Do you think the paper is late?...

Discussion in 'General Education' started by njteachermcn, Oct 25, 2007.

1. njteachermcn

njteachermcn New Member

Oct 25, 2007

Hi. I'm new to this site and it looks pretty helpful and I have a question so here goes...

I'm a high school English teacher and my seniors have just handed in their senior papers worth 25% of the marking period's grade (all the seniors in our school must do this). I made the due date today. My students have told me that their other teachers let them hand things in through e-mail rather than bring a hard copy and have asked me a few times if I would allow them to do this as well. I finally made the class take a vote on it and almost all of them wanted to hand papers/essays in through e-mail. The senior paper was due today. I did not get an e-mail from one of my students with the paper (and I have repeatedly checked my inbox and have actually made this e-mail address just for my students so it would not get mixed in with my mail from family/friends,etc.). I have actually had this girl for 3 out of her 4 years of high school and she's never handed anything in late, always does her work, etc. I asked her about it and she swears she sent it. I usually have a zero tolerance policy with late work especially with essays and the senior paper is the most important essay of the year.
    I don't have much knowledge about e-mail but I thought whenever you sent an e-mail it would always go through? Is that not the case? Could there be a chance that she sent it and I didn't receive it? If it helps she had AOL e-mail and I have yahoo.

3. 3Sons

3Sons Enthusiast

Oct 25, 2007

There is always a possibility it doesn't go through. It's not particularly high, but it's possible. Ask students to return receipt their submissions. Email also sometimes gets delivered late.

Spam, junk mail, and virus filters are typically the reasons for this, but there can be cases of address resolution errors as well.

Also, the way a lot of people will interpret this is "at midnight of the due date". Don't be surprised if you get a flood of emails tonight.

Occasionally, attachments will not go through even though the email itself does. For safety, I would ask your students to send submissions as plain text attachments or in the body of the email, not as word doc attachments.

4. Beezus

Beezus Cohort

Oct 25, 2007

I think I would give her the benefit of doubt. I know that I have occasionally had people tell me that I did not get an email that I KNOW I sent.
    Also---my school email has occassionally done some whacky things.... a month or so ago, I had emails show up in my inbox that had been sent the DAY before!! (The date was noted to the side).
    Technology is great when it works! Frustrating when it doesn't.
    In view of the fact that she's not had issues before, I'd ask her to try re-sending it (AND bring in the hard copy tomorrow).

5. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Oct 25, 2007

Email doesn't always go through, no, and it doesn't always go through as timely as it ought.

Keep an eye on your email. If the paper arrives late because the email got delayed, the email should have a datestamp on it that will indicate the time of sending. (The unhandy thing is that the time may not be for your time zone.)

Another option, if you're using MS Word and your version supports this, is to open the document and look on the File menu under "Properties". This brings up a window with several tabs; you can use it to check, among other things, when the file was last saved.

Helpful hint: If you're grading a paper onscreen and inserting your comments in the file, first use Save As to rename it and save it in a different place, then work on your renamed copy so you still have the original. You could certainly save all the papers to the same folder, which you could name "Senior Paper 10-07" or something of the like.

6. Jarenko

Jarenko Companion

Oct 25, 2007

Aye. One of my professors right now allows email, but makes it quite clear when the deadline is.

In the case of our mid term it was noon last Monday. In the case of Wednesdays assignment, its due in email by the beginning of class.

:eek:

7. cmw

cmw Groupie

Oct 25, 2007

I'm taking grad classes & we had to email a paper to him b-c he cancelled class. He sent out a reminder for us to send them. Reason he did that was b-c his email address sent many of ours to his junk mail. One girl didn't find out he didn't get it until the next class. It wasn't her fault & she wasn't penalized.
    Also, maybe she types in a wrong letter. I have done that before. It goes through, but who knows who gets it!!!!! :woot:
    What I like to do is the email read option & I cc myself.

8. 3Sons

3Sons Enthusiast

Oct 25, 2007

While these are good suggestions that will catch 95% of attempts at deception, there are very sneaky ways to fake these things.

The MS Word properties one people can fake out by setting their system time back before saving (among other, more elaborate techniques).

For email datestamps, the techniques for falsifying are more hackeresque (and which, incidentally, can also be used to falsify not only the date, but also the sender. Fun for sending your friends emails from Santa Claus or the IRS).

9. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

Oct 26, 2007

I would also give her the benefit of the doubt, based on her track record of never turning things in late. But, this is a good reason why I would not let kids turn in major work via email. Give me the hard copy the day it is due. What is so difficult about printing out the copy and handing it in?

10. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

Oct 26, 2007

I recently had major communications breakdown with one of my daughter's teachers. I had emailed her and it kept being returned. And her emails were not reaching me. She showed me on her computer the dated emails - I did not ask her to, she just invited me to her computer to try to figur out what had happened. The result of the communication mess up could have been really bad, involving money and a class trip and other kids not being able to go because of the mix up.

11. lupin43

lupin43 Companion

Oct 26, 2007

Most e-mails keep copies of sent e-mails. Have her print a copy of the sent one. If she typed in your address wrong, you'd see it on the paper as well as when she sent it. BUT if you are okay just trusting her, I think that's fine because you know her background and it's clean. :)

12. cmw

cmw Groupie

Oct 26, 2007

Good idea!!!!:2up:

13. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

Oct 28, 2007

My email doesn't keep a copy of sent messages unless I ask it to.

14. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

Oct 28, 2007

So what did you end up doing?

15. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Oct 29, 2007

I'm curious too. Sending stuff in by email can be iffy. I recently had my mid-term for one of my grad classes not go through. The email and attachment went through fine, my instructor couldn't open it. At first I thought that it was because the document was in Word2007. No problem, just download a quick converter, save it, and resend it. I sent that test 5 different times and she couldn't open it.

16. 3Sons

3Sons Enthusiast

Oct 29, 2007

If she's faking, it will be quite easy to fake a sent email. It takes no special talent at all, unless you're talking about polling the mail server records (which, if you're really curious about, get her to print the email headers -- but you'll want a mail admin to verify how to tell her to do this and how to interpret it).

To really know, you'd need to check the mail records on the servers involved. Doing this will likely prove impractical unless you're lucky (like, if she mailed it from a school email account to your school email account). Other than that, most things can be faked, like send time and the sender address. I used to send my co-workers email from Santa Claus all the time.

Do NOT assume you know what technology will do or is capable of doing unless you fully understand it.

17. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Oct 29, 2007

Our senior papers are due November 1st and they alone are a graduation requirement in our school. We have VERY strict rules about turning it in. Even if you are sick, you still have to bring the essay in. Field Trip, co-op, whatever, you have to get it there on or before November 1 at 3:00pm.

Last year, a girl's mom called her English teacher and asked if the paper could be turned in late because she had the flu. The teacher refused because the students had plenty of time to work on the essay and she shouldn't have waited until the last minute. Well, that night (Halloween) she saw the girl coming through her neighborhood trick or treating! The teacher threw candy at the girl and said "You've got to be kidding me! You BETTER have that paper in tomorrow." Needless to say, she did, and no one trusted her mother's credibility for the rest of the year either.

Final thought - if the paper is that important, I would require a hard copy in a box by 3pm that day. Then you won't get the technical excuses. I tell my kids that they can email me as a LAST RESORT if they run out of ink or something. Otherwise, it is late.