Do you take in a (Cheat Sheet)?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by anewstart101, Jun 7, 2012.

1. anewstart101

anewstart101 Cohort

Jun 7, 2012

I know not the best word -- I was on an interview panel recently where someone brought in a piece of paper with key points to talk about and questions to ask. I actually liked it!

I have an interview and I was going to bring a note book in with me. What would you write in it to prepare? If you have been on an interview panel what do you think of someone bringing in a cheat sheet?

We ended up hiring the person who had the cheat sheet.

Thanks

3. PCdiva

PCdiva Connoisseur

Jun 8, 2012

I honestly think its a little weird. I do bring a portfolio though and refer to it to show examples. So maybe its not that weird.

4. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Jun 8, 2012

I always brought a notebook. I didn't have anything written in it, but I don't see why you couldn't jot down programs you know that are used at the school, questions to ask, and take a few notes throughout the interview.

5. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Fanatic

Jun 8, 2012

What would you say if they asked you what you were looking at?

6. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Jun 8, 2012

I had copious notes written down when I went in to my recent interview with a college. I had questions, points I wanted to make, and key items to remember. I had in on a small legal pad that fit inside a professional looking black zip closed leather binder.

I take notes on everything. I wouldn't go into a meeting with my former P or with my new boss (VP of the college) without them.

As you can tell, I got the job.

7. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Jun 8, 2012

I would tell them that you have a few questions written down that you wanted to ask and a few ideas that you wanted to make sure you shared. Be honest.

Also, ask if it is okay to jot down a few notes.

8. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Jun 8, 2012

Take it one step further and make a portfolio with clear examples of your philosophy, planning, assessing, and management strategies.

9. TeachingHistory

TeachingHistory Companion

Jun 8, 2012

I have a post it note that I put inside the front cover of my portfolio with questions specific to the school district. That way, if I draw a blank I have something to reference.

10. Missteacherlady

Missteacherlady Rookie

Jun 8, 2012

Re- Cheat Sheet

Before each interview, I would write a note card with some facts about the school- like their mission statement, goals, ect. and a couple of questions that I wanted to ask at the end of the interview. I always took the card with me, but never actually needed to refer to it in the interview. Writing things down helped me remember!

11. msleep

msleep Rookie

Jun 8, 2012

Have you ever seen the one interviewing you sit and try to remember each question they were going to ask? Of course not. Remember, you are also interviewing them. So it is ok to have your questions jotted down.

I might find it a little weird though if someone comes in with answers to questions jotted down.

12. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Jun 9, 2012

I type up a list of questions to ask at interviews. I keep it in a folder that I keep in front of me. When they ask if I have any questions, I use it to record the answers. When you go on a lot of interviews it can be easy to forget the answers, especially when you're nervous! I have never had anyone seem to think it was a problem.

13. Special-t

Special-t Enthusiast

Jun 9, 2012

I think it's totally appropriate to bring a notebook to jot down information and questions. And, would feel very comfortable having a few notes and key questions jotted down. Invest in a nice looking notebook that suits a formal, businesslike interview.

But, don't spend the entire interview jotting notes and referring to your cheat sheet. It's really important to be flexible enough to listen and respond spontaneously.