Do you teach sentence diagramming?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by otterpop, Apr 21, 2015.

1. otterpop

otterpop Phenom

Apr 21, 2015

Does anyone teach diagramming - elementary or hs?

I never learned it. My kids could handle it, though, and I teach quite a bit of grammar... is there any point in teaching this skill?

3. miss-m

miss-m Devotee

Apr 21, 2015

I only just found out about sentence diagramming yesterday because of the other thread about it... and I wish I'd learned it in school. I never had a lot of problems with grammar, but the visual of how the sentence parts fit together and which parts modify another part would have made the rules and terms so much clearer.

4. otterpop

otterpop Phenom

Apr 21, 2015

Same for me. I'd heard of sentence diagramming but never really looked into what it even was.

It's funny, because I took a ton of language classes in high school and college. I guess it's just not taught. I don't want to teach useless skills, but do like how it is a visual representation of the connections of different language parts.

5. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Apr 21, 2015

I taught Project Read: Written Expression which is an elementary version. I think it helped my writing scores.

6. showmelady

showmelady Companion

Apr 22, 2015

I learned this

I learned this in 6th grade. That was a REALLY long time ago. It helped make sense of how to use words!

I see questions today on some of the worksheets the kids have (I am a sub), and the questions essentially ask for info that would be perfectly clear if the kids had ever been taught to diagram a sentence. The problem is, they have never been taught and they struggle with it.

I wonder what the reason was for deciding to not teach this skill.

7. a2z

a2z Virtuoso

Apr 22, 2015

Because the belief became that grammar is to be caught, not taught. Someone did some "research" and determined that students who read a lot tend to internalize grammar. It was then extrapolated that teaching grammar (and most everything else) as a distinct skill is a waste of time because students will internalize it by reading high quality materials as part of being wholly immersed in language.

8. ktdclark

ktdclark Comrade

Apr 22, 2015

I do simple sentence diagramming with my second graders, using shapes to identify nouns verbs and adjectives and how to use them...not sure if that is REAL sentence diagramming though?

9. JJdog

JJdog Rookie

Apr 22, 2015

It was tedious but helpful

I learned this skill in middle school in the late 80s. I didn't realize it had fallen out of fashion.

I think there is value in it. Wouldn't some version of it fall into the "skills based" portion of a balanced literacy program?

I am curious if others agree.

10. showmelady

showmelady Companion

Apr 23, 2015

Regarding the 'grammar should be caught not taught' theory, how well do you all think that has worked?

When I think of that concept I always think of how many people today will say that something is "so fun", when what they REALLY mean is that something is "so MUCH fun". And being from the "old school" (both in time and ideas) it just makes me shiver when I hear that. (and other really strange uses of words)

I think that language should be a living thing and that it should evolve and change and expand. But I also think that the basics are like the foundation of a building. Without it the building is on really shaky ground. When it comes to our language, add to the lack of grammar proficiency the trend of people today using so much "text-speak", and maybe we are missing something that we should be teaching our kids.

11. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Apr 25, 2015

I was never taught sentence diagramming in school, but I stumbled upon books as a teacher that taught it. I taught sentence diagramming to my 5th graders for a few years before I switched to ELL. They didn't like it much, but their writing improved.

12. ktdclark

ktdclark Comrade

Apr 25, 2015

I was never taught formal grammar until I started learning a second language (French) in Jr. High...ironically English became easier once I understood and was EXPLICITLY taught the rules. I think there should be a grammar component taught at every grade. I know it is a super valuable tool for my ELLs in Second Grade.