Do you store folders for students in MS?

Discussion in 'Middle School / Junior High' started by cmw, Jul 15, 2012.

?

How many of you store folders for students so they will have them for class?

Poll closed Aug 14, 2012.
  1. I keep my students' folders & pass them out daily.

5 vote(s)
    35.7%
  2. I keep my students' folders but don't pass them out daily.

3 vote(s)
    21.4%
  3. I do not keep my students' folders. They bring their folders daily.

5 vote(s)
    35.7%
  4. Other

1 vote(s)
    7.1%
  1. cmw

cmw Groupie

Jul 15, 2012

How many of you store folders for students in MS so they will have them for class?

My thoughts/ situation...
    Last year I made it the responsibility of my students to bring their folder to class every day. They only need a folder & pencil for my class so it won't break their backs to have it. :p (I even provided folders for those that did not have one). They were able to use all their papers on quizzes (even the final). Yet many did not care enough to keep their papers & bring their folders. Having their folders was part of their grade (being prepared) in addition to earning tickets & school reward cards for being prepared. So I'm debating keeping their folders for them in class.

I think an issue is that several teachers in my school already keep the folders for the students. I'm wondering if I should just cave in & do it.

What do you all do? :thanks:

3. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Jul 15, 2012

I keep student notebooks in my classroom. When we need them, students just get their notebook out from the bins. I do this for several reasons. First, I want accurate data. This allows me to ensure that this is the student's work (not a friend or their parent). Second, I want access to this data at any time. By keeping it in my room, I can grab it and see how the student is doing. Third, I want the student to see their progress. They can see how they were doing in the beginning of the year and compare that to any other point in the year. Fourth, I want some student work for conferences to share with parents.

Now, I wouldn't just keep it in my room because students couldn't be trusted to hold onto it. Students need to be taught responsibility and how to keep their belongings.

4. HistTchr

HistTchr Habitué

Jul 15, 2012

I teach high school (mostly ninth grade), and I give all of my students folders at the beginning of the year. I keep them in the classroom, and pass them out when I'm handing back tests, quizzes, or other assignments that I don't want students to keep. Students get them back to keep at the end of the school year.

I have students keep daily notes/papers in their notebooks (3-ring binders). I don't collect those or keep them in the classroom, although I periodically do "notebook checks" to be sure they're organized.

5. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jul 15, 2012

Well, I don't pass them out daily, but students get them upon entering the room. Not folders, but binders. :)

6. cmw

cmw Groupie

Jul 17, 2012

Just bumping the topic...hoping for more responses. :D

7. courtney

courtney Rookie

Jul 21, 2012

I plan on requiring that my students provide a spiral notebook to be kept in my room for their daily objectives/discussion openers ("Do the DO!") for the same reasons mentioned above: monitor progress, have data readily available for reflection and conferences, allow students to take home their notebook at the end of the year to show their growth throughout our time together...

8. Shanoo

Shanoo Habitué

Jul 21, 2012

I have a folder for my students. In that folder they are required to put all of the work that I have assessed. They have a separate binder for all of their practice work (I teach math).

The folder stays in the room and they have access to all of the assignments in the folder until the test. The week before the test, if they wish to take the folder home to help them study, they are able to.

9. myangel52

myangel52 Comrade

Jul 21, 2012

I have designated drawers for each of the classes to put their notebooks in. They are responsible for putting them in and taking them out.

10. trulyunic

trulyunic Rookie

Jul 22, 2012

This very topic has been on my mind for the past few weeks.

I will be teaching 9th grade FL this year and my mentor teacher said she provides her students (140-160 of them) folders for notes etc and they keep them in the class and dont take them home. She said they do not come to class prepared and this way they will have their items.

I feel some kinda way about having to provide HS students a folder :/ that is a basic school supply that they should be responsible in getting for their classes. I also feel some kinda way about them not having anything to study and take home to review the lesson and vocab etc. :/

Still trying to figure out how to do my class...