Do you think it's fair?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by tchr4evr, Sep 26, 2011.

1. tchr4evr

tchr4evr Companion

Sep 26, 2011

I had two students come to me to day for an ear to listen to them. They are both taking journalism, which does our yearbook. Both these students are seniors, and both submitted proposals to be editor of the yearbook. Our journalism teacher has told students many times that if they want to work on the yearbook, they must be in the class. He announced today that he has appointed another student as editor. First of all, the student hasn't been in journalism since he was a sophomore (he's also a senior). He attends our local governor's school, so he leaves the building everyday at 12, and doesn't get done with rehearsals until 6:00. Then, he has his other classwork to complete. The students cannot access the yearbook from home, and our journalism teacher clocks out at 3:00 everyday. They think it's unfair, and I have to agree. I know the student in question, and while he is a very nice, bright kid, he is not the most organized, nor is he the most motivated young man. He loves theatre, and that's what he does, and he's good at it. He was only in journalism to begin with because his girlfriend at the time was in it.

I suggested the kids talk to the teacher first, and find out if there were other reasons. Then, if they still feel he is being unfair, they should talk to the principal.

I definitely think the teacher's being completely unfair, and both of these students would be better editors, in my opinion.

3. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Sep 26, 2011

I would have told the students to speak to their teacher as well. Out of your hands, as you know.

Now, my opinion is that it seems the young man will struggle to live up to an editor's responsibilities and I wonder why he was chosen. I'd like to think there was thought behind the decision, though. :)

4. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Sep 26, 2011

I think that, as so often happens with high school kids, you got only one side of the story.

I'm willing to gamble that the teacher's side makes at least as much sense as the kids'.

5. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

Sep 26, 2011

I agree with Alice and I would have told the students what JustMe suggested. One of the first lessons and longest lasting lessons I learned my second year of teaching was not to get involved in students feelings about teachers being "fair."