Do you stick with the lesson plan?

Discussion in 'General Education Archives' started by JimM, Sep 4, 2005.

1. JimM

JimM New Member

Sep 4, 2005

I subbed for the first time this past week. 2 days in a 4th grade class, and one day in a TOUGH 3rd grade class. Both teachers provided a detailed, almost minute to minute lesson plan.
    HOWEVER, It seems to me that sticking to the lesson plan to the letter is almost going to be impossible some days, with some classes. The combination of being disoriented with the new class and procedures, and the increased noise level and behavior problems on "sub" day will mean I'm just going to have to reschedule the day at times, even skip the Math, or Health lesson or something just to gain a cushion of time.
    I was fine with the 4th grade class, I finished them an hour early both days and we played games. The 3rd grade class? I was 15 minutes behind all day and could barely control them enough to give them the lesson.

Any thoughts?

3. jcg

jcg Cohort

Sep 4, 2005

You know most teachers leave more detailed lessons than can ever be accomplished in a day! They don't want the sub to have to worry about it. I always leave a note to explain that and I think it is the nature of the beast--being over prepared. My own lesson plans for myself--I never get them all done. Maybe it's me, but I think that's how most teachers are prepared. ;)

4. Malcolm

Malcolm Enthusiast

Sep 5, 2005

Yeah, don't sweat it. It is a lesson "plan". It is not written in stone. Plans are subject to revision if circumstances deviate from what was assumed when the they were created. Nobody can stick to the plan all the time. If they can, the plan isn't aggressive enough.

5. TeacherC

TeacherC Connoisseur

Sep 5, 2005

I try to stick with the plans as much as possible, but like you said, some times it just cannot be done. I agree, I think most teachers "over plan". They usually know that not everything will get done...just be sure to let the teacher know what didn't get finished so they can cover it the next day. :)

6. chava_1908

chava_1908 Rookie

Sep 5, 2005

When I first started subbing three years ago, I tried to follow the lesson plans to a T because I wanted to be asked back and I didn't want to be fired! Now I think if the students complete some of the assignments that's fine because discipline problems do arise and have to be addressed immediately! Other circumstances occur that are out of your control and remember they are not your fault. JimM, sorry you had an aweful elementary class. Use give me five method by Dr. Wong, have dictionary work and other punish work for the bad ones, have a bag take with you filled with your own goodies in it! Take away PE, computer, and any other activities if the bad behavior keeps up.

7. jenglish97

jenglish97 Devotee

Sep 5, 2005

Teachers do overplan and I feel that they want to make sure substitute teachers have enough to do during the day. I do not think teachers want to come back to school the next day and hear or read about being bored or we finished everything really early. I know that I over plan but I also have a folder with extra activities or plans for the substitute teacher to do.

I do not always follow my own lesson plans. Sometimes lessons go really well and others just flop right before your eyes. I am fine that the substitute teachers do not get to everything done that is planned as long as they write me a note of what they did.

Actually I have been very fortunate to have another teacher working with me in the classroom. I am the inclusion teacher and when I am absent the regular education teacher continues the lessons and helps the substitute teacher out for me and her. When the regular education teacher is absent I usually continue the lessons and have the substitute teacher follow my role. It is really great. By that is besides the point.

As a substitute teacher, I would bring in a bag of activities (hidden pictures is good), and other things to have that you can to with the class when things are accomplished. You may want to have the students earn speical time at the end of the day (15-20 min extra recess, game in the classroom) if they behave and get everything done. If you have a troubled class, then I would give them the option, if we do not get our work done then you will not have the extra recess at the end of the day.

The teacher should give you information about students who are a problem and needed to be constantly monitored. I always write the substitute teacher a list of names to go to. Good luck!

8. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Sep 5, 2005

I also leave more than enough for the class to do while I'm gone. I also leave a folder of 'in case you run out of things to do' stuff. I leave things that are pretty much routine lessons in my room- the kids know what to do, the sub just has to guide. I don't like leaving andy NEW concepts as I prefer to teach those. That said, it really isn't a good idea to IGNORE the plans the teacher left (believe me- I've seen this- subs who come with their own plans and pretty much ditch what the teacher left!!) It's great to have a game or book in your bag in case you have extra time, or as a reward if the class is good, but it is best to stick to the plan the teacher left- I know I take A LOT of time leaving very detailed plans and needed supplies as well as lists of procedures, behavior mgt plan, pull out schedule, etc- When I come back I expect that the plan has prettymuch been followed.

