Do you teach....

Discussion in 'Fifth Grade' started by mstnteacherlady, May 28, 2008.

1. mstnteacherlady

mstnteacherlady Cohort

May 28, 2008

handwriting in 5th grade? Do you do anything with handwriting? I know that at our school, the 5th grade teachers do not. I ended up teaching a little bit of handwriting last year because I wanted to be able to read my students writing, but no one else does. The other teachers do not because it "wastes instructional time." They watch a lot of videos during instructional time, so I'm guessing that would be the time wasted.

I think I really want to map out some sort of schedule and take a few minutes a day to actually teach handwriting. I think the students need to know how to write...even if we are going toward a computer-geared life sometime down the road. blah.

So, my questions are:
    Do you teach handwriting?
    If so, how do you teach it?
    And...do you think it's beneficial to teach handwriting in 5th grade?

3. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

May 28, 2008

I haven't taught 5th, but I have subbed for 5th and many times the teachers would leave handwriting for the kids to do. If I can't read the handwriting, I certainly would find time to teach it.

4. Amers

Amers Cohort

May 28, 2008

We don't teach handwriting at my school in fifth, but I kind of wish we did. They learn cursive in 3rd, but the teachers don't have enough time to really teach it, so.....by the time they get to me, the kids have some very "creative" cursive.

5. shasha379

shasha379 Devotee

May 28, 2008

I fit it in the first few weeks of school. It's not in our curriculum, but I've had so many kids that could not write in cursive. I usually assign it for homework the first couple of days.

6. Amers

Amers Cohort

May 28, 2008

shasha, do you use worksheets? How do you teach it?

7. shasha379

shasha379 Devotee

May 28, 2008

I have a class set of the cursive alphabet that I have laminated. I also pull out the old tan handwriting paper. I have the students write the alphabet once just to determine who needs the practice and who doesn't. You can, however, get practice sheets online.
    http://abcteach.com/directory/basics/handwriting/dn_style_font/cursive/ Here's one I've used before.

8. loves2teach

loves2teach Enthusiast

May 31, 2008

I have been told not to- also because it is a "waste of time". Our lower teachers do a pretty good job here with handwriting though- very few of my kids have problems w/ handwriting.

9. mstnteacherlady

mstnteacherlady Cohort

May 31, 2008

That's my thing. My kids last year had awful handwriting. They only teach it in 1st and 2nd grade at our school. I won't grade an assignment I can't read. My students know that much. Sometimes they'll try to write the correct way the first time, but there are some who rewrite and rewrite and rewrite. If I can't read the paper, I give it back and it has to be rewritten by the end of the day it was due or it's counted as late. Maybe I'm mean, but had it been done correctly in the first place, it would have been on time.

10. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

May 31, 2008

At our school, they teach handwriting in the primary grades. By the time they get to fifth grade, the emphasis is more on the writing content itself. But, if I have a student who has lousy handwriting, then I will send home a cursive writing packet.

11. noreenk

noreenk Cohort

Jun 3, 2008

Part of my weekly spelling homework was a cursive writing practice. Kids at my school aren't typically taught cursive in any grade, so my kids were psyched to do cursive worksheets as an activity once they finished their classwork.

12. cMcD

cMcD Groupie

Jun 3, 2008

We don't teach handwriting at my school (at least in 4-5) because there is no grade given for handwriting on report cards. It's kind of a dying art since most people type nowadays...

13. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Jun 4, 2008

Same here. I don't teach it now. I tired for a couple years, but it seemed like a waste. The kids know how to write neatly; they choose not to write neatly. I know this is true because a) their previous teachers are usually surprised when I show them how Jonny is writing in 5th grade and b) when I make them do the work over the writing improves. Also, when I did teach it I had kids getting rebellious and acting insulted that I would be reteaching this. Now I just have some worksheets and tracing stencils for those who need the extra reminders.

14. Picabo

Picabo Rookie

Jun 19, 2008

I do a refresher on handwriting at the beginning of the year, as the children will be working on handwriting at a literacy workstation throughout the year.

I make new handwriting worksheets each week that are content-related. For example, one week, all of the handwriting worksheets had to do with divisibility rules. Other weeks, I pulled concepts from science and social studies.

I use the handwriting worksheet generator at abcteach.com. While it's not the children's MOST favorite workstation, they were troopers and did a good job.

15. 100%Canadian

100%Canadian Companion

Jun 22, 2008

I find the Ontario curriculum too demanding to fit it in. However, since they're already getting practise in the primary grades, I don't see the need to devote class time to practising either. I just insist that they write in cursive for everything. Improvement comes with practise so why not integrate it with all other forms of writing in your program?