Do you teach bell to bell?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Doug_HSTeach_07, Mar 12, 2008.

1. Doug_HSTeach_07

Doug_HSTeach_07 Comrade

Mar 12, 2008

I was curious to see how many teachers do this. As a first-year teacher, I've found that keeping the kids busy every day the entire class period is essential to classroom management. There is less down time; hence, less time for in-class shenanigans and talking.

I also look at it this way: These kids have 43 minutes with me, which comes out to under 40 when you factor in attendance, grading, handing back homework, etc. I need to maximize every minute I can, and I do. Although it is a challenge sometimes, I will keep teaching "bell to bell." I just don't see the value in giving kids 10 minutes at the end of class (as some do) to waste time. I'm there to teach, not hang out.

3. blessedhands

blessedhands Comrade

Mar 12, 2008

Bell to Bell it issssssssssssssssss and its wonderful, keeps me and them busy and time flies by fast..

ding

time to go.

oh there is a 4-5 mins timeframe in between.

4. Brendan

Brendan Fanatic

Mar 12, 2008

I teach to the bell everyday, they usually at the end of the class are doing classwork.

5. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Mar 12, 2008

I have a bell ringer activity as they walk in the door so I can take attendence and collect homework and I give them the last 10 minutes to start homework in class. Otherwise I'm teaching or supervising an activity.

6. ddb23

ddb23 Companion

Mar 12, 2008

Not me - I start before the bell and they dismiss about a minute after the bell. Running to their next class keeps them in shape!

db

7. carlea

carlea Comrade

Mar 12, 2008

Bell to bell here too! We don't have any passing time so I use those first few minutes to pass out papers, have them do bell work, take attendance, etc. A few times the lesson has ended with time to spare so we'll do some creative thinking activities or "ask me a question" (they just ask me random questions). We're usually right in the middle of something when the bell rings!

8. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Mar 13, 2008

You're teaching them to ask questions? That's incredibly cool!

9. Bored of Ed

Bored of Ed Enthusiast

Mar 13, 2008

I think starting right away gets you going on the right foot, but I like to leave some buffer time at the end. Two reasons:
    1. I don't trust myself (and my kids) to time it so perfectly that I can schedule it tight and finish at the bell.
    2. I like to take some time at the end of the day to wind down, make sure everything is in order, get them excited if there's something special planned for the next day, etc. I see that OP teaches high school so that's probaby not so necessary.

I used to have a read-aloud as the last thing on my schedule before pack-up, but now I've switched it and it works beautifully: First we get everything ready to go, then when everyone is in his seat with his backpack ready and desk clear, I read aloud until the bell. I can't imagine why I ever did it differently :D

10. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Mar 13, 2008

I do here. I can tell that in other classes teachers must leave some free time, because I get kids packing up 10 or 15 minutes left at the end of class! I just add time on when they do that. :)

11. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Mar 13, 2008

I teach almost constantly. They actually start with morning work before the start of classes bell. I have found that giving this group more than 7 minutes of free work time is a huge mistake unless I'm reading to them. Yesterday we went outside for science. When they were done with their projects I let them play until it was time to come back and prepare to go home. That was a mistake though because they were wild and running around the room yelling and screaming. I think it will be a long time before any more extra free time is given. Yes, I teach bell-to-bell with different forms of teaching from lecture/discussion to popcorn reading to hands on investigations to showing videos.

12. Briana008

Briana008 Companion

Mar 13, 2008

I aim for bell-to-bell, but being a student teacher I have at times completely misjudged how long some activities/lecture will take. Usually the students are working on some independent or group assignment at the end of class so some finish early and have free time while I work with the others. Almost all of them have a book or some other assignment to keep them busy.

My mentor teacher, on the other hand, goes through his plans for the day and then gives them the rest of the period off. In the week since I handed back control of his first period, he has finished at least 30 minutes early every day! One day he gave them an entire hour of free time! (We're on block so each class is 90 minutes.) For those of you wondering, this is a class without an EOCT, so he can kind of do whatever he wants.

Carlea, I'm intrigued by the "ask me a question" activity. Do you limit the questions to your subject area or have any other guidelines? How do the students respond?

~Briana~

13. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Mar 13, 2008

I have too much to cover to give them "down time".

14. ancientcivteach

ancientcivteach Habitué

Mar 13, 2008

Some 10,000 years of world history in 180 days - no down time here :)

15. La Profesora

La Profesora Cohort

Mar 13, 2008

It really depends on the situation, and I try to be flexible.

If it is a laboratory, sometimes it goes over or under and you can't help it.

If its a lecture, I can ALWAYS continue to ramble on... I'm the queen of add lib :)

If they are working, they always like to start packing up early, and the unpacking I make them do is SOOOOOOO frustrating, plus I give them enough work to keep 'em busy!

16. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

Mar 13, 2008

SOOOOO glad you are back :hugs: Please if you have time give us an update on you and your little one :love:

17. futureiowateach

futureiowateach Rookie

Mar 13, 2008

HAHAHA!

18. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Mar 13, 2008

Yes, LaProfessora, we need an update.

19. cheeryteacher

cheeryteacher Enthusiast

Mar 15, 2008

I try to leave 5 minutes at the end of class for them to start homework. If they start to pack up-well they will end up unpacking because there is always work to do!

20. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Mar 15, 2008

Bell to bell, no (very few) discipline problems.