9. smileyd

smileyd Comrade

Sep 5, 2005

Its good to hear that the classroom teachers don't get upset when we don't get everything done. I know how bad I feel at the end of the day if I don't manage to finish all the activities. But, I always make sure to leave details of what happened in my daily "sub-note", so the classroom teacher knows what did get done and so they don't have to rely on the students telling them "no we didn't do that" or "yes we finished that". I also make sure to tidy up the classroom and desk so that she doesn't come back to a messy room. At least that gives her a good impression of the day before she gets to read my note!

10. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Sep 5, 2005

I definitely think that as long as you try to get through everything it's fine. There will most likely to be times too that you can look at the things that have been left and decide what things should be done and what was left as "busy work." I know when I was student teaching one teacher had a sub and complained that the sub skipped giving a quiz that she had left and was not happy that it hadn't been done!

11. Suburban Gal

Suburban Gal (formerly Elizabeth) Banned

Sep 5, 2005

I try to stick to the lesson plans as closely as possible and in 99.9% of the cases the teacher leaves one. I was only left without a lesson plan once. I also usually get a 'in case you run out of things to do' pile or folder as well. The teachers always make it clear that I'm to get as much done as possible and they're usually pretty good about understanding if I don't get that far along or if we don't finish things because they do realize things happen that are beyond our control. However, the districts are paying me to keep classes on track and that's why I follow lesson plans as closely as possible. My job as a substitute is not to come in and have them do nothing or very little. My job as substitute is to keep the class running smoothly and efficiently as possible in the teacher's absence and that's what all the teachers including everyone back at the district headquarters expect of me.

12. txmomteacher2

txmomteacher2 Enthusiast

Sep 5, 2005

I agree I try as hard as I can to follow the lesson plan to a T. But as some of you have mentioned things happen that aren't your fault. I have known subs that follow the plans left for them and then I have seen the ones that make up pop quizes just because they think the kids are misbehaving without knowing if any of the kids need modifications. I do know that I like having specific plans from the teachers, even down to were I will find the stapler if needed. I know that sounds really strange but just having that in my sub plans that I read in the morning sure does save time during the day. I have only had one or two teachers who were that specific and it was really nice. Of course then there are teachers who are like the teacher I subbed for last Friday who left me no specifics like how they do lunch count or were the morning songs were at. It was really frustrating and it made me feel like I was failing at being a sub because that just started they day on a bad note. I felt like I was trying to catch up all day. I do have to say that everytime I walk into a classroom as a sub, I walk out with a little more knowledge on how to be a good teacher whether that means I learned how to teach something or I just learned how to treat my subs.

13. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Sep 6, 2005

My cooperating teacher during student teaching always asked that the sub simply high-light on her plan book the things they got to... she did the same thing, so it was real easy to see what we'd gotten to and what we hadn't. I know you probably wouldn't want to do that in the teacher's plan book if you weren't asked to, but perhaps you could do that if it was just a written out sheet or whatever...

14. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Sep 11, 2005

I try to stay as closely to the plan as possible. Most of the time, the teacher never seems to leave enough to do because usually subs don't teach the lesson as thoroughly as the teacher themselves would, but I try to drag it out. To be on the safe side, I usually bring my own worksheets from home that they can all do on their own & it takes a while to do, such as word searches.

15. Mrs. U

Mrs. U Rookie

Oct 10, 2005

Most teachers are pretty flexible if you try to follow the plans and don't get everything done. I have subbed for a few teachers that were hired directly out of school, have never subbed and don't quite understand how it is different for a sub. But, all you can do is your best.

16. myangel52

myangel52 Comrade

Oct 10, 2005

I always try my best to stick with the lesson plan. To me it is just a matter of respect... the teacher took the time to leave lesson plans and details, so that I could do my job and teach it as much as possible like the regular teacher would. I mean, they know the class, they know what needs to be done, and I am only there for a day. How could I possibly know better? It would be disrespectful, in my opinion, to disregard the plans.

