Do you think I got the job? Crazy situation

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by ksnooz7, Jun 8, 2013.

1. ksnooz7

ksnooz7 Rookie

Jun 8, 2013

I went through a second interview about a week ago. I'm teaching right now in a district that's an hour and twenty minutes away and the job I want is much closer to home. Anyway, as I was teaching yesterday, Friday, I heard my phone buzz in the closet. When i checked the message it was the principal of the School saying please give him call. I tried calling as soon as I could and his secretary said he was not available and directed me to his voicemail. I tried to reach him once more but he was gone for the weekend. So my question is, what is the liklihood that it was a job offer versus a job rejection in your opinion? The other teaching jobs I've gotten have been phone calls. THe one rejection I got was by letter. I'll know for sure soon ,,, but going crazy right now,,,, any thoughts?:dizzy:

3. Cicero

Cicero Companion

Jun 8, 2013

I had this happen to me last summer. I was in class when I got a call from a principal with a voicemail asking me to return his call. I was frantic all day and tried unsuccessfully get in touch with him. I ended up emailing just saying that I received his message and that we seem to be missing eachother. The email I got back was kindly explaining they went with another candidate.

I too was so under the impression at that time that call meant job and email meant rejection. It was just his style as a principal that he felt it was important to call and touch base personally.

I hope that you got it though! :) Just try to stop thinking about it (I know that's hard) til next week. Maybe try an email if you would feel comfortable? Looking back, I am thinking that was probably an annoying move from me.

4. ksnooz7

ksnooz7 Rookie

Jun 8, 2013

thanks

Great advice, I'm going to try and put it out of my mind. It's hard to though. I guess I'll know sooner than later. I'll let you! Thanks for your response.

5. teachart

teachart Comrade

Jun 8, 2013

I hope you got the job!

I am currently interviewing with a district and I have my 3rd (4th if you count the phone interview with the Principal) interview on Monday. So they could be asking if you could come in for another round.

Crossing my fingers for you!

6. ECE ABC

ECE ABC Comrade

Jun 8, 2013

It sounds positive to me. Only because anytime I got ''the call'' it was always a job offer or a request for an interview which led to an offer right after the interview. Fingers crossed for you xx

Good Luck :)

7. ksnooz7

ksnooz7 Rookie

Jun 8, 2013

I meant to say "I'll let you know"

8. ksnooz7

ksnooz7 Rookie

Jun 8, 2013

Thinking if it was a positive he might've left some indication in the message. Like I have a question for you? simple enough, but ok, i gotta stop thinking about it. Yikes

9. MissD59

MissD59 Comrade

Jun 8, 2013

We can't really tell you whether or not we think that you got the job, we don't have enough information. Around here, the hiring process tends to be much longer. If you told me that the principal was calling you after a second interview, I'd think that he'd be inving you back for a third :)

It seems to be personal preference as to whether or not a principal will notify candidates of a rejection via phone. I've had principals email me or send me a letter to let me know that they went with another candidate, but I've also had a principal call me up to deliver the rejection as well.

I'm afraid all you can do right now is focus on something else this weekend until Monday rolls around and you can get in touch with him. Think positive thoughts! I'll cross my fingers for you. :2up:

10. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jun 8, 2013

With the exception of a screening interview, I've gotten phone calls for all of my rejections except one. The other one mailed me a formal letter with an invitation to sub :)rolleyes:)
    I have gotten one voice mail rejection.

So, it is really hard to predict one way or another!

11. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

Jun 8, 2013

All of my rejections have just left voice mails if they chose to call...I think it's kind of mean to ask someone to call back and get their hopes up only to tell them they were rejected! I would automatically assume I got the job if they asked me to call back. That's what happened with the two jobs I was offered this year.

12. Rhesus

Rhesus Comrade

Jun 8, 2013

Agreed. The person making the rejection call would be relieved to have the chance to leave a rejection voicemail rather than have to tell it to you "live." Wanting you to call back is probably a good sign.

13. Jerseygirlteach

Jerseygirlteach Groupie

Jun 8, 2013

Well, I've never gotten a phone call rejection. Heck, I've considered myself lucky if I got a form letter rejection a month after they said they'd make a decision by.

Last year, the same thing happened to me although, thankfully, not on a Friday so I only lost one sleepless night. And I did get the job. :)

I don't want to build up your hopes too high. It could be a job offer. It could also be a rejection or just a call to ask you a question about your application or a heads up that they'll be calling your references. I do agree, though, that if it was a rejection, they'd probably just leave it on your voicemail so I'm hoping you get good news on Monday!

