Do you think schools are too obsessed with sports?

Discussion in 'Debate & Marathon Threads Archive' started by Peregrin5, Jul 30, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Jul 31, 2014

I think sometimes we also don't realize how big sports can be until we live there. I know nothing about cricket or rugby, but I'd love to see what it's like in areas that play those sports!

2. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Jul 31, 2014

3. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Jul 31, 2014

Having lived in those areas for a few weeks at a time, it's definitely a sport they enjoy, but it probably gets a following more comparable to golf or tennis (talking about cricket).

Rugby gets a much larger following (especially in New Zealand where they are fanatic about it).

4. Pashtun

Pashtun Fanatic

Jul 31, 2014

I am hugely naive on this topic, but can someone explain the effects of Finland's amazing education system on the world?

What is Finland's amazing minds providing for the world?

I don't mean this in a negative way, I am just not very familiar with anything that Finland is pioneering in the world.

They have almost no Nobel prize winners, are they able to put a satellite into space?

5. readingrules12

readingrules12 Aficionado

Jul 31, 2014

There has been a lot of research to look into why Finland's students are so successful--especially in reading. One thing I found interesting is that Finland watches very similar TV programs than students in the US and nearly the same amount of TV. Here is the difference. In Finland, they don't speak English as their main language, so nearly all the shows have subtitles in their language. Therefore the students are reading whenever they are watching television. If they watch 3 hours of TV a day (as an example), that is a whole lot of reading.

6. Pashtun

Pashtun Fanatic

Jul 31, 2014

My question is where is the effect of this super academic country?

Out of curiosity I looked up Nobel prize winners for Finland, they don't have many at all, can they put a satellite into space?

I am curious what their super human education system is really producing? Are they scoring high on some world standardized test?

7. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Jul 31, 2014

Idk about Finland but South Korea is considered so good because they score highest on the international test.

8. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Jul 31, 2014

Finland is part of the EU so their space efforts are coordinated almost entirely by the European Space Program. This probably has the effect of watering down any contribution to Space Exploration by Finnish scientists.

Also regarding the Nobel prizes, Finland doesn't have a very large population so it's only natural that their representation in the amount of Nobel prizes is limited.

For just a few highlights of the most acclaimed parts of the Finnish system, here: http://www.businessinsider.com/finlands-education-system-best-in-world-2012-11?op=1

I don't know if any of those characteristics are what actually make the Finnish system very good or not, but they are the most common arguments.

Among the obvious benefits, you have an extremely high population of students graduating High School, attending college or vocational schools, have an incredibly low educational gap between the extremes, and yes, high test scores.

9. Pashtun

Pashtun Fanatic

Jul 31, 2014

I think you are misunderstanding my question. You linked things that people think make their education system stronger or better.

I am asking for the results of this super education system. Again, I am naive on this subject, but I do not see much "product" of their education system.

Are they part of a driving force in certain fields due to their education system? Nobel prizes? Aerospace advancements, scientific progress?, literary contributions?..etc?

10. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Jul 31, 2014

Their poverty rate is far, far lower than the US.

Although I suspect that's the cause of their high-rankings on international tests, rather than an effect.

You've largely hit on one reason why I don't care much about scores on MC tests. The US has always been mediocre in such tests, and yet... look what the US has accomplished.

11. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Jul 31, 2014

Well one product is again the high percentage of college grads and the large number of scientists they send to work in universities around the world and in the European Space Programme, CERN, etc.

As for literary contributions, that's hard to say in a very English-centric country as we are in where we tend to focus only on books written in our own language.

Here is a list of popular Finnish authors if you are interested: https://www.goodreads.com/shelf/show/finnish-authors

I'd also like to point out that America itself is kind of low on the totem pole of space exploration lately and hasn't produced much of anything in the past few decades. Russia has accomplished much much more.

12. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Jul 31, 2014

I think it's hard to say what impact they've had in some ways. I would imagine just like any developed country, they have top people working. I don't judge success by awards necessarily. I've had some amazing teachers who didn't win a single award. You can make a huge difference on a much smaller scale.

I would judge success after university by employability. Are they employed in their fields? They're not unemployed or under-employed (two problems South Korea faces). Are they able to have a successful economy? How do people rate their own happiness? I may never win an award, but I would say I am well-employed and extremely happy with my life. It's what I wish for all my students.

13. a2z

a2z Virtuoso

Jul 31, 2014

The Linux kernel....

Nokia

Heart rate monitors

Electronics

14. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Jul 31, 2014

Did they really develop Linux? :eek:

15. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Jul 31, 2014

http://ec.europa.eu/digital-agenda/en/news/finland-fine-land-science

"Over the past decade, Finland has built one of the strongest research and development sectors in Europe, and today consistently ranks among the continent's top innovators. Finnish companies such as Nokia and game developer Rovio are big names in their respective fields, while Finnish universities and research institutes regularly produce groundbreaking results: a team at the University of Eastern Finland recently announced the discovery of a vaccine that may eliminate allergies, for example, while another group at Aalto University said they have found a way to make optical displays out of water and thin air. "

Holy carp! I could really use that allergy vaccine.

16. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Jul 31, 2014

Add 'Angry Birds' to that list. One of the most important innovations of the century! :angel:

17. Pashtun

Pashtun Fanatic

Jul 31, 2014

Ty, a2z.

18. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Jul 31, 2014

I think more importantly, they produce happy people! I have family from Finland, and who visit occasionally, and the people there are all apparently just very content and happy.

19. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Jul 31, 2014

I was not involved in school sports but was heavily involved in a sport not connected to school. I'm not a huge sports fan but am married to a coach. Teachers have gone to my husband to get help with a student who is failing or a discipline problem. I'm not sure what percentage of athletes are successful in school because of athletics, but I know it's more than one student. I know of one of my husband's players who is only attending college because of his scholarship. The player's family wanted the boy to drop out of high school and work at their auto shop two years ago. The dad only relented when the son said he wanted to play sports. I don't know what will happen to this boy when his family doesn't value a high school education, much less a college education, but at least he is getting a chance at something other than the life his parents were going to tie him to. Hearing stories like this one, and I've heard many others, have made me appreciate sports in schools more than I had before. I still think some places go overboard, but I've come to see another side of sports since dating and marrying my honey.

20. greendream

greendream Cohort

Aug 1, 2014

No, I don't think we're too sports-obsessed. At the very least, we're not worse than most countries, who are known to be a wee bit passionate about soccer.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.