Do you stay late to plan/grade or do you take it home?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Pisces_Fish, Jan 31, 2011.

?

When, where and how far in the future do you do your planning?

1. I do most of my planning during the week at school

38.8%
  2. I do most of my planning during the week at home

3.0%
  3. I do most of my planning on the weekend at school

7.5%
  4. I do most of my planning on the weekend at home

22.4%
  5. About 50/50 work & home

20.9%
  6. I plan for the next day

11.9%
  7. I plan for the week

34.3%
  8. I plan about 2 weeks in advance

13.4%
  9. I plan more than 2 weeks in advance

10.4%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Jan 31, 2011

Everyone has different preferences, and I find it interesting. I typically stay an hour after school, tops, to get ready for the next day. I NEVER plan during the week. I just can't do it. I do all my planning on Sunday. I will sometimes grade papers during the week, but that's typically only around the time grades are due for report cards/prog reports, or I want the kids to have immediate feedback for some reason. All my papers get graded within one week because I send home Monday folders to parents.

One teacher I know does 95% of her planning during the day while the kids are doing something independent. I couldn't plan in bits and pieces like that!

3. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Jan 31, 2011

I do most of my planning on the weekend, just easier for me. I also make what I need on the weekend.

I used to stay a little late (30 minutes a day) and come in early (about 30 minutes as well), but now that I have a little one I just can't do that. I want to be home with her. So, I do most of my grading at 7:30 because she is in bed.

4. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Jan 31, 2011

I usually get my planning done during my planning, but I prepare lectures and gather materials at home. I grade about half at school and half at home.

5. donziejo

donziejo Devotee

Jan 31, 2011

At home. I write my IEP's at home also. I use my time at school to gather the info I need to write the IEP's. I am a morning person so it is much easier for me to get up at 4 a.m. and do my planning. I don't have a planning time this year, but I will next year. I bet I will still do most of my work at home. I love working in my jammies:)

6. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Jan 31, 2011

I rarely do either. I bust my behind during my planning period and do as much as I can when I monitor study hall, and I use the 15 minutes I have after school. In a normal week, this keeps me on track.

During the end of the marking period or a unit or when I have a lot of essays due at once, I will plan out a night when I can stay late or go to the coffee shop to work. This happens about once a month.

7. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K. Enthusiast

Jan 31, 2011

About half and half, though I tend to do more PowerPoint and document work at home with my feet up. I tend to stay a couple of hours after the end of my work day, but that's not always concentrated work--I putter in my room, chat with other teachers, etc.

8. teacherhoosier

teacherhoosier Companion

Jan 31, 2011

Saturdays are my school day to come and get my stuff for the next week done (I usually come from around 10-11 to 3-4..stayed longer this week though since I had been sick last week and had really slacked in my planning)...school ends at 2:20 and our contract time is until 3:10..I live a half hour away from my school, so my goal is to be home by 4-4:15..and I'm able to accomplish this both days..I figure if I'm giving my time on the weekend to work, then I really shouldn't be having to stay longer after school..most of my work in the afternoon is either doing things I forgot over the weekend or troubleshooting for the next day...

9. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Jan 31, 2011

I too love to work at home where I can be comfortable and spread out without worry.

10. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jan 31, 2011

As far as how far in advance I plan, I have a curriculum calendar so I'm planned in that way for the year, but before each unit I get things in better order. That's not to say I won't be making the copies "the morning of" if I decide I need to reteach a skill or something along those lines.

I do a lot of informal work at home...researching, searching, playing around with things. For the most part, though, I would say it's 50/50 home and school. I'm really try to avoid the place on the weekends, but it's a struggle because going in on the weekends make the week run more smoothly.

I have a lot of grading to do tonight!

11. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Jan 31, 2011

Me too! I slacked on the grading over the weekend....so I'll make up for it tonight when my little one goes to sleep.

