Do you think eating together is important?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by TennisPlayer, Jun 3, 2009.

1. TennisPlayer

TennisPlayer Cohort

Jun 3, 2009

I think it's important to be able to eat and talk about your day, but somedays we aren't able to because of fluctuating work schedules. It makes it hard to predict when to have dinner ready or if I should just eat by myself. I got mad last night because I had to pick up DH at the bus at 10:45pm...super long day + warm weather + past bed time = cranky :yawn:.

3. dizzykates

dizzykates Habitué

Jun 3, 2009

I think it's very important!! My husband and I eat together every night. It is the rare exception that we don't. We discuss before work what time we will be home and call if something changes. I have meals planned out so we know we have everything for the meal and it's easy to put together. If one of us needs a snack we have it, but not so much we ruin our appetite.

May I ask why your husband got home so late? Is that normal? Perhaps you could have breakfast together instead? Or a snack in the evening? My husband has become much better about calling and coming home on time. I use to get frantic calls about missing the bus, needing to be picked up across town because he had to stay late. Amazingly he figured out what to do so that stopped happening bc is really bugged me and he realized it was very inconvenient when I was trying to prepare a nice meal. Now occassionally he drives to a different stop so he has more options to get home.

4. ~mrs.m~

~mrs.m~ Comrade

Jun 3, 2009

It's certainly nice to do so!

5. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Jun 3, 2009

My DH and I make it a point to sit down at the dinner table and eat together. I am usually home before he is, but we take turns going to the market, cooking, etc. No real schedule for this, it just works out. I know what time to expect him and he calls if he is going to be late.

6. blindteacher

blindteacher Cohort

Jun 3, 2009

Yes I like to eat dinner together as a family. I never really got this experience as a child so it means a lot to me to be able to do it with my wife and son.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2009
  7. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jun 3, 2009

We always eat together. It might not always be around the dinner table, but we do eat together.

8. cMcD

cMcD Groupie

Jun 3, 2009

We eat together almost every night. However, that will probably change in the fall when the bf goes back to get his masters...

9. TennisPlayer

TennisPlayer Cohort

Jun 3, 2009

May I ask why your husband got home so late? Is that normal? Perhaps you could have breakfast together instead? Or a snack in the evening?
    --------------------------

Well, he took this new job back in the Fall and it's the type of work where you're not done just because it's "5:00pm" as an example. He has several projects to do all at once and he's the only person doing the job so it's very time consuming. Thankfully he tried really hard to leave earlier tonight. I'm happy if we eat before 8pm. That's relaxing to me, because we have had after 9pm dinners just so I could eat with him! Sometimes I don't have much of an appetite when I'm by myself for some reason. I'll snack, but I don't feel like a big meal by myself. Maybe it's the warm weather.

10. MissWull

MissWull Cohort

Jun 3, 2009

Yes. My husband and I also enjoy cooking together, he makes the main dish and I make the sides and help him out if he needs it. But it's the time where we catch up on our days (whatever we didn't talk about on the phone throughout the day). I love that time together.

11. chemteach55

chemteach55 Connoisseur

Jun 4, 2009

We eat together when we can but with 3 teenagers going 3 different ways it is difficult at best. Often my husband & I eat sitting on the sofa watching the news and talking. The kids straggle in and out. They know I try to have dinner hot and ready between 5:00-6:00.

12. Rebel1

Rebel1 Connoisseur

Jun 4, 2009

BIG time!
    While the kids were young, we did it and it wasn't every day BUT we tried to do so. It is the time to discuss about how the kid's school stuff was going, how our individual and family goals are being met, and simply just to relax and BOND as a family. Later on with the kids' baseball, basketball, volleyball and everything else in the sport world, IT was hard to do it.
    While your kids are young, DO IT, regardless of who wants it or not. It is a very important time in a young family's life.
    IT IS WORTH THE TIME AND EFFORT!

Rebel1

13. melnm

melnm Companion

Jun 4, 2009

We do eat together, especially now that we have kids. And I make sure the TV is turned off. It's important to sit together and converse without other distractions.

I've read about these studies that kids that eat dinner with their parents do better in school, etc. And, while I think that's just one thing of many parents need to do, I feel it is an important one.

Apparently it made an impression on my son. For Mother's Day his preschool teacher wrote some things down that she had asked him about (for a gift, it was framed with a pic from him). One of the things he said was he liked eating dinner together and talking with his family. That really made me realize how important it is!

14. Dzenna

Dzenna Groupie

Jun 4, 2009

:thumb: I can't agree more. It is the hardest, but the most important thing a family can do.

