Do you teach with your door open or closed?

Discussion in 'Debate & Marathon Threads Archive' started by greendream, Oct 3, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. greendream

greendream Cohort

Oct 3, 2012

In my school, it's often whispered that the best teachers teach with the door open, and that the ones who teach with the door closed have something to hide. What do you think?

3. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Oct 3, 2012

I like to have the door open most of the time. I do close it if my students are being noisy or if there are students working at the computers in the "pod" outside of the classroom. Even if my door is closed, I consider it "open"--I don't do or say anything that I wouldn't let everyone else in the building hear.

4. GemStone

GemStone Habitué

Oct 3, 2012

I often close the door because students switching classes in other grades are extremely loud and no adult monitors them.

5. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Oct 3, 2012

This. I'm not trying to keep anyone out, but my room is near the library and it's distracting when classes go in and out.

6. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Oct 3, 2012

I only close the door if we're being too loud (i.e. during labs and other things or when we're dragging desks around), when I play a video, or when the class next door or something in the hallway is being too loud.

Otherwise I feel claustrophobic.

7. lucybelle

lucybelle Connoisseur

Oct 3, 2012

I close the door. Otherwise the wind/drafts always slam it shut! I have two giant entire wall windows so anyone can see what I'm doing at any time:)

8. scmom

scmom Enthusiast

Oct 3, 2012

We are supposed to teach with the door closed. It saves on energy, creates less distractions and is considered safer here but much of that is because our doors open to the outside, not a hall.

9. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Oct 3, 2012

This is me as well.

10. platypusok

platypusok Companion

Oct 3, 2012

Sometimes open. Sometimes closed. If the kids are working on group things, then it is closed because they are generally loud.

Plus my heat/air is cranky. Sometimes, it can be set on 90 and it be 50 in my class and sometime it can be set on 50 and be 90. And sometimes it works perfectly. So sometime my door is open to let heat or air in.

11. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Oct 3, 2012

I normally teach with the door closed because....

1. My classroom is near the athletic fields, and the PE classes are always very loud.
    2. My classroom opens onto the outside. If it's too hot or windy (blowing dust) outside, my students are physically uncomfortable.
    3. I think it's safer. A closed door allows me to control who enters.

I do sometimes open the door if the weather is nice.

Besides all this, my administrators all have keys to all the rooms. If they want to see what's going on in my classes, they can just come on in and see for themselves.

12. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Oct 3, 2012

My classroom has several walls that are windows, so anyone can see what's going on in my classroom if they walk by. I don't have a problem with that.

I normally have my door closed, though, for two reasons:
    1. There's a lot of switching of classes amongst the upper grades. They all walk past my classroom and tend to be very loud.
    2. My next door neighbor keeps her door open. Her voice tends to carry, so I can hear her teaching if my door is open.

13. ATXMusic

ATXMusic Rookie

Oct 3, 2012

I don't want all the noise from other classes and hallways in my classroom.

I know you don't want the noise from my class in the hallway or your classroom.

My door is almost always shut.

14. Mamacita

Mamacita Aficionado

Oct 3, 2012

In the middle school, we were required to keep our doors shut and locked because of the possibility of violent intruders.

I had one, once.

15. stampin'teacher

stampin'teacher Cohort

Oct 3, 2012

I close my door mostly because parents like to linger and see our open door as an invitation to walk in and chit chat, either with their kid or with a teacher (yes, even while teaching!). Parents sign their kids in & out of the class each day, so the closed door is a signal for parents to mosey on out.

We always have tours etc. so they know they can still just open our door and pop in to observe.

16. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Oct 3, 2012

This might make sense in your school but would be actually dangerous in mine. It all depends on the students and school environment. I highly doubt people are intentionally "hiding" just because they close a door.

17. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Oct 3, 2012

I think that's very, very...silly. I shut my door because the halls are a distraction. I'm not sure how a shut door would help a struggling teacher "hide" his or her deficits...an administrator can just, you know, turn the knob.

18. Ranchwife

Ranchwife Companion

Oct 3, 2012

Door is closed to eliminate distractions for me and especially for the kids.

19. John Lee

John Lee Groupie

Oct 3, 2012

You don't see how a struggling teacher might want to her/his door kept closed?

20. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Oct 3, 2012

I think to whisper "that the best teachers teach with the door open, and that the ones who teach with the door closed have something to hide" is ridiculous. It's not going to do much good to shut your door if you're struggling. Maybe it would give the sense of privacy and security, but it would be a false sense of such. But really my point was that the general thought of the best teachers keeping their doors open to shine their beacon of brilliancy to all others is silly.

21. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

Oct 3, 2012

If I kept my door open, there would be:

• A lot of noise from the playground, especially balls hitting the fence less than 10 feet away.
    • The balls that miss the fence flying into the classroom.
    • Kids outside the door at recess making faces at my students
    • A hot blast of air from outside on hot days, and on rainy days, a steady stream of wind and rain coming in the door. Since my room is small, several kids would be soaked by the end of the day.

