Do you teach Kindergarten without a TA/Aide?

Discussion in 'Kindergarten' started by thechangingtabl, Dec 13, 2008.

1. thechangingtabl

thechangingtabl Companion

Dec 13, 2008

I received a call last night from a parent. She told me that several parents were concerned because I am teaching my class alone most of the time. They want to go to the board to demand an aide.

I teach a K-1 class in a hands-on/multiple intelligences concept charter school. She (the parent) is the only one who volunteers weekly in the class (every Friday afternoon). I have 17 students on all different levels. Her child is the smallest and youngest of all and his issues are self-control. I believe it is the age. He has a short attention span and easily tires of activities after 5 minutes. I allow him to move to a choice center spread around the classroom so that I can continue working with my whole group or small groups. The mother sees this and thinks I have no time for him. I don't have the one-on-one time I would like with him and others.

I am teaching K-1 for the first time. I did teach a 1-3 self contained emotionally disturbed class my first year teaching, and it was not pretty.

Of course I would love a full-time aide, we have two aides in our school to help, but they are helping in ALL the classrooms, plus they teach specials, so they are not always available for me. Of course, me not being able to handle 17 kids is a reflection of my teaching abilities too I guess. I am learning, trying out different things to create classroom community, independent activities to keep them engaged, all while teaching letter recognition with some, word families to others and handing three reading groups in 1 from Levels K-P.

Is it parental expectations? or should I really have a full-time aide in this type of school setting? I remember my children's K classes having more parental volunteers, not sure about permanent in-class aides though. In this day of budget cutting, I am sure they are not a priority!

3. chicagoturtle

chicagoturtle Fanatic

Dec 13, 2008

Our kindergartens have a 28 max (plus 2- so they can go to 30) no aide.

Oh this is for Chicago Public

4. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Dec 13, 2008

Our kindergartens are full at 23 (I think). No aides.

5. roseteacher12

roseteacher12 Habitué

Dec 13, 2008

in the school i currently work none of the K classes have aides. in the school where I used to sub two of the classes had aides and it was because they didnt have their own bathrooms inside the classroom

6. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Dec 13, 2008

Most of the districts around me have 20-22 kindergartners and no aide. My district has one aide for the kindergarten to share and it works out to have her 3X per week for 45 minutes. Some teachers have her supervise centers to have more small group reading time and the rest of us have her pull small groups for tutoring the kids that need it the most. I don't think it is a great idea to continue to allow this student to get up and remove himself from the group. At what point is he going to learn to concentrate for longer periods and learn the lesson you are teaching if he continues this all through kindergarten? It is going to be very hard to break this habit now or in first grade.

7. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Dec 13, 2008

I have 21 kids and no aide. A friend of mine (in another district) has 23 kids and an aide for 2 hours in the morning. I'm not sure how I would feel about an aide...It would be nice at times, but I also think I wouldn't always like it.

8. Kteacher06

Kteacher06 Companion

Dec 13, 2008

Our max is 30. I currently have 25 with an aide and I know I couldn't do it without one, especially with my inclusion students. I guess if I didn't have an aide, I've have parents in the classroom all the time.

9. TeacherC

TeacherC Connoisseur

Dec 13, 2008

We have a max at 18, and I currently have 15- we never have an aide unless we have a student who needs a one-on-one.

10. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Dec 13, 2008

I've never had an aide assigned to my classroom. Same as some of the others, we have 3 aides for the entire school. Often they are even pulled to cover classes where they have no sub. You get used to doing everything yourself. I think any parent that thinks in today's economy that a school will add an aide to a classroom because they asked for it, is just crazy.

11. AMK

AMK Aficionado

Dec 13, 2008

I have 25 with an aid. I used to teach without an aid I had anywhere from 18-22 kids.
    I teach in a pretty urban area and most of my kids are low. We are pretty much the only school with a full time aid. Other schools with kindergarten share aides.

12. starbucks

starbucks Comrade

Dec 13, 2008

I have never had an aide in my 13 years of teaching Kindergarten. None of the local schools surrounding my district have K aides either.

13. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Dec 13, 2008

I'd be a little concerned if a parent was going to the board demanding an aide for your class...you don't want the board to get the impression that you can't handle your class...

14. NewGirl23

NewGirl23 Rookie

Dec 13, 2008

On our campus our cap is 22, however, they try not to put more than 18-19 in a room. This year is an odd year because we only have 15-16 due to enrollment. There are 12 K teachers/5 aides. Each teacher has an aide for 2 hours a day (with the exception of one who has a full time aide due the nature of her class). I am so thankful for an aide. I could not get as much done without her.

15. kinderK27

kinderK27 Rookie

Dec 13, 2008

I have 30 and an aide...I don't know what I would do without her. But I haven't had young students (kindergarten and preschool) without one.

