do you think 37 is too old as first time teacher

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by tripletsteacher, Mar 8, 2007.

1. DaveF

DaveF Companion

Dec 30, 2007

I'm a 44 year old male in my 1st year of teaching. I think that age and maturity actually makes you more employable.

2. MissWull

MissWull Cohort

Jan 1, 2008

I don't think this is true. There are plenty of teachers in my program that are over the age of 35. Also, teaching isn't like advertising, sales, or jobs like that where the company wants the employees young and good-looking if thats what you're thinking about. I think as long as you're a great teacher and you show that to your potential employers than you have as good a shot as anybody. I also think that if a person is older they've had more experience with life, kids and families...so they may be able to be on a different level with parents and kids that a younger teacher will not be able to achieve right away...not at all putting younger teachers down because I am only 25! :) But I don't have kids and there are some things that I don't see the same way that the older teachers with kids do. Just my :2cents:!

3. kidatheart

kidatheart Habitué

Jan 2, 2008

I am 38 - I graduated with degree and license in hand back in 91!!! I looked for a teaching job while working in day cares, subbing, etc. until 96 with no luck. At that point, I needed to start making some money so I took a job outside of the industry. Now I'm back. Last year I worked as an instructional aide. This year I am an inclusion teacher at a different school.
    One change I made was to go back to school part time for my masters in special ed - I think that helped me to find my current job.
    Also, many people talk about looking outside of their immediate area - that's what I did. I drive 45-60 minutes to work each morning which is tough, but I have a job and am very thankful for it!!!

4. iSaint

iSaint Rookie

Jan 2, 2008

Just saw this thread. Great to see so many 'old' peeps here! :) I'm 45 and in my second year of teaching. I'd wanted to teach for years, so I went back to school to get certified through an alternate route. I completed a Masters of Arts in Teaching through this program.

5. Christinak6

Christinak6 Rookie

Jan 4, 2008

I'm turning 32 soon and will be looking for my first real FT teaching job (if there's one available) after 4.5 years of havings kids and subbing. I'm ready for some change and am willing to go for it.
    Even though age shouldn't be the determining factor on who should get the job, having life experiences such as having kids or changing careers is such a bonus for someone who wants to teach.

If you want to teach, go for it! I don't care how old you are because kids can really be great when they want to be! :up:

6. mommyre

mommyre Comrade

Jan 4, 2008

WOW, I hope you are wrong. About 1/2 of the students in my program are 30+. I will be 30 in March. I certainly think we have MORE to offer with life experience. Good Luck! :)

7. anewstart101

anewstart101 Cohort

Jan 5, 2008

I'm 33. . .will be finished in May with my credential. I already have a job lined up!!!!!
    This thread makes me feel hopeful.

8. katrinkakat

katrinkakat Connoisseur

Jan 7, 2008

No, no, no! I started teaching Head Start at age 37 and this is my first year teaching elementary and I just turned 50. I was hired on the spot I like to think for my maturity and professionalism. :)

9. Alice9248

Alice9248 Rookie

Jan 9, 2008

My daughter's first grade teacher is almost 50 and it's her first year!! She is AWESOME!!! Calmer, more easy going, and no problem she'll leave on maternity needs.