Do you think I can pull this off?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Sarge, Jan 7, 2020.

1. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

Jan 7, 2020

At my new position, I teach 4 sections of 7th grade ELA and one 7th grade social science. My students are mostly advanced. But it's an art school so they are all over the map and I have a few on IEP's and 504's, but no worse than other places I've taught.

I get two hours of prep in the middle of each day plus half an hour for lunch, all in one block between 3rd and 7th periods. Contract time is from 8:00 to 3:35

Between the prep time, an hour after school, and two 50 minute train rides (Amtrak, with wifi), do you think I can get all my prep and grading done without having to actually do work at home?

3. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Jan 7, 2020

Weren't you a fellow vice principal?

mrsf70 likes this.
  4. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jan 7, 2020

I'm sure you can; that's a good chunk of time. Stagger due dates so you'll only have one class set of an assignment to grade at a time.

Congrats on the new position--it's nice to see you back!

5. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Jan 7, 2020

I teach four sections of 8th ELA and one 8th reading. I get one 65 minute planning period and a 20 minute lunch. I don’t take work home. It’s definitely doable.

6. sevenplus

sevenplus Connoisseur

Jan 7, 2020

I would give anything for 2 1/2 hours on the middle of the school day. Elementary is a different beast entirely.

Staggering due dates is a great idea.

It sounds doable to me, especially if you are able to avoid distractions.

Tired Teacher likes this.
  7. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Jan 8, 2020

[​IMG]

8. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

Jan 8, 2020

I was. Didn’t work out. VERY long story.

9. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Jan 8, 2020

Yes. I teach six different classes, with 4 preps, only get 50 minutes of planning/meeting/conference a day, plus a 30 minutes lunch, and rarely bring work home. It takes super organization, but I get it all done. I usually stay an hour or so late one day each week.

10. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Jan 8, 2020

To answer your actual question, I'm at a small school where I'm the ONLY ELA TEACHER with three tiers of four grade levels. If we were a larger school, I'd be toast. However, I usually have under 100 students at any given time (did I mention my students work independently and at their individual pace, so my roster constantly changes?). Because of this, my hour before classes and a second hour at the end of the day keep me from taking work home 99% of the time.

11. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

Jan 8, 2020

Distractions are a problem. I have ADHD but I just got back on my meds.

All of the middle school academic teachers have the same prep periods. That's a blessing and also a distraction as well. Everyone crowds into the staff/work room during that time.

The school is in downtown Oakland, so there are a lot of places I can go hide if I need to.

Tired Teacher likes this.
  12. April Jackson

April Jackson New Member

Jan 10, 2020

It is most definitely possible. Mostly you only need good time management and perseverance. Limit the interruptions doing your planning time and multi-task. Someone once told me "As educators we are our harshest critic, but if we take a step back we accomplish the impossible every day."

13. greendream

greendream Cohort

Jan 10, 2020

Hard question for us to answer. Are you task-oriented? Do you usually stay on top of grading, or let it pile up?