Do you teach lowercase/uppercase first?

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by darlin77, Oct 19, 2009.

1. darlin77

darlin77 Rookie

Oct 19, 2009

I have always taught the upper and lowercase letters at the same time, but after doing some reading, I'm thinking about switching to lowercase first. It makes sense that most of the print the children will come in contact with will be lowercase, yet preschools seem to focus on uppercase. I know Kindergarten teachers that get frustrated that the children want to write in all uppercase letters. I'm thinking of exposing them to both upper and lowercasw visually, but focussing on writing lowercase first then adding uppercase later. I am interested in your thoughts on this.

3. vbubbles1874

vbubbles1874 Companion

Oct 21, 2009

I teach both @ the same time. I show them the proper way for writing their names.

4. LvToyFoxTerrier

LvToyFoxTerrier Rookie

Oct 22, 2009

I expose them to both visually at the same time but then have them practice writing the lowercase letters only. (Except for the capital letter at the beginning of their name)

5. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Oct 22, 2009

I teach both at the same time. Words everywhere aren't written in just upper or lower case. There is a mix all over they place, so they need to learn that mix.

6. Rebel1

Rebel1 Connoisseur

Oct 23, 2009

I teach both @ the same time. What really gets me is I am teaching the children the proper way & some of them are taught by either their parents or previous teachers, to use UPPER CASE only. I dot their whole names using the right way that they see in print. I have them practice on the letters that they CAPITALIZE all the time. It is confusing to some of them and frustrating too.
    What really bugs me is to walk into a classroom and all the letterings on the boards are CAPITAL LETTERS! I'm like, :D"Hello! Mix it up!":angel:
    Rebel1

7. vannapk

vannapk Groupie

Oct 24, 2009

I also teach both at the same time for the very same reasons SpecialPreskoo mentioned. I'm curious though what you have been reading, could you please post a link?