Do you test on Fridays?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by AZMrs.S, Oct 2, 2012.

1. AZMrs.S

AZMrs.S Cohort

Oct 2, 2012

I am wondering if you generally give certain assessments on Fridays. At our school most of the classes give some sort of reading assessment on Friday. The way our curriculum is set up it dictates a five day schedule. We start the new skills and story Monday, practice all week then assess on Fridays. It has been mentioned that our admin is wanting us not to be testing on Fridays. Nothing is official now, but its really not sitting well with me... What do you think?

3. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Oct 2, 2012

I normally test on Thursdays. I find that more students are present in class on Thursdays than on Fridays, so it's easier for me as far as fewer make-ups and whatnot.

4. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Oct 2, 2012

When we do a weekly reading story, the test is on Friday.

For spelling, we do the pretest on Friday and test on Thursdays. My kiddos who need a few extra days to practice can work on their words over the weekend.

What is the rationale for not testing on Fridays? Other than absences, it would seem odd--then you would be starting new material on Fridays, which I don't think would be idea...

5. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Oct 2, 2012

It depends on what day the end of the unit falls on. Some days it works to where the test is on Friday, but it can be any day of the week. That's for the math inclusion class I'm in. In English, it's normally Fridays for Eng II.

6. AHS_Fan

AHS_Fan Rookie

Oct 2, 2012

We're only allowed to do graded assessments on Fridays. And since we're departmentalized, students can only have 2 assessments per week, which pretty much means you have to plan out all of your assessments at the beginning of each quarter.

7. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Oct 2, 2012

I loved the setup at one elementary school where I worked. In the whole school, math tests were Tuesdays, science and social studies were on Wednesdays, Spelling and ELA were Thursday, and Friday was reading. Friday morning, after the reading test, students would do standardized test prep. After testing, that time became a time to enrich the material learned. In the afternoon, all the classes of a grade level would meet in one room. They would watch a movie tied to the curriculum in some way. The teachers would take turns watching students in that room, watching students in the behavior room, and watching students in the work room, where students who had been absent or fallen behind for whatever reason could complete work and get tutoring on skills they needed help with. It worked really well for that school, but I can see how it wouldn't work for all schools.

8. Rabbitt

Rabbitt Connoisseur

Oct 2, 2012

Reading we begin on Monday and test on Friday.

Spelling final test on Wednesday as well as the pretest Wednesday.

Any math, science, or social studies assessments I land on Tuesday or Thursday.

9. jennifer_jacobs

jennifer_jacobs New Member

Oct 2, 2012

Fridays are the most logical day for assessments/testing. Of course it's not all about testing. You should be asking your students during your lessons to assess their understanding and integrate assessment into your teaching process and their active learning. It should be an ongoing things not to be in the dark all week then find out if they were learning anything on Friday.

10. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Oct 2, 2012

I test every 2 weeks, on a day with full periods.

There's no one particular day of the week I choose.

11. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Oct 2, 2012

Spelling tests on Fridays in my room...other tests are on random days. Other formative assessments are ongoing and pretty much daily.

12. HistTchr

HistTchr Habitué

Oct 2, 2012

I don't have a set day when I give tests, but I often do give them on Fridays.

13. ACardAttack

ACardAttack Companion

Oct 2, 2012

I test or quiz on Fridays. My kids know to expect it and study all week...and it makes my Fridays easier, I work with a tough group of kids, so it is nice to get a small "break"

14. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Oct 2, 2012

Spelling test each Friday. We give a language arts or math Common Formative Assessment each Friday, too.

15. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Virtuoso

Oct 2, 2012

Most of our common assessments for the district have been on a Friday. This year we had the option to do it whenever during a certain week. We did ours on Thursday. My grade-level partner and I give a quiz every Monday.

16. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Oct 2, 2012

I test when we finish the chapter and I feel like the majority of the students (who have put forth effort) are ready to test. It doesn't matter what day of the week it is for me.

17. ChemTeachBHS

ChemTeachBHS Comrade

Oct 2, 2012

It depends on when we finish the chapter. I try to avoid Mondays if possible though.

18. readingrules12

readingrules12 Aficionado

Oct 2, 2012

I normally test on Thursdays. I find that more students are present in class on Thursdays than on Fridays, so it's easier for me as far as fewer make-ups and whatnot.

I agree with Caesar. I like giving tests on Thursdays more than Fridays. However, I do give the Vocabulary test each week on Friday. When we do standardized tests, we do test on Fridays, but the test time is shorter than the other days of the week.

19. bondo

bondo Cohort

Oct 2, 2012

Reading is the only assessment on Friday. I do not give tests on Monday and try hard to not test on Tuesday. Most of tests are on Wednesday and Thursday. The students take tests first thing in the morning.

20. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Oct 2, 2012

Why is that?

I work with a few teachers that say they never test on Mondays. They claim that students do not do as well on the tests and that they don't want to "ruin weekends" for the parents.

I don't really understand that mentality though. I always enjoyed having a couple of extra days to study for a test and by the time I was in high school, my studying didn't impact my parents' lives at all. If we were going on a long trip somewhere, I studied in the car. If we weren't doing much of anything, studying gave me an excuse to avoid yardwork on Saturday ;)

I also don't understand the grade part of it. Does that mean that you (general you) only care if the kids learn the material for that test? If they can't remember it over a weekend then they don't really know it, do they?

It doesn't work out that I have tests on Monday but sometimes it does. I go with where we are in the material. I've never noticed any drastic difference in grades no matter what day of the week they are given.

21. queenie

queenie Groupie

Oct 2, 2012

When we first got our new Reading curriculum (like 5 or 6 years ago), we were told it would be best to run our stories/plans on a five day schedule and just have all the tests on whatever day the fifth day happened to fall on. The problem with that (imo) is that it's so much easier for the kids and parents if they know that the tests are going to be on Fridays. So I give Spelling tests, Language quizzes, Math Fadcts Quizzes, and Reading tests on Fridays. Math tests come whenever it's time for them =)

22. thirdgradebuzz

thirdgradebuzz Comrade

Oct 2, 2012

I give reading tests on Mondays. They are cold reads, so no studying is necessary. Then we focus on skills the rest of the week.

Generally I give science tests on Thursdays when the unit ends and do an experiment and/or short video the Friday after to introduce the next topic. It makes Fridays a little more fun.

23. AZMrs.S

AZMrs.S Cohort

Oct 2, 2012

Thank you for all the feedback! I'm not sure what the reasoning is behind it yet as my P just sort of mentioned it to me in passing the morning. I think they are still figuring out it it would work. We all do formative assessments all week long and even smaller summative ones. We just do the main summative test for reading only. All of the other subjects are more when the units finish and the tests are on random days. It just makes the most sense to me to do the reading on Friday. Otherwise we are starting new material in the middle of the week and I feel like it could get confusing for the kids having two different sets of skills presented during the same week.... I think that unless the admin can give us a really good reason, we are going to really stand up for what we've already been doing.

24. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Oct 2, 2012

I don't think that there is anything wrong with testing on Fridays (I would try not to test Friday afternoon...).

However, I have run week long units Thursday to Wednesday and give all the end of week assessments on Wednesdays before. It helped with allowing families the weekend to really process and work on the skills. So many families just don't have time during the week! So basically, what you would normally teach Monday was my Thursday, etc.

25. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Oct 2, 2012

I don't give 'regular weekly' tests. I test at the end of each unit. I just avoid Monday at all costs!

26. AZMrs.S

AZMrs.S Cohort

Oct 2, 2012

I can see moving days around to test on a different day. But I think the admin doesn't like having a "test day" or something... Of course if they make us move our tests we will still have a test day, it just won't be Friday :rolleyes: also we don't have a lot of parent involvement so I doubt having time to work on skills over the weekend would really make much of a difference.

27. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Oct 3, 2012

I can see their issue. It's HARD to prep a 7 year old for a battery of tests each Friday. It would be so much easier if they were spread out during the week.

28. knitter63

knitter63 Groupie

Oct 3, 2012

I test on any day of the week. Our state tests are given on a Monday, and a Friday. I try not to give all of my tests on the same day, though! It depends on when chapters are done.

29. AZMrs.S

AZMrs.S Cohort

Oct 3, 2012

That makes sense, but we all pretty much just do a reading test on Friday. All of the other subjects we test throughout the week. I try really hard to make sure my kids don't have a math and reading test on the same day!:)

30. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

Oct 3, 2012

I do reading and spelling tests on Fridays. Our reading units are a week long, so it just makes sense to do Friday. I can't imagine doing spelling any other day than Friday since they wouldn't have time to study for the whole week.

Math tests and social studies tests are based on when the unit ends. They're different length units, so it doesn't make sense to stretch stuff out just so the test can be on a Friday. Occasionally these tests happen to land on a Friday, but not always.

31. Irissa

Irissa Cohort

Oct 4, 2012

I give a 3 day notice on all tests and test whatever day of the week. I do test spelling on fridays always.

32. BradleyStacks

BradleyStacks Rookie

Oct 4, 2012

In our school test are ready conducted on Fridays. Students must be reminded though about the tests.

33. Ranchwife

Ranchwife Companion

Oct 5, 2012

Vocabulary quizzes each Friday unless the kids just got a new list and haven't had time to learn the words. Big tests tend to be mid week.