Do you talk too much?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by VANewbie, Jul 26, 2011.

1. VANewbie

VANewbie Devotee

Jul 26, 2011

I find myself talking a lot when I get nervous and then regret talking so much.
    I was having a convo with someone at school today about the projectors in our room. I started jabbering away. I couldn't stop. I hate awkward silences as well.

I can't stand it. I also find myself trying to prove myself with stuff I say especially if it is someone who does not know me.

3. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Jul 26, 2011

I am a nervous talker as well and I hate silence so if someone isn't responding I just keep on talking :lol: I've gotten better about it but my boyfriend still gives me a hard time every once in awhile. I'm a big talker in general, inherited that one from my Mom! She can talk to anyone!

Quick, funny anecdote: My Mom was at a hospital one day (she's in med sales) and was alone in the elevator with a great, huge, ripped young guy. She remarked "Isn't it a nice day today?" and he replied "Yes, it is. I just got home." She goes "Oh were you serving in the military?" He said "No I was in jail." :eek::lol: She said he seemed like a nice guy but it was kind of intimidating!

4. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

Jul 26, 2011

Guilty! If I'm nervous I'll go on and on about something. I had to really fight to keep that in check when I was interviewing!

5. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Jul 26, 2011

No. I am more of a thinker. But, given the situation and the mood I'm in, I can become quite the talker.

6. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Virtuoso

Jul 26, 2011

I'm not a talker in person. I'm pretty quiet in general. I might actually be the reason that some "talkers" feel the need to jabber away. I bother them being quiet.

I'm a talker online and around friends sometimes.

7. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jul 26, 2011

I'm not a talkative person at all. I keep to myself. If I converse with a very talkative person, I'll talk more than usual though.

8. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jul 26, 2011

I'm a nervous smiler. I don't talk too much but I think I sometimes smile too much when I don't know what else to say. :lol:

9. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Jul 26, 2011

I'm much like the saying I love about cats..."If cats could talk, they wouldn't."
    I don't like to talk and many times don't listen to other people when they're talking to me. I find most conversations boring.

10. VANewbie

VANewbie Devotee

Jul 27, 2011

I am quiet and do not like to talk either. I have also ignored many conversations. I pretend like I'm listening but I'm not. Sometimes when someone is talking to me too long my eyes start to hurt and I get dizzy.

11. Ponypal

Ponypal Comrade

Jul 27, 2011

I talk all the time. I love telling jokes, making funny comments and trying to make people happy by keeping life lively. I talk to people that I don't know and have learned so much about human nature. I even made jokes during my unplanned c- section. Besides being a teacher, I own a business, and maybe thats why I need to be a vocal person. I could go on all day ... =D

12. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jul 27, 2011

I think it's kind of rude to ignore people when they're talking to you, especially when they're just trying to be nice. If you don't feel like talking, maybe it would be a better idea to just politely excuse yourself rather than let the other person think that you care about what they have to say when really you just think that they're boring.

13. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Jul 27, 2011

I'm a talker when I'm bored but I think I'm happier being a listener. I hate when people repeat the same thing over and over again when they are trying to validate what they are saying (especially when you know that they have no experience in what they are talking about) or talk to me like I am not bright.

We had one sub who was provided to our school on a f/t basis. I thought she had tons of teaching experience after listening to her stories and her telling us what we are doing wrong and what we should be doing. I soon learned that this was her first year of teaching and most of her stories were things that "other teachers" experienced or it occurred during her student teaching. I think she talked a lot to help her fit in...

14. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Jul 27, 2011

O.K. Excuse me," I don't feel like listening right now." :lol:

15. VANewbie

VANewbie Devotee

Jul 27, 2011

HA!

I need to clarify. There are people who are just natural talkers. They like to talk and do not just talk because they are nervous. These people are the ones where I tune out after 15 mins of talking to me during my break or when I am ready to go or in the middle of something. You all know the ones. The ones who only talk about theirselves and their issues and want anyone to listen.

16. knitter63

knitter63 Groupie

Jul 28, 2011

I am a nervous talker, and I also hate awkward silences! I feel the need to explain myself, even if the listener "gets it". Then that leads to awkward silence! My DH is super quiet, and I sometimes find myself explaining his silence. Ugh.