Do you teach with your door open?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by DrivingPigeon, Sep 8, 2013.

?

Do you team with your door open?

1. Yes, I choose to keep my door open.

20 vote(s)
    32.8%
  2. Yes, we HAVE to keep our doors open.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. No, I choose to close my door.

17 vote(s)
    27.9%
  4. No, we HAVE to keep our doors closed.

24 vote(s)
    39.3%
  1. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Sep 8, 2013

I think we're supposed to keep our doors closed (more for heating efficiency in winter), but I almost always have my door open for the following reasons:

-Lately the temperature has been in the upper 80's, and it gets really stuffy when the door is closed.
    -The humidity causes the door to stick. The kids can't get it open.
    -I have teachers and kids coming in and out of my classroom all day for various SPED services.

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Sep 8, 2013

I prefer to have my door open but our security plan now requires we keep doors closed.

4. thirdgradebuzz

thirdgradebuzz Comrade

Sep 8, 2013

Closed and locked at all times is required, here.

5. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Sep 8, 2013

I cannot teach with the door open. I am very easily distracted by the constant noise (I've always been in high traffic areas such as right next to bathrooms), and the kids are as well. I also get a more comfy vibe with the door closed.

6. monsieurteacher

monsieurteacher Aficionado

Sep 8, 2013

I like the door open, but if it gets too noisy, I'll close it.

7. LouiseB

LouiseB Cohort

Sep 8, 2013

My door is closed. Too noisy from the teacher down the hall who leaves their door open.

8. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Sep 8, 2013

Like monsieurteacher, I prefer to have my door open. If my class is engaged in a noisy activity, or there is a lot of noise outside of the classroom, I'll close the door.

(Right now, of course, the window beside by door hasn't been installed yet, so closing my door is pointless).

9. cheeryteacher

cheeryteacher Enthusiast

Sep 8, 2013

We are required to keep our door closed. I hear that we are supposed to keep them locked, but I'm not sure about that one. I transferred from a different school in the district and it wasn't mandated there.

10. Mr D

Mr D Comrade

Sep 8, 2013

I generally prefer to leave it open, but close it when either we are doing something loud or there is other noise from someone else that is distracting for us.

11. Rabbitt

Rabbitt Connoisseur

Sep 8, 2013

Ditto! I dislike it. Anyone and everyone has to knock to get in which interrupts. I especially dislike it interrupting my Daily5 mini lessons as they are only 7-10 minutes.

It also feels like a jail. I understand the increased need for safety and that it can happen anywhere. I just don't feel like living in a bubble is the solution.

12. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Sep 8, 2013

I like mine open.

13. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Sep 8, 2013

None of the options apply to me.

I open my door sometimes. Other times I don't. I really don't like being closed in, but at certain times of the day there s too much hallway noise. Certain classes are more easily distracted, too.

My classroom is near the assistant principal, an office, the library, the fountain, and the main stairwell.

14. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Sep 8, 2013

That's happened to me more than once! My entire class got stuck in the room at dismissal. Our AP had to come rescue us by taking the door off the hinges. The parents were getting a little worried. It was crazy then, but thinking back on it makes me :lol:.

15. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Sep 8, 2013

I teach in a trailer, so I don't have a choice about door open or closed. It's always closed. Back when I was in a building I kept my door closed because it's hard for ME to focus with the distractions in the hall.

16. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

Sep 8, 2013

My room is by the bathroom. The noise of the hand dryer drives me bananas so I keep my door closed. There's also a rather loud teacher close to my room and she leaves her door open and I'd rather not my students nor I have to hear her so that's the other reason.

17. iteachbx

iteachbx Enthusiast

Sep 8, 2013

I keep it open mostly. It has an automatic lock I just have to press a button on the side of the door and close it and its locked for emergencies.

18. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Sep 8, 2013

We have a small window on our doors so people can look in at any time. There's no reason to keep it open and it would be distracting in lots of ways.

19. kab164

kab164 Companion

Sep 8, 2013

Our doors must be locked, most people have theirs open but they will be locked when pulled shut. Some teachers will keep a magnet in the doorway so if a student closes the door when they leave to go to the bathroom, it doesn't completely latch and then people don't have to knock. My last school everybody taught with closed doors and that was before all the school shootings so they weren't locked.

20. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Sep 8, 2013

We teach in portables, and mine is next to the street.
    I open it sometimes because it's too cold in the room, but then a lot of times I end up closing it, or don't even open it because the students get distracted from the noise coming from the street. (Admin. to probation is right across, so if anyone is getting arrested they see it. That's always more interesting than the most exciting lesson).

We're being video recorded anyways, and my P has all the classrooms live footage on her computer, and she does watch it during the day when she has time.

So whether my door is closed or open, it makes no difference and it only depends on the temperature :)

21. HistTchr

HistTchr Habitué

Sep 8, 2013

I have always kept mine open (but in the locked position so it locks when closed). I only close it when I'm showing a video or doing something else that might be distracting to other people i the hallway.

22. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Sep 8, 2013

I'm high school,, but I'll chime in any way. (big shock, huh??)

I teach with my door open unless either one of my neighbors or I are doing something noisy enough to be disruptive.

