Do you teach with your door open or closed?

Discussion in 'Debate & Marathon Threads Archive' started by greendream, Oct 3, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Oct 3, 2012

I leave it open most of the time, but I'm near the music classes, so sometimes it is too noisy to have it open. Also, this year I have a student with cochlear implants and I have to close the door too reduce the background noises.

2. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Oct 3, 2012

It depends. I feel like my classroom is loud so I keep the door shut so I don't disturb other classes.

3. BumbleB

BumbleB Habitué

Oct 3, 2012

I leave it open most of the time, but if it's too noisy in the hallway, I'll close it. It's ALWAYS open in the early fall and late spring though, because we don't have air conditioning and need to create a breeze! :)

4. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Oct 3, 2012

Our doors are also fire doors. They are to suppose be shut at all times. I prop it open any time we are entering or leaving the room. If I'm the only one in the room it's usually open, but not always.

Like others have said, even though it's suppose to be quiet in the hallways, sometimes a class is loud walking by. Plus I'm right by the bathroom & when a child or 2 is sent, I will hear them if the door is open.

5. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

Oct 3, 2012

For me the door is closed 100% of the time. It just makes sense to me to have it that way- why would I want kids paying attention to the hallway instead of me? Even if they're really focusing on me, why put an extra distraction there for them to "ignore." Even if classes aren't out there, kids are constantly walking by going to the bathroom or whatnot, and sometimes adults talk in the hallway. Our hallway is small, so you can also hear what's going on in other classrooms if you have the door open. When my door is open during planning, I can hear 3-4 other teachers pretty clearly. I also do a lot of collaborative work or even "turn and talks" during whole group so I don't want our noise to disturb anyone else either. Obviously, a closed door isn't going to keep admin from walking in.

6. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Oct 3, 2012

If I am by the restroom, I keep the door closed (helps with the smell) but if I am far enough away, I'll leave the door open.

7. Bella2010

Bella2010 Habitué

Oct 3, 2012

Closed so nobody can hear me yelling at the kids. :lol: Joke, that was a joke. I promise.

We usually start the morning with the door open, but when students start changing classes I close the door because the halls are too noisy.

Beth

8. iteachbx

iteachbx Enthusiast

Oct 3, 2012

Open, unless it's loud in the hallway or my kids are loud in the classroom.

9. mkbren88

mkbren88 Cohort

Oct 3, 2012

At my old school, I always taught with the door open It was much easier for people to stop by since they didn't have to interrupt my class to walk in. At my new school, we have an open campus so my door opens up to the outside. If I leave it open, it would get too hot in the room and we have a big bug problem and I don't want to let the crickets and cockroaches more opportunities to get in than they already have. It is annoying because when ever someone opens the door, it tends to distract my students.

10. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Oct 3, 2012

I work at 2 schools. One is a tiny speech therapy room. I could do either but it's more trouble keeping the door open since I don't have a door stop, than to just keep it closed. The A/C works great...nice 'n cold! :)

I can't stand my other school's speech room...thank God it's not permanent! It's bigger, but it's a room within a classroom & there's no A/C ducts, so it's either close the door & start getting hot & stuffy & put up w/ the horrendously loud plug-in fan OR open the door & have the big classroom full of kids & 2 teachers be able to listen to practically everything you do/say. Grrr! :mad:

I have no window in either room.

11. Shanoo

Shanoo Habitué

Oct 3, 2012

It depends. Normally, I keep it closed but this year I've been teaching with it open. It's been crazy hot here so I've been teaching with the window and the door open, trying to get some kind of breeze going through.

12. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Oct 3, 2012

As has been mentioned, our rooms all open to the outdoors in SoCal. We aren't allowed to keep our doors open if the ac is running (which so far, it always is!!!) because of energy costs. I like it closed. It's not locked when we're in there and admin comes in whenever they want to.

13. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Oct 3, 2012

I normally leave my door open. Sometimes I shut it due to noise, but I usually open it back up as soon as it subsides.

14. readingrules12

readingrules12 Aficionado

Oct 3, 2012

I don't agree that open or closed doors say much of anything about a teacher. I have known lots of teachers and I fail to see that good teaching and open doors are linked. There is a teacher who use to yell constantly at the students, had no classroom control, and to our poor luck, she liked to keep the door open.

In Arizona, our doors open to the outside, so it depends on the weather. When it is 115 degrees, no one has their door open unless they want to get in trouble for wasting A/C.

Personally, I am a little of both. I like to do a lot of hands on Science and Social Studies activities that can get rather loud. At those times, I close my door in courtesy to the other teachers. In the morning, when we do quieter work, I often have the doors open.

15. EMonkey

EMonkey Connoisseur

Oct 3, 2012

I keep my door open a lot. I close it when my class is getting noisy or there is a lot of noise coming from the hall.

16. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Oct 3, 2012

Almost all of us keep our doors closed. A tiny building + paper thin walls = lots of noise. Plus it's way too easy for a kid walking to the restroom to pop in and say "hi" to me or one of the kids when the door is open!

17. TerriInCa

TerriInCa Companion

Oct 4, 2012

I keep mine closed while I am teaching.

I would prefer to keep it open, but the area outside of my classroom is the indoor lunch area/meeting area for students so it is often nosier out there than in my classroom.

18. Mathemagician

Mathemagician Groupie

Oct 6, 2012

It's a QSAC violation to keep the doors propped open with doorstops or anything like that...we got an email stating that. We don't have any automatic hinges that keep the doors open either. As such, closed door is the only way we can teach.

19. ll1301

ll1301 Rookie

Oct 6, 2012

My cooperating teacher usually has her door open, but when it's noisy from other grades transitioning, she will close it.

20. jteachette

jteachette Comrade

Oct 7, 2012

I usually keep mine closed, but there are windows in the doors. There is a lot of noise bleed over from the other classes, and I do a lot of noisy activities. I do it out of respect for the other classes.

21. ecteach

ecteach Groupie

Oct 7, 2012

closed. This year, our principal told us to keep our doors closed and locked. We were all shocked, because every other year we were told to keep them unlocked at all times. Who knows! lol

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.