That said, there have been days where I could not finish all that was left, and there have been days where there has been extra time. But that is normal. We just do the best we can! :)

17. kermy

kermy Companion

Nov 7, 2005

it is nice to know that the teacher is flexable, they have to be. They know how it feels on sub days. the teacher i once had would leave post its number on all the major things she wanted done. #1 read this book to ch/ whatever and that way i didn't have to find the book or rely on the kids to try and trick me. Most teachers know we do what we can. =)

18. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Nov 7, 2005

I leave regular classroom plans and then extra work if they need it (in addition to the sub box I have, which has worksheets in each grade). I also leave a one page sub report where they tell me who was absent, checked out, etc, which kids were really good and which, if any were a problem, what lessons they didn't get to, and what I could have done to make the day easier for them. My main expectations from a sub, keep the kids busy and don't let them destroy the room! :)

19. GlendaLL

GlendaLL Aficionado

Nov 7, 2005

I always follow the classroom teacher's lesson plans. There are times when things don't go quite as expected. Last week I subbed for a 5th grade math teacher who taught four classes. The students were just not "getting" the concept. So, I only made it about half way through the lesson. I left a note for the teacher so that she would know what happened and where she needed to pick up the next day.

20. jenniatek

jenniatek Companion

Nov 7, 2005

OMG!!! If I EVER have a day that I follow my lesson plan it would be something else! I always digress and think of something else I'd rather do with them or that would be more appropriate! :eek: Yes, I still cover my curriculum though!

21. sdhudgins

sdhudgins Comrade

Nov 7, 2005

When I leave lesson plans for a sub, I purposely leave more than could ever be finished, just to make sure there wont have to be time filled.

I do expect them to do what I leave, but if it's not all done that's not a big deal. I have had subs just do whatever they wanted to and that upset me because it put me significantly behind. Like I said though if they don't get everything done, no biggy, because I probably left them three days worth of stuff anyhow!!!

22. sdhudgins

sdhudgins Comrade

Nov 7, 2005

Be careful with taking away pull outs like PE or Music or Art
    depending on the state it may be REQUIRED for them to go.
    (Arkansas mandates 40 minutes of music and art, and I'm not sure how much but also mandates the PE time per week)

23. Hnana

Hnana Rookie

Nov 9, 2005

I was told to bring work sheets for those times when they kids run out of things to do. But, it seems to me that their teacher leaves plenty of worksheets and the kids don't need to see another one from me. The teacher resorts to worksheets partly because she/he is not sure that I can handle teaching anything. Instead, I fill time by reading a book or playing a game with them. You can do "sponge" activities that make their brain work like asking them to name flavors of ice cream and not duplicate what another student said. In that one, they have to listen and remember. I had one group make a list of creative uses for a tin can. They were good and included using it for old grease or storing marbles to using it as a bathroom! When I was left with an entire hour with 5th graders, I gave them a creative writing assignment and urged them to be very creative. It was entitled, "I went camping and I met a Bear." One kid found one who spoke Spanish. I also carry a book called "Book of Questions and Answers." We play trivia with it but just for short periods. It gives them a break from all those worksheets.

24. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Nov 10, 2005

sdhudgins is right. In Arkansas you cannot take away special times from the students. It is against the law.
    I understand that we won't get everything done in a day. I'm pretty flexible. The only problems I have is when subs do something completely different from the lesson plans. That's why I spend so much time planning for subs, is because I know what structure my kids need. I had one sub throw out my lesson plans one time and show a movie. They didn't finish it, so I was pretty much forced to show the rest of it (or I wouldn't hear the end of it from my students). She didn't complete half the things I asked her to. It's not like she didn't understand them. I had another substitute read them to make sure they were clear and precise.

25. AMK

AMK Aficionado

Nov 10, 2005

Where I work the children need to attend those special classes. They have to have so many minutes of each a week and they need to be met. I have a student who was going to be pulled ofr speech during our art time and I had to have his schedule changed b/c he has to go to art!
    I also leave A LOT of work and thank goodness I have an aid who runs the classroom when I am not there. She knows the routine and she works well with everyone so I am never concerned.

26. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Nov 10, 2005

When I subbed, I made sure I had extra fun worksheets and a book to read: just in case. As a teacher I leave extra work and and extra reading book, just in case.