15. Ranchwife

Ranchwife Companion

Jun 4, 2009

My husband and I come from families that have always sat down to eat dinner together, so naturally, our family does it also. We adjust dinner times based on schedules and activities as need be, but we always sit down and eat dinner together. There is no TV in the kitchen, so there are no interuptions in our meal times. We've been married for almost 9 years and I can count the times on one hand that my husband and I haven't eaten dinner together due to conflicting schedules (both home, but some farming issue prevented him from leaving the field for a long time). I love eating with my family and eating dinner together is a non-negotiable "rule" in our house.

16. knitter63

knitter63 Groupie

Jun 4, 2009

I believe it is very important. My family did it when we I was a child, and so did my husband's. Even as teenagers, we did. When my husband and I had our son, we made it a point to eat dinner together. We still do it to this day. We also have a "big" Sunday dinner too that is very special to me. I really love to cook,and we invite our bachelor friend to join us every Sunday. We look forward to it!

17. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jun 4, 2009

I don't have a husband yet, but I definitely think eating together is important. It's the chance to unwind, enjoy good food, & communicate w/ each other.

But, so far, when my SO, who visits a lot, comes over, we've gotten into this habit of eating in front of the TV ALL THE TIME...unless we're at a restaurant.

18. Rabbitt

Rabbitt Connoisseur

Jun 4, 2009

A notice a HUGE difference in my sons' behaviors when we do not eat at our table together. It's routine and when routine is broke, they do not know how to act.

Not only is it family time, it teaches them proper eating behaviors. We can go to restaurants with little trouble.

We start our family dinner with prayer and then each one tells one good and one bad thing that happened that day. It's brought on topics that we may not otherwise discuss. This week it's been tornados, strange dogs, Ronald McDonald House, counting how many mornings without getting ready for school, mohawks, and window screens :)

19. sue35

sue35 Habitué

Jun 4, 2009

I am going to be different and say that it doesn't matter as much as people think it does, based on my own experience. I always ate with my mom and brother growing up, but never with my dad. He ate watching tv in a different room, because he worked long hours and wanted to chill out. It didn't effect me at all. I still am just as close to him as my mother.

So I think it is important to not eat totally alone, as a family I think it is not the end all be all.

20. Major

Major Connoisseur

Jun 4, 2009

We eat together most of the time. I think it is important........

Maybe on the weekend during football season it's ...... ever so slightly .... less important........:lol::lol:

21. sue35

sue35 Habitué

Jun 4, 2009

If it was Notre Dame football gametime we weren't allowed to talk to my dad all day, much less at a mealtime:)

22. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Jun 4, 2009

We do eat together and we will wait for each other for a bit but not that late. If we are hungry, we go ahead and eat. We have been married 14 years and we have plenty of nights to eat together so missing that moment here and there isn't worth the fuss.

23. Major

Major Connoisseur

Jun 4, 2009

Perfectly understandable Sue........ Guys are a different species... especially during football season.....:hugs:

24. kimrandy1

kimrandy1 Enthusiast

Jun 5, 2009

I think it is important in most cases - however, if you have to wait until almost 11 PM, it's probably not feasible to eat together at night. My own family used to do breakfast together many days instead of dinner...it was easier to get us all together in the morning than at night, with 3 teenagers in sports, band, with jobs, etc.
    Kim

25. scholarteacher

scholarteacher Connoisseur

Jun 5, 2009

My daughter is almost 30, and we had a long talk the other day. She said she hates that we didn't get to sit down and eat together more than we did. Thing was, when my ex wasn't out running around somewhere (know what I mean?), he worked really weird hours, and the little time he was home, he was a grouch. So yeah, eat together all you can, whether it's supper or whatever. Play board games and watch movies. They will remember this stuff more than what they got on birthdays, etc.

26. JenPooh

JenPooh Virtuoso

Jun 5, 2009

Considering I work in the evening, I am not home to eat dinner with my family. However, we do eat as a family when I have off on any random night and on the weekends. My husband also eats with our children while I am at work. So, we have a family dinner almost every night, I'm just not always there since I am at work. We talk a lot. I don't like sitting at the table quietly. I like to converse with my family about the day and random things. It's a nice bonding time. Yes, I do think it's important.

27. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Jun 5, 2009

We always ate together when I was growing up. I really liked having a family meal at home every night. My parents and I were always interested in different things, and the meal time always got us all together.

DH and I don't usually eat together, but we often cook together. We don't actually like the same types of foods, but we both like to cook. We enjoy cooking together, but we rarely eat at the exact same time. Of course, we are also together a lot of the time at home other times, too.

If we had children I would want to have a scheduled meal time and all eat together.