Do you take notes when you are being interviewed?

Discussion in 'General Education Archives' started by Lesley, May 7, 2006.

1. Lesley

Lesley Habitué

May 7, 2006

So how many of you take notes during your interview for a position? Do you take notes on questions they ask? Do you take notes on the questions you ask and their responses? I never have, but wondered if anyone does. When I have been interviewed, the person takes notes on what I say.....

3. Malcolm

Malcolm Enthusiast

May 7, 2006

No, I don't take notes when I am being interviewed. I have interviewed hundreds of people for jobs, and none of the candidates took notes. It is normal for the interviewer to take notes, but not the candidate. I think it would be considered odd at best, and perhaps rude, for the candidate to take notes. He should be focusing his attention on answering the interviewer's questions and selling himself. OTOH it is not a bad idea to write down what you were asked as soon after you leave the interview as possible.

4. Lesley

Lesley Habitué

May 7, 2006

True, I thought it odd, but I heard a few people discussing that they took notes when they were asking questions concerning the district that was interviewing them. I had not heard of doing so, nor considered it a possibility, but wondered, since I have been out of the interview scene for 10 years if there was something new.

5. Malcolm

Malcolm Enthusiast

May 7, 2006

I would say the only appropriate time would be when asking questions of the district folks, if then. Personally, I would not do it for fear of making them uneasy. Just asking too many "you" oriented questions is not a good thing. And there is plenty of time to get all the information you need after they offer you the job.

6. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

May 7, 2006

I have never taken notes during an interview but the only time I would ever consider taking notes is at the end of the interview when I ask my questions about the position being offered/the school/the school district/admin. expectations of their teachers.... (I will write down their responses that may influence my taking the job).

7. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

May 7, 2006

I always take notes during an interview, but I've developed the skill of looking straight at someone, and writing without looking down. That way, I have their total attention. I always tell them I'm going to be making some notes so I can remember all of the important things about their school -- so they don't wonder what I'm doing. Most seem quite impressed and it sort of reminds them that an interview is a two-way street -- it has to be a good fit for BOTH parties.

8. Lesley

Lesley Habitué

May 7, 2006

Rainstorm, do you take notes as they ask you questions or just when they answer your questions?

9. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

May 7, 2006

I take notes during the entire interview -- If they say something that strikes me. If they start telling me how they teach guided reading, for example, I make quick notes on it. I don't stop the interview process, or make it hugely obvious, but I don't want to forget what was said.

I also jot down who said it. It helps a lot when it comes time to write thank you notes. I can make personal comments, such as "Ms. Jones, it was really interesting to learn how you structure your guided reading block, and that your school makes such extensive use of word walls. I'm very impressed with that, and can't wait to try it in my own classroom this fall." It makes more of a statement than "Thank you so much for the interview." It shows I was listening, and valued what was being said.

I guess the trick is -- it has to be seamless. It can't take away from the interview, or make them stop and slow down. Otherwise, I think it would be a hinderance.

10. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

May 7, 2006

.....and how is that working for you Rainstorm? Have you received job offers? I have always taken mental notes, jotting down anything I might forget when I get to the car. I've never seen anyone take notes during an interview, never taken notes when I've been interviewed. I want to stay focused on my answers to their questions....gathering info from them is important, but I write the notes later....

11. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

May 7, 2006

Oh I have a job right now Cza Cza... last time I was looking for a job I went to 4 interviews with principals, and got 4 offers for a job. I love where I'm working right now.

12. Danny'sNanny

Danny'sNanny Connoisseur

May 7, 2006

I had an interview for a sales position where I was told on the phone before hand that they expected me to take notes.
    But, that ended up being a pretty creepy interview. I was offered the "job" but didn't take it because they wanted a few hundred dollars to "secure my position".

13. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

May 7, 2006

Danny'sNanny, I wouldn't have taken that job either! Who asks YOU to pay money to secure a job!? HELLO!?!?!

14. NCP

NCP Comrade

May 8, 2006

I haven't seen anyone take note during the interview, but we do put out the questions for people while they are waiting and many have come in with notes written on their copy of the questions. I have also seen some people pull out some notes of questions they want to ask us.