Do you think its silly.....

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by TiffanyL, Aug 10, 2010.

1. TiffanyL

TiffanyL Cohort

Aug 10, 2010

that I'm decorating my office to look more like a classroom??

I've struggled with my office this year. Its quite large (like a small conference room). It has a large conference table in the middle of it with very nice black leather chairs. There is a lot of wall space and two windows. The existing wallpaper is dark blue pinstripe.

Its been difficult to decorate as the wallpaper is a bit outdated. I've really struggled with making it reflect who I am as a person. I'd like to pull the wallpaper off but there is just not much time.

I wanted a very large whiteboard (classroom size) on one of the walls as I plan to track the academic progress of some of our focus students on this board.

The other wall has a large bulletin board (also classroom size). I plan to use this board to track the progress of our behavior students. I want them to set goals as a team (I meet with the entire at-risk behavior population twice per week) and graph our progress (only 20 referrals this month, etc.).

I have a long counter space under the window. It is full of my most special, moral read-alouds. So as I look around, I've realized that the best theme is really just classic classroom (deep blues, some mahogany reds, black trims, etc.)

Do you think this is silly? Most P's have very sophisticated offices or very cluttered offices, etc. I want a very functional office that is interactive for the students I work with. I put welcome posters on my office door. I put bulletin board trim around my white board and bulletin board.

I really like it....and finally feel like it is coming together. I am new to this site, however, and teachers don't know me or my style well. I don't want the teachers to show back up and think I'm completely crazy and not ready for this position. :lol:

3. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Aug 10, 2010

I think it's great, Tiffany! You are working with the students there, so it IS a classroom! My mom always had really nice, inspiration posters in her office-it was a nice mix like yours sounds to be!

4. TiffanyL

TiffanyL Cohort

Aug 10, 2010

Thanks Jem! I'm really liking it but I guess I'll always be a teacher at heart.

If I get handy, I'll try to post some pics like you do....then you guys can the actual room and offer me some suggestions.

:)

5. Bumble

Bumble Groupie

Aug 10, 2010

I would LOVE it if our principal decorated his office like that. I think it promotes a welcoming environment. It is not silly at all!

6. eddygirl

eddygirl Companion

Aug 10, 2010

Sounds like you're creating a more welcoming environment than the traditional administrative office. I think that's a great idea, especially since you are new to your school. I imagine your teachers will feel more comfortable coming in to speak with you if they join you at a table versus meeting over a desk. When I created my student activities office a few years back, I specifically added a small conference table for meeting with colleagues and students. Over the years, the walls have become filled with posters, photos, and newspaper clippings reflecting the great things we do here. I even keep a bowl of candy on the conference table for "drop-ins" who just stop by to say "hello." If your goal is a warm and inviting space, it sounds like you're on the right track.

7. TiffanyL

TiffanyL Cohort

Aug 10, 2010

Thanks everyone,

I had a round conference table in my office last year. I loved it and despised sitting at a desk!! I took that out (the desk) within the first two months.

The majority of my time is spent in deep conversation...whether that be with a student, a teacher, a parent, etc.

Sitting at a desk while I had these conversations just seemed so dictator-like and did not help to open the lines of communication.

Conference tables in admin offices are so much better.

Oh, and I love the idea of having a glass jar of candy!

8. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Aug 11, 2010

I love ALL these ideas, and you absolutely KNOW you are awesome, Tiffany! I certainly do. You are not off your rocker at all.

The round table works great, and I really like the bulletin board concept, yet you do not want it visible to everyone. How are you going to display it?

9. ecsmom

ecsmom Habitué

Aug 11, 2010

I also wondered about the tracking boards. I assume you would code the the students and not have names displayed. Please post photos when you are finished. I would love to see it.

10. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 11, 2010

Having a principal who is a teacher at heart is every teacher's dream!!!

It sounds wonderful Tiffany!

11. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Aug 11, 2010

I think it will make the teachers and students who come in feel right at home. It also shows you really care about the space to take the time to be creative with it.

Sounds great Tiffany!:thumb:

12. TiffanyL

TiffanyL Cohort

Aug 11, 2010

For the academic, magnetic white board, I plan to take one of those rolled up magnet strips and cut it into small rectangles. I'll then stick a label with the student's ID # on the front. My secretary will print out a master code sheet for me that I'll keep tucked in my office somewhere (telling me name and ID #'s). I plan to grid the board according to basic, proficient, advanced, etc. As we take our benchmarks, those focus kids will hopefully move towards proficiency.

For the behavior board, I'm just going to have the behavior kids set goals as a team. For instance, we currently have a high amount of referrals/suspensions. So, I meet with the toughest of the tough twice per week as a group/class. My hope is that I can inspire them to analyze why they misbehave, maybe olders will start to encourage youngers, etc. We can set some goals such as "reduce referrals/suspensions by 10%" or something more simplistic. The graph will be printed at the end of the week or month (not sure yet) but will contain whole-group results, no names. I'll speak with them individually at other times of the day (like when they get a referral :lol:)

13. Marci07

Marci07 Devotee

Aug 11, 2010

I love your idea Tiffany. :)

14. wvteach

wvteach Rookie

Aug 11, 2010

I so love that you are doing this!!! You are a breath of fresh air. I hope your teachers know how fortunate they are. If you have any space left how about framing some student artwork?!? You can buy amazing frames that you can use to replace artwork frequently!!!

15. TiffanyL

TiffanyL Cohort

Aug 11, 2010

Oooh, I love that idea! Student framed art would be a perfect addition.