12. Emily Bronte

Emily Bronte Groupie

Jan 31, 2011

Planning I can do at school. I bust my tail to use every second of planning time. I can also plan if the students are working independently if I am desperate. If I am taking things home, it is usually IEPs. I am a naturally organized person so these things are easier for me.

13. Mr D

Mr D Comrade

Jan 31, 2011

I'm too tired to do anything after school, so I go in early. I try to get there around 6:00. Everyone thinks I'm crazy for doing that, but I get more done before school than I will the rest of the day.

Before I started going in early, I usually spent Saturdays at school getting things ready. I still go in some weekends to catch up, but not usually for very long.

14. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Jan 31, 2011

I work in bits and pieces during the week at school, but I've been teaching the same course for over 10 years... lol. At this point, I just tweak things each term. Every now and then, I'll add something totally new, but usually I've done *something* like it once before.

15. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Jan 31, 2011

I've got my year basically planned out before school starts, and I just have to tweak plans here and there to meet the needs during the year. I do that a week or two at a time.

I have always been a Sunday afternoon planner. Today I learned that they want plans before we go home on Friday afternoons. Now I'm going to change 18 years worth of routine. I'm a little resistant to change. :)

16. Mrs. Q

Mrs. Q Cohort

Feb 1, 2011

I work like crazy during my daily conference period and in the 10 minutes before + after school that we're required to be on campus. Usually I can get all of my planning and most of my grading done that way. Occasionally I fall behind in my grading and I will stay after school 30-40 minutes one day to catch up, but otherwise I get it all done at school.

17. Southernese

Southernese Rookie

Feb 1, 2011

I applaud the dedication some of y'all have. As for me, for the sake of my family and my sanity, my rule always has been to never take work home during the week or on weekends. All of my planning and grading gets done during my working hours, come hell or high water.

18. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Feb 1, 2011

I don't know if it is dedication or plan times spent doing other things. I often need to stop by to talk with another teacher about one of my students or the office. Then I waste time socializing or trying to find new lessons...

19. gutterballjen

gutterballjen Comrade

Feb 1, 2011

I'm realizing that I like to plan over the weekend for the next week. Last night I wrote preliminary plans for next week, and it was so hard for me to figure out when to introduce topic X when I'm not sure how far we'll get into topic Y this week. (Does this get easier as time goes on?)

The biggest issue with my routine is that our copy tech asks that our copies to be turned in 48 hours prior to when we need them.

Planning periods are usually spent getting the classroom ready for the next lesson coming up, or in meetings.

For the past few weeks, my mentor and I have been staying after school on Friday until 7-7:30pm planning the next week. She likes to stay late after school to work on things, but I would much rather work at home.

20. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Feb 1, 2011

Oh my! It does get easier! I promise! The first two years are the hardest because in year 1 you are planning everything and in year 2 you are changing everything.

By year 3, it's a little easier. But then you spend year 3-5 trying to get organized. So, give it time. By year 10, you'll look back and think...wow, I really did all that!

21. ally06

ally06 Companion

Feb 2, 2011

Yep, it definitely gets easier! I'm in year 10 :)ohmy:) of teaching and the fourth in the same year level. I still do a lot of work but I have a good idea of what works and know my curriculum pretty well. I try to get most of my planning done during the week and I try to get to school at least 45 mins before the kids arrive. I usually go to school for a couple of hours on the weekend - I find I can work much faster and more effectively then. If I have a busy weekend though and don't get up then it isn't really a big deal, everything still gets done.

22. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Feb 2, 2011

Does anyone who leaves on time most days feel like they are getting the stink eye from their co-workers? I always get these little comments, like if I am there later "Oh, you are STILL here?" It's not my fault that they can't get their work done during the school day. I hate being made to feel guilty.

