Do you think it's okay to bring this up in an interview?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by Mathemagician, May 2, 2012.

1. Mathemagician

Mathemagician Groupie

May 2, 2012

So I went against everyone's advice and turned down a job offer. The district just didn't seem like a place where I would be particularly happy, and so, I figured why work somewhere if I won't really like it.
    In any event, I've had 5 other interviews this week and I have 3 scheduled for next week. Going crazy keeping track of these...

Anyway, I have an interview with a school that I really like, and one of my old high school teachers now teaches at that school now. Do you think it's okay to bring that up casually? She was one of the reasons I wanted to become a teacher, and so, if I mention her name when I am explaining why I wanted to become a teacher, do you think that is okay to do or is name-dropping like that generally frowned upon?

3. UCLACareerChngr

UCLACareerChngr Comrade

May 2, 2012

I think it's okay to bring it up in conversation, especially if you're doing that to draw a comparison as to why you want to be a teacher. I'm sure your former teacher is great, however, you never know about personalities, etc, so keep in mind that there's a chance that your interviewer won't like your former teacher, so bringing her up might not help...but as long as it doesn't come off like you're fishing for any connection I think it's fine.

4. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

May 2, 2012

I think that if she is one of your reasons for teaching high school and they ask that question, I would bring it up. If you are just name dropping, I wouldn't.

5. stampin'teacher

stampin'teacher Cohort

May 2, 2012

:agreed:

6. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

May 2, 2012

Exactly what I was thinking. :)