14. ksnooz7

ksnooz7 Rookie

Jun 8, 2013

voicemail and other

Okay, good point. So how many of you have ever been either rejected or accepted by voicemail? As far as another round, I was told that a final decision was the next step as they had to have a name to bring to the board by June, 19 and the second interview was the final step. Yes, I know, Monday is almost here.

15. ksnooz7

ksnooz7 Rookie

Jun 8, 2013

And thanks all for your input. wow this board is great.

16. Milsey

Milsey Habitué

Jun 8, 2013

You got it. Start shopping now!

17. MzQualified

MzQualified Comrade

Jun 8, 2013

I think waterfall is right. I would leave a message if it were a rejection, not asking you to call me back for me to tell you that you were rejected.

So, I think it had to be an offer or God forbid an invite for a 3rd meeting!!!

Let us know as soon as you find out on Monday. I can't wait. Excited for you!

18. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Jun 8, 2013

I have never gotten a phone call rejection. Fingers and toes crossed! Keep us posted!

19. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jun 8, 2013

It sounds like a good sign to me! In my experience, I've never gotten a phone call telling me I wasn't hired. They'd either send a letter, email, or not contact back at all.

20. Rainbowbird

Rainbowbird Groupie

Jun 8, 2013

I did receive a vm once from a principal asking me to call back, and it was indeed a rejection. He was just very nice and wanted to tell me personally that I was the #2 choice and they went with a sub who had worked there before.

But there is no way to tell if this is the case with you. Just no way at all. I would simply put it out if your mind and enjoy your weekend. If it was meant to be, it will be. I know that is cliche but if turning 46 has taught me anything, it is that you must make the most of every moment and do not spend it in fruitless worrying. If you don't get this job, the right one will come along sooner or later!

21. ksnooz7

ksnooz7 Rookie

Jun 8, 2013

I just had the best day ever spent with my son at a picnic with friends at the park. Awesome local band dancing and laughing and Rainbow bird, you are so right. I'll let you all know on Monday and I am fine either way! Life is good.

22. Portulaca

Portulaca Rookie

Jun 9, 2013

I've gotten a voicemail requesting that I call back which did, in fact, turn out to be a rejection. I am sure they considered it to be the classy way to go, and maybe it was. Still, it was definitely awkward, because (1) I may have sounded a bit over-eager because I was expecting an offer, which subsequently made me feel a little embarrassed, and (2) the secretary making the phone call was rather curt and brusque (I assume out of awkwardness)...that probably wouldn't have been noticeable, except that she'd been extremely nice and motherly to me while I was waiting to interview, so it stung a bit! Anyway, though, I hope YOUR news is great. :)

23. cheeryteacher

cheeryteacher Enthusiast

Jun 9, 2013

I'll keep my fingers crossed for you! Hopefully it's a job offer!

I have never gotten a rejection by phone. I've either never heard from them again or gotten a letter in the mail- but then again I've only had two rejections so I don't really have a lot of data to go by.

24. TeachTN

TeachTN Comrade

Jun 10, 2013

Were you able to get in touch with the principal today?

25. OhThePlaces

OhThePlaces Cohort

Jun 10, 2013

I hope you were able to get in touch today! :)

26. ksnooz7

ksnooz7 Rookie

Jun 10, 2013

I called again this morning. The secretary told me he was out and about because they were having an indoor field day (driving rain all day). I can imagine it was very busy for him. He didn't call at all the rest of the day. So I still don't know. I feel more pessimistic about it though. I'm thinking if it was a positive he'd just tell his secretary to let me know the good news. I'm thinking he wants to personally give me the bad news, and thus the wait. Unfortunately it's like torture because it's taking forever. Also, I'm thinking that if it were a positive he'd need to start moving on it because next week is the board meeting (June, 19). Hopefully, tomorrow, I find out either way. I would be a bit disappointed but it would at least be over. I'll definitely post here as soon as I find out either way.

27. TeachTN

TeachTN Comrade

Jun 10, 2013

Oh mercy... I feel your pain; I am waiting, rather impatiently, for a district to have its board meeting next week to approve their budget so hopefully the school will offer me a position. Waiting is T-O-U-G-H!! I'm glad my summer classes started so I am busy with that.

28. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Jun 10, 2013

:hugs: waiting is torture. It's hard for those of us pulling for you to be patient, so I can only imagine how much worse it is for you! I remember those feelings well.