23. callmebob

callmebob Enthusiast

Feb 2, 2011

I have had periods where I have come early, stayed late, done both, done only one. It all just depends on what I have going on in my life at the time. Now I am extremely busy with other things, as well as feeling overwhelmed with what we have to do. So I have not coming in as early, leaving as early as I can (basically the contract time). That does not mean I have everything done that I need to, but even when I stayed late, I never had everything done that I needed. So, didn't think it made a difference.

24. Mrs. Q

Mrs. Q Cohort

Feb 2, 2011

I do, silver. I'm a first year teacher and people have made snide remarks... I always feel like I have to sneak out, even though I'm leaving after the time we're "allowed" to leave. I did a TON of planning over the summer, I started two weeks before the rest of them and planned the whole year -- so I tweak weekly and grade my papers during conference. I do feel lucky that I'm able to do so, but I don't think I should be made to feel guilty....

25. smpeterson77

smpeterson77 Rookie

Feb 2, 2011

I do about 3/4 at school during prep or nap time and the rest at home. I wouldn't stay late or come early. I'm already there 9 hours a day!

26. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Feb 2, 2011

9 hours wow! That's a long day!

27. callmebob

callmebob Enthusiast

Feb 2, 2011

First year teacher and that well planned. Wow, that to me is quite impressive. I recall as a first year teacher I was constantly planning. Meaning, during the day while the students were doing one activity I was planning the next activity. I rarely ever had more than a couple hours ahead of time planned well ahead. If I had an entire day planned out and ready, it was an accomplishment to me.

28. callmebob

callmebob Enthusiast

Feb 2, 2011

Do I sense sarcasm

29. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Feb 3, 2011

Probably not. I get to school at 7:30 and leave at 5:00 every day at the earliest after my after school activity or faculty meeting is over. That's easily 9 hours a day at school. By then, I'm so tired I want to be at home!

30. crunchytxmama

crunchytxmama Companion

Feb 3, 2011

The computer I have at work is just awful...it's my principal's old laptop and it crashes constantly, so I end up doing most of my planning at home. I also grade at night while I watch tv.

I do my weekly planning on Sunday afternoons which I HATE. I dread it all weekend. I also make a daily schedule for the next day in the evenings, because my weekly schedule always seems to be shifting. I'm a part-time teacher, and my principal didn't do a very good job setting up the schedule. I never have enough time to teach what I'm expected to teach. 90 minutes for Reading/LA is just not enough time...anyway, that's another thread!

Since I'm part-time, I find that if I hang around at work too long I tend to get taken advantage of. I try to leave when I'm finished tutoring, otherwise I have people coming in and asking me to do things because they think I'm available.

31. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Feb 3, 2011

I've caught myself working until bedtime. Heck, I've caught myself working with students well past 10pm....

32. txteach26

txteach26 Rookie

Feb 3, 2011

I do about 70% of my planning and ALL of my grading at home! I'm with the others, I love working in front of the TV in my pj's!

33. timsterino

timsterino Comrade

Feb 5, 2011

That must be nice. Being a Special Ed. teacher, I never have that luxury. As my planning time is usually filled with something having to do with IEPs.

This is why I am transferring out of Special Ed. I get the same salary as a regular teacher with almost the same amount of kids now and much more paperwork to do.

34. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Feb 5, 2011

I did this! The amount of planning and grading is more during the first few years. However, by year three, things have really settled down. There is still a lot of grading...but the amount of planning has really settled down and things are beginning to fall into place.

35. timsterino

timsterino Comrade

Feb 5, 2011

I am done with year three this year and it is not getting any better at all. The extra work with the IEPs is too overwhelming for me.

36. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Feb 5, 2011

Sorry, not what I meant. Special education doesn't become less work. I meant that switching to regular education became less work after year two!

37. callmebob

callmebob Enthusiast

Feb 5, 2011

Sorry, I had quoted the wrong post. I meant to quote the one that said Wow, 9 hours. Its hard to be at the school any less than 9 hours.

