Do you think dual certification is a good idea?

Discussion in 'Special Education' started by teacher girl, Sep 6, 2012.

1. teacher girl

teacher girl Comrade

Sep 6, 2012

I am going into special education, and people keep telling me to get certified in something in general ed too... do you think that is a wise choice? DId you do it? If you did, than why did you do it?

3. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Sep 6, 2012

If you have the time and interest in getting certified in more than area, I don't see how it could hurt.

4. Bored of Ed

Bored of Ed Enthusiast

Sep 6, 2012

I did it because it was just that easy, there were so many overlapping requirements that it just made sense to get both at once. Can't hurt.

5. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Sep 6, 2012

I'm not special ed certified, but I'm certified in both general education and music education. It was definitely worth it for me. I was just able to keep a job at my school (which I love) by moving to the music position. If I hadn't been certified in music, I would have had to move to a different school. I think there are only benefits in being certified in more than one area, as long as you have the money and time to complete both certifications.

6. imanashhole

imanashhole Companion

Sep 6, 2012

Yes, especially if it's only a few more credits. I got my masters in Early/Elementary Education. It was 6 more credits than the individual programs.

7. bros

bros Phenom

Sep 7, 2012

Dual cert is required in NJ

Edit: for special education majors

8. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Sep 7, 2012

Many schools will not even consider you unless you have multiple certifications.

9. Mellz Bellz

Mellz Bellz Comrade

Sep 7, 2012

I'm dually certified because I really didn't have a choice. The elementary ed program at the college I attended incoporates a dual certification. That being said I'm very glad to have both certifications in K-6 and Special Ed. It makes you more marketable. Plus if you wind up in Gen Ed you are bound to have Special Ed kids in your classes so it'll help being familair with IEP's and things of that nature. Likewise if you wind up in Special Ed it's nice to have that content knowledge that way if you wind up in a co-teaching situation you are comfortable with the material being taught.

10. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Sep 8, 2012

Most states require special education teachers to be dual certified or at least close to it. You have to show competency in the subject areas that you will be teaching. If it's not too much extra, you might as well go for it.

11. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Sep 8, 2012

I am dual certified in elementary gen ed and sped, as my graduate program incorporated. I've now held positions in both areas, and I felt that having the knowledge and experience of both was extremely beneficial. It's also comforting to know that I have multiple options if my position is ever cut.

12. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

Sep 8, 2012

:thumb:
    That's what I was going to say. Knowing the "other side" has given me an advantage both as a sped teacher and a gen ed teacher.

13. DriveFly44

DriveFly44 Rookie

Sep 8, 2012

I'm going to get the dual certification along with single subject math.

14. BumbleB

BumbleB Habitué

Sep 8, 2012

I'm looking into getting dual certified in SPED and gen ed. I love teaching SPED now, but I worry about burn out. I would like to have another option in case I get overwhelmed. As someone else mentioned, the job security would be nice, as well.

15. chasisaac

chasisaac Comrade

Sep 8, 2012

I would suggest that you get as many certs as you can. The more the merrier.

Most states require it and it is usually one test away or just a few classes.

16. MissPapa

MissPapa Comrade

Sep 9, 2012

In New York, you HAVE to pass both a gen ed (they have different types of contant specialty tests for gen ed) and special ed content specialty test on top of that to become a special ed teacher. You'll definitely be dual certified. Dual certification is great, it's definitely a safety net.

17. kmeteach

kmeteach Companion

Sep 11, 2012

It's definitely opened up many doors for me. Lots of schools are looking for people who have dual certification. I was hired for my current job and last job because I was dual certified (both positions were in special ed classes). I think you should go for it, it could really help in the long run!

18. jamoehope

jamoehope Companion

Sep 22, 2012

I think it would be helpful. I think I might I have had an easier time staying in teaching positions if I was dual certified because I could work in more positions. However, I feel a bit negative right now towards how stable teaching as a career can be, so I also personally don't look forward to more loans to pay for more school. But if you can afford it and you are a great teacher and you're working in a stable area where teachers are easily getting tenure, then go for it! :)