29. ksnooz7

ksnooz7 Rookie

Jun 11, 2013

Still no word. I didn't even call again today. I'm so sure it's a negative and now I'm almost glad. I'm not impressed with this guys way of doing things. It's so inconsiderate.

30. teachart

teachart Comrade

Jun 11, 2013

Don't give up just yet - call again tomorrow morning! In the mean time, keep applying to everything you see :)

31. doodle70

doodle70 Companion

Jun 11, 2013

I would think if it was bad he would have just sent an email or left a voice mail. I'd rather tell someone no thanks by voice mail than keep playing phone tag!

32. MzQualified

MzQualified Comrade

Jun 11, 2013

Aww, why didn't you call today?

33. ksnooz7

ksnooz7 Rookie

Jun 11, 2013

MzQualified, I figured I've already left two voicemail messages for him to give me a call when he had a moment. Do you think I should keep calling?

34. MzQualified

MzQualified Comrade

Jun 11, 2013

Awww...yea, I forgot about that part. Well, you didn't call today so I would try again maybe tomorrow afternoon.

After that then just leave it be.

35. AdamnJakesMommy

AdamnJakesMommy Habitué

Jun 11, 2013

:hugs:
    I wouldn't. At least for a couple of days. If you got the job, they will contact you again. I would probably call back in a week if I still hadn't heard anything. If you get no response after that, I wouldn't bother again.

I had one school that offered me a job hound me. I ended up not taking the job. When they have their candidate, they will contact him/her.

36. ksnooz7

ksnooz7 Rookie

Jun 15, 2013

Just an update if anyone's still wondering. I never called again after the two initial voicemails I left. Here's what I'm left with in case anyone else out there runs into a similar situation:

I'm not angry about not getting the job. I'm angry with how the rejection was handled by the principal. Advice to all potential principals out there: be a good person. He called me and told me to call him back on a Friday afternoon. I call him 2 times. Leave messages on Friday and again on Monday. Think I may have the job, slowly come to the realization that I didn't get the job. Feel embarrassment and uncertainty in my attempts to make contact with him (even though I was told to call him and that he wanted to speak with me). And then I get angry because he made me jump through all of this for naught.:mad:
    I was a final round candidate (one of two). Many hours of preparation. A new suit. A day and half of missed work. And I didn't even ask for a personal phone call. But I also didn't expect to be put through an emotional wringer. So ultimately I'm kind of glad in a way -- I'm pretty sure I wouldn't want to work with this dude if he's okay with this approach to people. So I'm now ready to get on with the search and can leave this unpleasantness behind!:love:

37. Rainbowbird

Rainbowbird Groupie

Jun 15, 2013

I'm sorry, that really stinks. You hear this over and over again. Being busy is no excuse.if a candidate makes it that far, they should get a phone call or an immediate letter. I'm sorry that this happened to you.

38. Jerseygirlteach

Jerseygirlteach Groupie

Jun 15, 2013

I'm sorry this happened to you. I completely agree that being busy is not an excuse. It takes less than a minute to draft an email saying thanks but no thanks. Or better yet, have the secretary do it. We tell kids to treat others how we would want to be treated. I am sure this principal wouldn't want to be treated that way. Unfortunately, treating non-selected candifates like this seems to have become the norm.

39. LouiseB

LouiseB Cohort

Jun 15, 2013

I believe that all candidates that interview should be contacted one way or another whether they are chosen or not. In this day and age, they don't have to draft a letter but can just send an email or voice mail if they want. I totally understand that a "Thanks but no thanks" cannot be sent to all who apply but those who interview. Can't be that many people involved.

40. AlexaD

AlexaD Companion

Jun 15, 2013

I'm sorry you were treated that way. What makes it worse is that he left a message and asked you to call him back, getting your hopes up. Then he just left you hanging to "get the hint." Very unprofessional and just not a decent way to treat anyone who spent time interviewing at his school. Again, very sorry, and I hope something much better comes up for you!

41. ECE ABC

ECE ABC Comrade

Jun 15, 2013

Sorry that happened to you :(

It stinks when you are WAITING for people to follow through and do the right thing--believe me I am playing the ''waiting game'' myself. Don't feel embarrassed AT ALL he told you to call him and you did, nothing embarrassing about that. He handled himself poorly, no reflection on you at all.

Keep looking, the absolute right job is out there waiting for you :)