38. G00d d00bie

G00d d00bie Rookie

Feb 5, 2011

I used to teach in a poor community where the teachers were "rich" and every little teacher detail was scrutinized. I would spend most time at home out of sight. Over 90% of the students would "boycott" (they called it) the state test to measure standards. The students would spend the minimum amount of time and then were allowed to go to the gym. The school got like 8% making AYP. In my opinion, they didn't really want to learn. If teachers were seen at a restaurant or McDonalds, they might be accused of just teaching for the money. The parents were poor and the students pretty much ruled the community. The parents loved their kids so much that all they would do is take the responsibility to argue for them.
    I think attitudes were similarly poor in the inner city schools. When I taught in Los Angeles many students there wasted their time at school. Teachers had to work harder, stay longer. I stayed many times after school working with the students. I knew they could learn the underlying principles, but they seemed in the habit of expecting quick answers. Like the community mentioned above, most didn't care to really learn the material. So I had no time at school to plan. I did most of my planning at home.
    Where I was brought up, students worked on farms early in the morning and evening, then worked on homework. They took responsibility for their learning. They trusted in God. I think the teachers had it easier. Farmer's families did not make much money, and did not have places to waste their money. (BTW, of the 20 farms in a 3 mile radius of ours, because of the political/financial pressures on the state from NYC (I think), only one was left by the year 1990.)
    Actually, I have taught in a one big city school where it was much easier and the school was ranked as one of the best in the state. The students took responsibility. Teachers there were happy, had fun, went home immediately at the end of their contract time, the principal was out of there, etc. I was one of the few teachers there that got students that no one else wanted to teach. When I took the job there to teach Chemistry, they gave me low level Math at the last minute (They asked me if I would and I wanted to be friendly and accepted). I spent hours after school calling parents. I resigned knowing it would be wrong to continue to be paid when the students were learning so little. After that experience I returned to the poorer community where they seem to believe I am just cursed, where years earlier a few parents said I was a marked man. I just felt they said it because they didn't like to hear the truth.

39. G00d d00bie

G00d d00bie Rookie

Feb 5, 2011

Here is another example. They got us the Collaborative Learning Curriculum Mapper a few years ago. Most teachers had great difficulties using it. It was not Windows or curriculum friendly. Everything had to be just right to the letter. Things teachers did were wrong and had to be changed. Teachers got so confused they thought they were losing information (months at a time). Many dared not do anything on their own time - always waited until we got together with the instructor who we paid to come in to help. I struggled and was thankful that I knew computers. I didn't get all the letters and numbers in the right place, some times had just letters where numbers and letters were required. I just decided that I would do it best I knew how, just to get something done on it as they wanted. I worked on my own time. But then it happened to me. I lost a whole month. I typed it back in. For some reason you can not save it separetely and it saves changes, saves the newly blank month. I tried to explain it to the instructor in June of 2009, but she turned it back on me that somehow I must have done something wrong just like the other teachers. I tried to figure out how I lost the month, but could not, not until I lost more months. Then during a meeting just a few weeks ago in Jan.2011 with a new instructor I discovered how it happens - just by answering the message box stuff that comes up the same way one would do in Windows. I showed a colleague. We called the instructor over. I showed her. Again this new instructor tried to turn it back on me, tried to dismiss me. We didn't let her go. She finally admitted that the program did have a glitch.
    Anyway, with a progam like that, who would blame the other teachers for not doing their curriculum mapping at home or on their free time as they seemed expected to do. I think many school administrators would. It seems like so many just hate the teachers.

40. TNPhonenix

TNPhonenix New Member

Feb 5, 2011

I do a little of both, I have a small child at home and I use Google Docs. I can access any of my files wherever I can get internet access.

41. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Feb 5, 2011

Planning is very easy for me to do. It is the prep that kills me. I do a ton of differentiated learning in my class so I could be making up to 5 different mini-activities for each lesson that I do. I find this year to be the most stressful in the last 4 years, as in the past I only had to make 2-3 different mini-activities.