22. orangetea

orangetea Connoisseur

Oct 3, 2012

I usually keep it open, but close it if there's noise coming from another classroom or the hallway. The hallways are usually pretty quiet so keeping the door open isn't an issue like it is for some people here.

23. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Oct 3, 2012

Every teacher at our HS teaches with the door closed. Not sure why, that is just the way it is.

24. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Oct 3, 2012

I try to keep my door open most of the time. I like how the room feels with the door open better than with a closed door. I will close my door if we are doing something that will be more noisy so that I don't disrupt other classes. I will also close the door if other classes are being noisy.

25. Lisabobisa

Lisabobisa Companion

Oct 3, 2012

All the doors in my school are shut. There was an incident a few years back that started this policy. The key to one classroom door will open any classroom door, so any teacher or administrator can enter.

26. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Oct 3, 2012

I always had my door open, because my room had no windows and I felt closed in. My kids learned to tune out any distractions.

27. thirdgradebuzz

thirdgradebuzz Comrade

Oct 3, 2012

All doors must be closed and locked all the time. It's pretty annoying, but I understand the need for safety precautions.

28. Curiouscat

Curiouscat Comrade

Oct 3, 2012

Usually it is closed because the other grade level teachers are out there talking. The other grade we share a hall with just lets
    the kids walk/run/yell/talk as they walk down the hall in what is suppose to be quiet lines at all times.

The custodian also likes to use the very loud floor cleaner as soon as classes start. Then the other grade level teachers in the hall have to talk louder to be heard over the noise of the floor cleaner.

Funniest part is that my students are the ones that close the door 99% of the time. The other teachers get all huffy, but I say oh well!

Today we were dancing as a brain break I will admit the music was a bit loud, but it wasn't ridiculously loud, and the other 3 teachers slammed their doors shut after one of them slammed mine shut. One Of my precious children commented that now they know how we feel when they are out in the hall talking. I just love kids!!:love:

29. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Oct 3, 2012

This. It's funny how that does change the feeling of the room...

30. Cicero

Cicero Companion

Oct 3, 2012

I teach with my door closed, because we do a lot of loud activities and I don't want to disturb other classes. For instance, we have songs that we sing together as a class to remember different Latin endings. We also do some vocabulary games that can get wild (in a very controlled, fun way I think). However, any given time during the day our CF drops into everyone's classes for at least 5 minutes to observe. So I don't think that having the door closed would let me hide something even if I wanted it to.

31. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Oct 3, 2012

My room is at the end of the hallway that connects to the main building stairwell. I'm also next door to two offices. The band and chorus rooms are on the opposite side of the hallway. All three of our grade levels have different schedules three periods per day, so there are kids changing classes and walking by my door when I'm teaching. Keeping it shut is the way to go.

32. Ross

Ross Comrade

Oct 3, 2012

Door stays open (unless noise in the hallway) plus window blinds all the way up. I want the room to be bright, cheery, and inviting.

I also open the windows, regardless of the weather ("But it is raining out!").

33. HistTchr

HistTchr Habitué

Oct 3, 2012

I almost always teach with my door open. I close it if it's noisy in the hallway or if I'm showing a video that might interfere with other classes.

34. LouiseB

LouiseB Cohort

Oct 3, 2012

My door is ajar. There are kids walking the hallways and it distracts my students. There is a teacher around the corner that is quite loud as he doesn't shut his door. That can intrude on us. I also have a door very close to mine so sound carries from one to the other. I also keep the door locked so if we happen to have an intruder call, I can just pull the door shut.

35. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Oct 3, 2012

Open, unless someone across the hall is teaching a particularly loud class.

I have no reason to shut them otherwise.

36. lucybelle

lucybelle Connoisseur

Oct 3, 2012

When my windows are open and it's raining, the rain comes inside!! But we have serious rain here. And giant windows. :)

37. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Oct 3, 2012

I teach with my door closed because we are expected to keep them closed to save energy--we don't want to heat/ air condition those hallways! :)

38. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K. Enthusiast

Oct 3, 2012

Closed. I have a window wall that looks out to the hallway, so anyone can see in if they want. Plus, I'm across the hall from the Chinese teacher, and while I love her to pieces, she's LOUD!

39. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Oct 3, 2012

I have 3 doors, and they're all closed. It's too loud in the hallway and outside at recess time to leave them open. Also, it's loud in my classroom and I don't want to disturb the classes near me.

40. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Oct 3, 2012

It is a district-wide rule that we have to keep our door closed to save on heating costs. Some doors actually do not stay open.

41. Resentful

Resentful Rookie

Oct 3, 2012

Closed and locked. I have a new coworker who tries to walk in, and stays for long periods of time, and has sent students into my room without my permission. I used to keep the door open, but you can't always do it. During my student teaching a longterm job I had before, I had to keep the door closed because some of the special needs students got distracted.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.