23. monsieurteacher

monsieurteacher Aficionado

Sep 8, 2013

I missed the word "by" in your post the first time I read it... I was shocked that your school would be so hard up for space that you needed to teach in the bathroom!

:rofl:

24. RadiantBerg

RadiantBerg Cohort

Sep 8, 2013

Not only do we have to keep it closed, but locked as well! This is particularly annoying when kids leave to go to the bathroom and we have to open it for them.

25. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Sep 8, 2013

I marked closed because we have to. It's suppose to be locked to. Most of us don't do that. I have a door stop, but it's so hard to use that most days I don't bother with it.

26. mkbren88

mkbren88 Cohort

Sep 8, 2013

At my old school, I always had my door open and prefer it that way. At my current school, my door is always closed as it opens to the outside. It's a pain when I have people in and out multiple times a day but we are used to it now.

27. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Sep 8, 2013

I would much rather have the door closed. I hate the notion that teaching with the door closed means you're "hiding something." I find noise from the hallway or other noise from other teachers with their doors open to be very distracting. To me, it just makes sense to have the door closed. Everyone at my new school teaches with the door open. I hope closing mine is not seen as rude or something.

Last year we had to have them closed and locked. Having it locked drove me nuts! Someone had to get up or I had to interrupt teaching every time someone was at the door, which was often. I tried to train the kids to leave it just a tiny bit loose when they left for the bathroom so they could just come back in, but only about 50% of them actually did that.

28. Jerseygirlteach

Jerseygirlteach Groupie

Sep 8, 2013

I'd give anything for a door! :( My "classroom" is an open space. If I had a door, I'd keep it open whenever possible, but it would be shut if we were doing something particularly noisy, I would shut it.

29. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Sep 8, 2013

What kind of open space are you in? Just out of curiosity. Is it one of those open classrooms where all the teachers are separated by room dividers, or are you in a hallway or something?

30. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Sep 8, 2013

I used to keep my door open until I moved to a room across from the restroom. The noise and the odors keep the door closed.

31. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Sep 8, 2013

My room is too noisy to keep the door open. I'm right in-between several other classrooms and it's already loud enough with the doors closed!

32. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Sep 8, 2013

I keep it closed. Everyone does in my building. My classroom is directly across from the student bathrooms, so the noise from that would really bug me.

I'm not hidden from the world - there is a window in my door and a long window in one of my walls so that people walking by in the hallway can see into my room. I have no problem with that. I have nothing to hide - but noise from the hallway would bother me if I kept the door open.

33. kellzy

kellzy Comrade

Sep 8, 2013

It used to be a personal choice, but after Sandy Hook the district changed and required us to keep our doors shut and locked at all times.
    I don't lock mine, it's far too annoying to have kids knocking on the door trying to get back in.
    Before it was a requirement, I usually shut my door anyway. I get easily distracted, so it's easier for me to focus with my door closed.

34. geoteacher

geoteacher Habitué

Sep 8, 2013

Mine is usually closed, but it was open last week - the only way to get some air flow!

35. HistoryVA

HistoryVA Devotee

Sep 8, 2013

Students will wander into your classroom if you keep the door open at my school! They'll just be walking down the hall and pop in "hey, what's up?" Um... teaching. Go away. :p

I also keep it closed/locked so that if someone comes to class tardy, they have to stand there until I feel like letting them in or tell them to go get a pass.

36. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Sep 8, 2013

I am not an elementary teacher, but I'll chime in anyway.

When my classroom was inside the building, my door was always closed and locked.

Now that I'm out in a portable, things are a little different. One of my doors is always closed and locked. The other one is often closed but not locked. It locks automatically, but it doesn't close all the way (tight/sticky frame) unless you pull really hard on it. We just leave it most of the time. Sometimes, especially during very nice weather, I prop my door/s open to get some fresh air in the room. There are safety concerns in doing this, of course. Generally I feel safe because the location of my portable is so peculiar. It's far outside the main building, much nearer to the athletic fields, so I don't feel like any intruder would spend a lot of time in that area. Also, there is a huge, wide-open, very long walkway to my portable--you can see people coming from a mile away. If I got a bad vibe from anyone, I think I would have plenty of time to close and lock the doors.

37. myKroom

myKroom Habitué

Sep 8, 2013

The fire marshal steals our door stops!!! :( I'm glad my doors stay open on their own now. Technically, we are supposed to have them closed.

I used to like having my door open, but our new building echos really bad so we can hear EVERYTHING! I close my door for the noise control outside.

38. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Sep 8, 2013

I would love to keep it open all the time but the teacher across the hall from me does too and I feel like we might bother her class. So it's normally closed.

39. Jerseygirlteach

Jerseygirlteach Groupie

Sep 8, 2013

I sometimes tell people I teach in the hallway, lol. But yes, my space is separated by room dividers and furniture. Almost everyone else in my building has a more contained space with at least one real wall, windows, etc. but I'm fairly new and unlucky. I love my job but my "room" is difficult. Imagine teaching special education children in a space with no walls and things constantly going on in the hallways. It's not easy.

40. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Sep 8, 2013

Us, too.

41. OhThePlaces

OhThePlaces Cohort

Sep 9, 2013

This. We even have someone who walks around in the morning and jiggles the door knobs to check. If it's unlocked, she locks it!