16. trayums

trayums Enthusiast

Dec 13, 2008

We do not have any aides or TA's in our classrooms unless we have a child who has an IEP that specifys an aide.

17. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Dec 13, 2008

Our kg. teachers need to have 28 students before they get an aide. The teachers in the "at risk" areas get an aide automatically.

18. thechangingtabl

thechangingtabl Companion

Dec 14, 2008

Thank you all for your input.

I think my class is working out well (from my point of view). But of course, there is always room for improvement!

The charter has a classroom model is that is quite loud at times. The kids are encouraged to get up and wander to the various stations and centers around the classroom outside of whole and small groupings. This is hard for parents to understand especially when they compare this type of education to their experiences or their other child's traditional school settings and classrooms. So from the outside, it does seem like I do not have control at times (OK sometimes I don't!), but it really is a controlled chaos of two meshed grades, with children 5-7 learning, playing and becoming independent!

It is crazy at times and especially during reading and math centers, I would love another body in their with me. I have parent sign-ups for volunteering, but they seem to have waned in participation recently. Hopefully after the winter break we can get more people in my class helping out.

I talked with my principal last night and she said if the board can come up with the money, then we will take the aide! We are also looking for a gifted, ESE and speech pathologist (all-in-one--one person with all of those certifications) to hire full-time too! I was told to not take it personally (it is hard not too!) and that the parents seem to run teachers away easily -- but what is the benefit of having a multiage classroom if there is a new teacher every year??

19. mom2sands

mom2sands Comrade

Dec 15, 2008

I don't have an aide, but I only have 12 students. Our classes are divided between low, medium, and high abilities. I have the high group. We have resource once a week for 40 minutes and library every other week. That's it. I do have a duty-free lunch thank goodness! I get a pee break at 10:30 just after reading and prior to math. That's the only time I see a para. It would be nice to have one once or twice a week for say a half hour. It's difficult to get some things done and my room is sometimes atrocious (sp?) by the end of the day depending on what we've done that day!

20. m.awesome

m.awesome New Member

Dec 15, 2008

I have 13 kindergarteners with no aide. I had a few special needs kids (behavioral problems) so I had special ed teachers come in for an hour a day but since they left, I am alone. I love it, I love the sense of community we have. I had 17 last year with no aide and the year before I had 21 pre-k with no aide for most of the day (2 hours in the afternoon) either.

It's a small private school that has tons of aides all over for the preschool rooms but none for kindergarten since we legally don't need them.

21. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Dec 15, 2008

I have 17 students and a kindergarten classroom aide plus one of my students has a one on one. So there are always three adults in the classroom.

22. Kindergarten31

Kindergarten31 Cohort

Dec 16, 2008

We haven't had any classroom aides in years due to our budget crunch. When we did have them, they were shared among classes. It depends on the aide whether they are helpful or not. The one we had was an elderly lady (I am not sure quite why they hired her) who was so much extra work for me, I ended up having to do everything over. I would give her the simplest things to do and somehow she would mess it up. So once you get used to NOT having an aide, you just learn to manage your time differently.

23. katrinkakat

katrinkakat Connoisseur

Dec 29, 2008

I have 28 students and my cap is 30, although we do go over some years. I don't have an aide, but the morning teachers come in for 1 1/2 hours in the afternoon during UA time and ELD.
    I would love to have one parent volunteer each day, that would be a great help, and a full time assistant would be wonderful, but it's true as the other posters said, you learn to do it all by yourself after awhile. It's managable.

24. kimrandy1

kimrandy1 Enthusiast

Dec 30, 2008

Each of our K classes has 19-20 kids and there is one aide that they share among four classes. She spends an hour a day in each room and is on lunch duty/recess duty/arrival & dismissal duty the rest of the time.
    Kim

25. little317

little317 Groupie

Jan 2, 2009

I have 19 students with no aide. We lost our aides a few years ago due to budget problems.

26. luvtoteach

luvtoteach Rookie

Jan 10, 2009

I know what you mean. I taught for two years without an aide and moved to a new school this year. We were told early on that we would have all-day aides and I was so worried about this. I knew the help would be great, but I was worried about ending up with someone who was hard to work with. It worked out good for me, but another teacher in my GL is butting heads with her aide. It can be a blessing or a curse I guess. I get my aide all day except for about 2 hours - we have 24 to 25 kids in each class. Last year I did 23 in a class with no aide and it was fine.

27. cubfan

cubfan Rookie

Jan 16, 2009

I have 22 and I get an aide for 1 hour a day. 30 minutes of that hour is the RTI aide who works with one of my reading groups during our RTI time. Don't know what I would do with out her!