. In fact, a recent opening in my district had over 600 applicants. I was just sharing my experience with the OP. I'm not saying that the district isn't free to move on, but in my experience, they have been accommodating. I would hope that the OP wouldn't take my experience (which is most likely the exception and not the rule) and use that as license to leave her cell phone in the hotel room or not check her email every day.

Just adding my two cents, not saying that what I experienced is what everyone experiences :)

16. Beverly

Beverly Comrade

Jun 28, 2012

I think that's interesting. In my experience, schools often give less than 3 days notice for an interview and rather than ask when I'm available they have essentially named the day they are holding interviews. I've even had one call for a same day interview (with probably an hour commute).

17. elateacher4life

elateacher4life Cohort

Jun 28, 2012

Enjoy your vacation and don't worry about the calls for interviews. If it is meant to be, it will be.

18. springmac

springmac Companion

Jun 29, 2012

Similar situation

I was in a similar situation two summers ago. I had subbed for this district for over a year. I was also in a highly competetive area (PA). The interview was to be with several of the elementary principals. When I explained that I would be on vacation with my family, they asked if I'd be willing to do a Skype interview. So, I took my laptop on vacation, locked everyone out of the house on interview day & had my skype inteveview while on vacation! If it was meant to be, it will work out. Oh...and I got the job I applied for. It was only a year long temp. job, but it paid full teacher salary,and got me the experience I needed for a perm. position. Good luck to you!

19. Milsey

Milsey Habitué

Jun 29, 2012

Maybe they could interview you via Skype. I have one set for next week using Skype. I guess I should dress up - even though I'll be at home lol