Do you think it's ok to ask parents??

Discussion in 'General Education' started by hac711, May 14, 2010.

1. hac711

hac711 Companion

May 14, 2010

At the beginning of the year, we sent out a request that each child was to bring in a box of tissues for the classroom. We are all out!!! We (apparently) used 45 boxes of tissues this year!! Now it being allergy season, the boys are out and I am giving them those hard, non-absorbing brown paper towels :woot:(owww!!) We go to school until July, so you think it is appropriate for me to send a notice home for more tissues? Or is that nervy? I would just buy them myself, but I literally have 20 bucks until the end of the month, and getting $$ from the admin is like getting blood from a stone...
    any suggestions??

3. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

May 14, 2010

Yes, it's okay.

If someone is able and willing, they will send in the much-needed tissues. Of course, I say this, but I'm also supplying the brown paper towels because we are nearly out for the summer and I have little faith that anyone would contribute. I don't feel bad...I've used an entire roll myself. With my allergies-turned-infection, I need something that durable!

4. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

May 14, 2010

If you were closer I would give you some of mine!

I have SO many boxes, and we only have 6 weeks of school left!! I think when parents find out their children are using paper towels, they will be more than happy to send a box of tissue to school!

5. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

May 14, 2010

I would. My students' parents are always willing to help if we run out of essentials. I just send home a note asking for donations.

6. scmom

scmom Enthusiast

May 14, 2010

Yup, I ask parents all the time for tissue, disinfectant wipes for the tables (if you are allowed to use them) and hand sanitizer. Parents want to keep kids healthy.

7. VANewbie

VANewbie Devotee

May 14, 2010

I ask for stuff all the time. I do not buy anything like that for my class.

8. monsieurteacher

monsieurteacher Aficionado

May 14, 2010

I've done it too. Not a problem.

9. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

May 14, 2010

I'd ask parents too.

10. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

May 14, 2010

My kids' teachers ask from time to time. It's not a problem. And most parents are incredibly aware that it's been a brutal allergy season.

As a parent, I would have no issues with the request.

11. jen12

jen12 Devotee

May 14, 2010

Just explain that it was a bad cold season and its a really bad allergy season. I don't think most parents would have an issue with providing a $2 box of tissues.

12. Joyful!

Joyful! Habitué

May 14, 2010

Is it against school policy to ask for contributions?

Do you have a room mom who can drum up some donations?

Personally, I would ask.

13. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

May 14, 2010

Go ahead and ask. As a parent, I'd have no issues sending in an extra box. Kids go through tissues like mad. My family's current tissue disposal rate is approximately .87526/box per day :D And I only have three kids, not 30

14. Blue

Blue Aficionado

May 14, 2010

I have often sent in such items per my GS's teacher's request. I think that he had to take in 3 boxes of tissue at the begining of the year. You might consider upping the request next fall.

15. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

May 14, 2010

I always ask for Clorox wipes. We wipe down our desks every other day, so we go through quite a few wipes. I normally have two or three (sometimes more) parents send in a big container of wipes each month.

I ran out of tissue this month and the office said that they weren't going to order any boxes until August. I went to the 99 cent store and picked up a few big boxes to get us through the next three weeks of school.

During state testing earlier this month, I asked parents to donate healthy snacks for us to enjoy each day after testing. Many parents brought in graham crackers, Goldfish crackers, fruit snacks, carrots & ranch dressing, etc.

I used to buy EVERYTHING myself (out of my own pocket), but now I don't have an issue with asking parents for help!

16. Muttling

Muttling Devotee

May 15, 2010

Nothing wrong with it at all, just make sure to acknowledge and be thankful of what they've already done.

I would start the letter acknowledging their generosity at the beginning of the year and how your students have appreciated it, but not wasted it.

I would come up with an estimate of how many you need to make it to the end of the year and say we need a few more as it's been a bad cold & allergy season.

17. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

May 15, 2010

I would-I ask for donations often in my newsletters: napkins, Ziploc bags, etc. Parents are always willing to donate.